HEVC 265 4k stutter
I have two video files encoded with the hevc 265 codec at 4k resolution (2160p). Both files stutter pretty bad (one doesn't play at all...or at least, one frame each 20-ish seconds). I'm using openELEC (wanted something Linux that acted as an appliance) with an A8-7600 APU which is said to support 4k and hevc 265. 

I tried both files on my shield tv and one of them works flawlessly and the other stutters but not as bad (I believe the second one is 10bit). On my main server/machine (which has Linux mint and similar APU), VLC couldn't play either file. I installed the VLC 265 plugin and both still stuttered. I then installed another player (mpv? something like that..hehe) and the files played liked they do on the shield (the smaller one is fine, the second one stutters a bit but less).   

Is this a driver problem with my APU with Linux? Would installing a windows version fix it or are there settings I can play with?

Thanks..
AMD on linux still uses vdpau, which does not support 10bit at all. Currently work is ongoing to support AMD cards with vaapi incl h265 10bit, but it's not ready yet.
For the non-10bit case, try with a millhouse LibreElec nightly and post a Debug Log
thanks for the reply. Would a windows system more than likely fix the problem?
Hi...

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar setup and question. I'm running Millhouse libreElec nightlies for the same reason - wanted the computer to run like a standalone appliance or component. I bought a new Kaby Lake i3 setup specifically for the HEVC 4k support. 

While not horrible, My 4k (8 bit) playback is unstable. I bought a new nVidia GT 1030 to see if it would help, but Kodi 18 (in it's current alpha state) doesn't seem to be using HW decoding, it's just using SW still. 

Will this get better once Kodi 18 is more stable? Will nVidia support be enabled? Or, like the OP asked, should I just switch back to win10 and get better support for 4k? Possibly even 10 bit?
nVidia do not support 10 bit on linux.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-01-12, 10:56)nickr Wrote: nVidia do not support 10 bit on linux.
 And also won't do after currently (current VIP) hevc-10 bit AMD implementation for VAAPI (yeah, we consider dropping VDPAU for new AMD gpus) is finished.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-01-12, 12:18)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-01-12, 10:56)nickr Wrote: nVidia do not support 10 bit on linux.
 yeah, we consider dropping VDPAU for new AMD gpus  
I don't consider this atm. there could be a mix. VDPAU might still be better suited for the formats it supports.
I emphasize on new AMD gpus. It's currently either or. In my opinion it makes no sense to play h264 on vdpau and hevc-10 bit on VAAPI. Also the limitation to X11 with vdpau is a no go for all Ubuntu desktop installations, including 17.10 as it ships wayland by default.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I emphesize on "we" does not include the lead developer (me). We have not dicussed this yet.
... I don't think you port vdpau to Wayland, therefore I assumed common infrastructure facts as input for a common strategy (we). If you do that, then sorry for a wrong assumption.

If you don't want that x11 amd people have hevc10 support via vaapi, also fine.

​​​​​if there are technical facts I don't know other than you as the gatekeeper I am happy to hear and change my decision basis.
OK, so no nVidia HW support for HEVC 4K 10 bit in Linux for Kodi 18, but what about 4k HEVC 8 bit? Later Kodi versions?

Is this in the works or should I just switch to windows 10 to get full 4k HEVC HW support for Nvidia?

Either way, shouldn't a Kaby Lake i3 handle 4k HEVC 8 bit without problems?
KabyLake can play HEVC-10 bit 4k totally fine with v18 on Linux and Windows as of today. There is no need for this Nvidia overhead GPU, that has no need and no benefit for kodi at all, it's just wasting power. 
Remove the nvidia gpu from your system and enjoy fluent and well supported video acceleration on all OSs.
(2018-01-12, 20:17)fritsch Wrote: ... I don't think you port vdpau to Wayland, therefore I assumed common infrastructure facts as input for a common strategy (we). If you do that, then sorry for a wrong assumption.

If you don't want that x11 amd people have hevc10 support via vaapi, also fine.

​​​​​if there are technical facts I don't know other than you as the gatekeeper I am happy to hear and change my decision basis.

All I am saying is that we are far away from any decision in the regard. Neither you or I have even any AMD hardware ...
Change considering to speculating and all is fine Smile
Hehe - your speculation is wrong - I have an AMD card :-)

Edit: But yeah - I am speculating. And something personal towards nvidia: I hate it how they divide the Linux Desktop and how they stop progress for Linux in general by insisting on their blobs, not helping free drivers and don't accept Wayland ... while for their Tegra everything is different.
(2018-01-12, 22:36)fritsch Wrote: KabyLake can play HEVC-10 bit 4k totally fine with v18 on Linux and Windows as of today. There is no need for this Nvidia overhead GPU, that has no need and no benefit for kodi at all, it's just wasting power. 
Remove the nvidia gpu from your system and enjoy fluent and well supported video acceleration on all OSs.
OK, I will remove the nVidia card then. Thanks for the info!

Of course, that still leaves the question of why my HEVC 4k files are stuttering. It's running off a gigabit network, so I don't believe it's a buffering issue. Could it just be the nature of using Kodi 18 alpha nightlies?

Thanks for your patience!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC 265 4k stutter0