[Kodi 18 Leia] Remote Control Issues
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone can help me with a problem. I have installed and tried the latest 20 nightly builds of 64-Bit Kodi. I am running Windows 10 x64, and using a Media Center Remote. The main problem is that the volume controls do not work. There are other problems as well with the remote functions , but I managed to hack my way around them using multiple things I found while searching the forum for self support. The losing control using the back buttons and volume issue seem to be well documented as well as the rest, but the volume problem there seems to be no workaround for. To me this seems like a pretty big bug. I don't want to get flamed here, but why does it seem like there are so many people complaining about the same types of issues on multiple threads and yet I cannot seem to find a single one where the Kodi Team is offering to help or even show concern? Is there something I am missing here? Someone also said that remotes were working until the middle of November Builds. Can we somehow just diff the changes and provide some information to get this working? Also, why is this not being addressed? Yes, I understand that I can just go use 17.6 and be happy, but I want to be  on 64 Bit. I understand that it is Alpha or Beta and "Buyer Beware" with how it will run, I just find it weird with the lack of support for this big issue, yet I can quote dozens of threads that have gotten responses from the Kodi Team about even the smallest of other issues, yet this one with many gets none. Am I missing something here?
" I cannot seem to find a single one where the Kodi Team is offering to help" humm.. "I don't want to get flamed here ". You didn't include a proper debug log posted to a public pastebin and that URL linked back to the post. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...#pid261211 The log will show what keypresses are given and seen.

Frustration some times leads us into exaspiration, not that it makes much difference to the solution. MCE remote controls (wiki) self help is always the best approach. Note  Add-onMain pages: :MCERemote and Add-on:Keymap Editor  Using an MCE remote control in Windows (wiki)

Most of the issues Kodi users have, are unrealized expectations of install and forget, while Kodi is very sophisticated software for the enthusiast who want to step above other media players and demands a certain level of competence from the user to customize to their taste. 

(installing badly coded add-ons is 90% of the messages, so they all look the like the same complaint). I use a Flirc and any remote just works!
(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: To me this seems like a pretty big bug.
Have you already reported it in Kodi's Bug Tracker

(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: I don't want to get flamed here, but why does it seem like there are so many people complaining about the same types of issues on multiple threads and yet I cannot seem to find a single one where the Kodi Team is offering to help or even show concern?
You just joined this forum today, and already you see "so many people complaining" AND feel like we don't give a f&$@. How nice, and very touching.

(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: Also, why is this not being addressed?
I understand that it is Alpha or Beta and "Buyer Beware" with how it will run, I just find it weird with the lack of support for this big issue,
You are using a software version that is considered pre-alpha. If you know something about programming, then you would know that errors are VERY common in the earliest stages of a NEW software version. Sometimes wheels need to be reinvented. And not everything can be solved at the same time. Of course you may think that your problems with a remote are the biggest problem, trust me it's not. If the current problems are too much fo your shoulders to bear, we can get you a refund. Oh, wait...

(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: Am I missing something here?
Yes. Have a little patience.
(2018-01-08, 17:18)PatK Wrote: " I cannot seem to find a single one where the Kodi Team is offering to help" humm.. "I don't want to get flamed here ". You didn't include a proper debug log posted to a public pastebin and that URL linked back to the post. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...#pid261211 The log will show what keypresses are given and seen.

Hmmm. well lets see, someone has already done that, and they got NO help, so, sorry, don't feel like doing the same.....

Frustration some times leads us into exaspiration, not that it makes much difference to the solution. MCE remote controls (wiki) self help is always the best approach. Note  Add-onMain pages: :MCERemote and Add-on:Keymap Editor  Using an MCE remote control in Windows (wiki)

Also, AGAIN, if you read all the other people with the same issues, they have been through all that, and none of the add-ons help or fix the issue... The problem didn't exist, but was introduced on the 11-16 build, and remains...

Most of the issues Kodi users have, are unrealized expectations of install and forget, while Kodi is very sophisticated software for the enthusiast who want to step above other media players and demands a certain level of competence from the user to customize to their taste. 

(installing badly coded add-ons is 90% of the messages, so they all look the like the same complaint). I use a Flirc and any remote just works!

Not using ANY add-ons.. Problem never existed before, now it does for many other users as well, don't shoot the messenger...
(2018-01-08, 17:52)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: To me this seems like a pretty big bug.
Have you already reported it in Kodi's Bug Tracker

No, but I can certainly do that if you want...

(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: I don't want to get flamed here, but why does it seem like there are so many people complaining about the same types of issues on multiple threads and yet I cannot seem to find a single one where the Kodi Team is offering to help or even show concern?
You just joined this forum today, and already you see "so many people complaining" AND feel like we don't give a f&$@. How nice, and very touching.

Just a statement, just because I only "joined" today doesn't mean that I haven't been here from the start... After reading others posts, including a Senior Members recent post about the same issue, they also feel that someone should be responding about this issue to the many posts... Again, just a messenger using free speech to say what I see..

(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: Also, why is this not being addressed?
I understand that it is Alpha or Beta and "Buyer Beware" with how it will run, I just find it weird with the lack of support for this big issue,
You are using a software version that is considered pre-alpha. If you know something about programming, then you would know that errors are VERY common in the earliest stages of a NEW software version. Sometimes wheels need to be reinvented. And not everything can be solved at the same time. Of course you may think that your problems with a remote are the biggest problem, trust me it's not. If the current problems are too much fo your shoulders to bear, we can get you a refund. Oh, wait...

Oh, how very professional, exactly what I would have expected... And specifically the comment about the remote...   ROFL, that is CLEAR AS DAY YOU DON'T CARE!! That is what this thread is about. You took more time to berate me than it would have to just fix it most likely...  Just Saying..

(2018-01-08, 16:27)VorpalZvezda Wrote: Am I missing something here?
Yes. Have a little patience.

8 more days will be 2 months of "patience", considering the "remote" ISW the main source of control for the interface and all.....

I got some response and some interest in the topic, my job here is done.  Thanks for all that took the time. We all really appreciate what you do here..  Also, When you want to see how much I do care, I can give you my PayPal donation transaction number...

Peace!  <3

Come on....lay off the guy. There has been plenty of Leia testers making note of the volume and focus issues for a little while now. I'd gladly send a debug log, however, I don't see any interest in the bug from developers (i.e. "hey, you got a debug log we can see?"). THat's all well and good, but, to take the time to actually give this guy crap rather than ignore THEM shows me priorities are messed up and maybe someone needs a vacation/break?
Oh well maybe none of the devs gives a crap about remotes working on windows. All you can do it's wait till some one does give a crap. Might take a week, might take months.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-01-11, 22:35)Martijn Wrote: Oh well maybe none of the devs gives a crap about remotes working on windows. All you can do it's wait till some one does give a crap. Might take a week, might take months.
 You guys all have bad attitudes lately.
(2018-01-14, 15:52)debennett2 Wrote:
(2018-01-11, 22:35)Martijn Wrote: Oh well maybe none of the devs gives a crap about remotes working on windows. All you can do it's wait till some one does give a crap. Might take a week, might take months.
 You guys all have bad attitudes lately.

Could certainly say that about certain users as well who appear out of nowhere and start ranting and demanding.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-01-11, 22:30)debennett2 Wrote: Come on....lay off the guy. There has been plenty of Leia testers making note of the volume and focus issues for a little while now. I'd gladly send a debug log, however, I don't see any interest in the bug from developers (i.e. "hey, you got a debug log we can see?"). THat's all well and good, but, to take the time to actually give this guy crap rather than ignore THEM shows me priorities are messed up and maybe someone needs a vacation/break?

Perhaps it’s been ignored because there’s been no proper bug report, I’ve yet to see anyone providing a debug log for the problems they are having. Personally speaking as someone who has a busy life doing this in their limited free time I prioritise my time on the forum, anything not reported in a proper manner is highly likely to ignored by me.
Considering this thread is not marked "solved" and has left some of us with a missunderstanding/

"Hmmm. well lets see, someone has already done that, and they got NO help, so, sorry, don't feel like doing the same....."

I'll invite my two cents worth. In software development, debugging involves locating and correcting code errors in a computer program. Debugging is part of the software testing process and is an integral part of the entire software development lifecycle. It's a requirment for support in these forums, and the software has been built to create a log each and every launch, although debug log must be turned on and the developers have made it as easy as possible to do this. NO debug log, so, sorry, I don't feel like helping.

"read all the other people with the same issues"

Not a lot of users are having remote mapping issues (perhaps this is saying something), I use a Flirc and any remote just works! https://flirc.tv/

"Problem never existed before, now it does "

Running Alpa software, New update of the O/S, No deb-log, No Bug Tracker ticket, with an attitude; perhaps you're not in Kansas?
(2018-01-14, 21:53)PatK Wrote: I'll invite my two cents worth. In software development, debugging involves locating and correcting code errors in a computer program. Debugging is part of the software testing process and is an integral part of the entire software development lifecycle. It's a requirment for support in these forums, and the software has been built to create a log each and every launch, although debug log must be turned on and the developers have made it as easy as possible to do this. NO debug log, so, sorry, I don't feel like helping.
Hmmm......  I wonder what Debug Log I am talking about?  https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=325571
They are having the same issue...
(2018-01-14, 18:00)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2018-01-11, 22:30)debennett2 Wrote: Come on....lay off the guy. There has been plenty of Leia testers making note of the volume and focus issues for a little while now. I'd gladly send a debug log, however, I don't see any interest in the bug from developers (i.e. "hey, you got a debug log we can see?"). THat's all well and good, but, to take the time to actually give this guy crap rather than ignore THEM shows me priorities are messed up and maybe someone needs a vacation/break?

Perhaps it’s been ignored because there’s been no proper bug report, I’ve yet to see anyone providing a debug log for the problems they are having. Personally speaking as someone who has a busy life doing this in their limited free time I prioritise my time on the forum, anything not reported in a proper manner is highly likely to ignored by me. 
Well, this seems like a Debug Log, correct?  https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=325571
Same issue as the rest...
@VorpalZvezda

I am not sure if you have confused your links or just being a bit of a smarty pants. But no, I do not see your debug log. All I see is a link to another post.

If you don't want to contribute in a co-operative and supportive manner, then go away.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-15, 00:33)VorpalZvezda Wrote:
(2018-01-14, 18:00)jjd-uk Wrote:

Well, this seems like a Debug Log, correct?  https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=325571
Same issue as the rest...

Seems to me people were trying to help on that thread, but lots of me too posts with no further debug logs which is completely useless to us.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Kodi 18 Leia] Remote Control Issues0