Solved Auto frame-rate switching is broken in the latest nightly
(2018-02-16, 23:00)da-anda Wrote: In order to get smooth playback in Kodi you can do two things:

a) use "Adjust display refresh rate"
in this case, the TV will switch to the FPS of the movie, which ensures not only smooth playback, but also allows for audio passthrough. So any AC3, DTS, TrueHD stream etc can be passed untouched to your AVR. This is only possible, because the rendering clock of video and audio can stay in sync since video doesn't have to be adjusted to match your TVs refresh rate (like frame blending/duplicating, ...)

b) use "Sync playback to display"
in this case, the TV will stay at your defined 60Hz and the video will also be smooth, since frame blending/duplication will be done (which is what Netflix and Amazon do). But in this case, audio passthrough will automatically be disabled, since it's not possible to properly "adjust" the timing of the audio packages to match again with the video (they would have to be "duplicated" which will sound terrible). We could ofc still do passthrough, but audio and video would get out of sync. So in order for you to still have surround sound, you need to adjust your audio settings accordingly (set number of speakers to what your AVR supports, like 5.1, 7,1 etc). With this mode, you WON'T get any Dolby Atmos, since, at least to my knowledge, it requires passthrough (the meta-data used by Atmos can't be sent via the decoded PCM audio stream)
Hi @da-anda.
Thanks for that explanations but this seems to be "only" theory. In fact, in pratic, also if I enable "Sync playback to display" (and disable "Adjust display refresh rate") the 24fps videos on a 60Hz output are NOT SMOOTH.
So, it seems that if the fps of the movie/video is for example 24 and the refresh rate is 60Hz there is not a settings combination to see smooth apart from enabling "Adjust display refresh rate"...
I repeat, in my case, it does not depend on the TV: I can see smooth movies with Netflix, with Amazon Prime Video also if the HDMI output is at 60Hz.
I can see smooth also with PLEX (also in audio passtrought) and VLC (also in audio passtrought) with exactly the same movie at 24fps and HDMI output at 60Hz with exactly the same setup.
The problem is only with Kodi.
To see smooth with Kodi the only way is to "Adjust display refresh rate".

So my question is always the same: WHY with the same TV and same HDMI output resolution and refresh rate (60Hz) I can see smooth 24fps movies with PLEX or VLC and NOT see smooth with the same 24fps movie played with Kodi?

With Kodi 17.6 there was not that problem (always with the same setup).
I do not want to be petulant but there is still a problem on Kodi 18 with this.

@wrxtasy if I understood correctly from your answer, you confirm what I noticed beacuse you have the same problem.

I hope in an investigation. Thanks!
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
TV: Panasonic TX-55EZ950E (OLED)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509 (HDMI ARC)
@outcave does this happen with all videos? And could you probably provide a Debug Log with this video playing so that we can see if it's maybe a buffering issue etc?
And I'm curious about your passthrough with PLEX and VLC - do you also get DTS and HD audio formats with passthrough on those players? Or only AC3?
(2018-02-20, 16:43)da-anda Wrote: @outcave does this happen with all videos? And could you probably provide a Debug Log with this video playing so that we can see if it's maybe a buffering issue etc?
And I'm curious about your passthrough with PLEX and VLC - do you also get DTS and HD audio formats with passthrough on those players? Or only AC3?
 @da-anda 
1. Yes, it happens with all videos.
2. I will provide Bedug log asap (I hope before weekend).
3. No "buffering" issue: Nvidia Shield, NAS and all others network devices are on 1 Gigabit LAN (full duplex).
4. Passthrough with PLEX and VLC works only with Dolby Digital (AC3). Also if my TV supports DTS (and DTS passthrough over HDMI ARC), with PLEX and VLC the passthrough works only with Dolby Digital (AC3). With PLEX and VLC If I play a DTS movie the audio will be "transcoded" to PCM stereo. With Kodi passthrough works also for DTS.

I will provide Bedug log asap (I hope before weekend).
Thanks.
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
as I wrote earlier, you can also use "sync playback to display" and have passthrough when you enable AC3 transcoding. This is then also what PLEX and VLC do in the background, since they HAVE TO adjust the timing of the audio they also need to transcode AC3. So at least we're not lacking any specific functionality in this regard compared to the other two.
(2018-02-21, 14:55)da-anda Wrote: as I wrote earlier, you can also use "sync playback to display" and have passthrough when you enable AC3 transcoding.
Why you still focus on "sync playback to display" feature? As I wrote earlier, the NOT smooth with Kodi happens independently of the setting "sync playback to display". I have NOT smooth playback with Kodi ALSO IF "sync playback to display" is enabled or disabled.
I have smooth playback with Kodi ONLY IF "Adjust display refresh rate" is enabled.

So, to summarize, movie at 24fps and HDMI output at 60Hz:

NOT smooth:
"Adjust display refresh rate" -> OFF 
"Sync playback to display" -> OFF   OR   "sync playback to display" -> ON

Smooth:
"Adjust display refresh rate" -> ON

Is it clear?

(2018-02-21, 14:55)da-anda Wrote: This is then also what PLEX and VLC do in the background, since they HAVE TO adjust the timing of the audio they also need to transcode AC3. So at least we're not lacking any specific functionality in this regard compared to the other two.

It seems that Kodi does not work as PLEX or VLC works in the same situation.
(2018-02-21, 15:22)outcave Wrote: Why you still focus on "sync playback to display" feature? As I wrote earlier, the NOT smooth with Kodi happens independently of the setting "sync playback to display". I have NOT smooth playback with Kodi ALSO IF "sync playback to display" is enabled or disabled.
I was bringing it up in reply to your #4 regarding passthrough for AC3 in PLEX and VLC. So Kodi is not different in it's PT capabilities when using "sync playback to display" (which PLEX an VLC also have to do without refresh rate switch). It was a unrelated comment to your smooth playback issue.
btw, tested yesterdays nightly on my SHIELD with sync-playback-to-display and didn't spot any issues with both 50fps (liveTV) or 24fps (movie) in either 59,x Hz or 60Hz of my TV. But let's see if your log reveals anything.  If not, maybe you can screen capture on your SHIELD, so that we can see the issue.
@outcave did you find a solution to this?

I just opened the same problem here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=334827

I've discovered that "sync playback to display" set to ON only works the way it should with SPMC. Any other Kodi versions results in judder.
just discovered this thread and opened a new one on my Shield TV Sad
But it s not actually solved ?
(2018-08-22, 16:06)Shasoosh Wrote: @outcave did you find a solution to this?

I just opened the same problem here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=334827

I've discovered that "sync playback to display" set to ON only works the way it should with SPMC. Any other Kodi versions results in judder.

I still have the issue when "Adjust display refresh rate" is setted to OFF.
Anyway my Kodi 18 is setted to "Adjust display refresh rate" to ON because I prefer to "respect" the content refresh rate and in that way the video is smooth.

EDIT: about "the issue" I refer to the video is still not smooth when "Adjust display refresh rate" is setted to OFF. No issues about the working refresh rates/resolutions switch.

EDIT 2: Since Kodi 18 version 20180924 the Video juddering / stuttering problems are finally SOLVED. Update your Kodi installation. 
(2018-08-23, 08:56)outcave Wrote: I still have the issue when "Adjust display refresh rate" is setted to OFF.
Anyway my Kodi 18 is setted to "Adjust display refresh rate" to ON because I prefer to "respect" the content refresh rate and in that way the video is smooth. 
 Any specific version you're using?
Alpha 18 and the 8\21 nightly doesn't change the refresh rate when the feature is ON on my SHIELD.
just downloaded the latest nightlies (8/22) and still problem on nvidia shield , auto frame rate doens't work on shield
I just tried an old nightlie : kodi-20180712-91822241-master-arm64-v8a.apk
same problem on nvidia shield , auto framerate doesn't work.
I m really surprised nobody report this problem since all this time Sad
2734369 (post)
(2018-08-23, 10:45)Shasoosh Wrote:
(2018-08-23, 08:56)outcave Wrote: I still have the issue when "Adjust display refresh rate" is setted to OFF.
 Any specific version you're using?
Alpha 18 and the 8\21 nightly doesn't change the refresh rate when the feature is ON on my SHIELD.

Did you enable the resolutions and refresh rates in Whitelist?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto frame-rate switching is broken in the latest nightly3