Linux [Mint 18.3 / Kodi 17.6] Failed trying to get Hama MCE remote control working
Hi everybody,

my last try to find any help to get my Hama MCE Remote Control (52451) working with Kodi 17.6 on my Linux Mint 18.3.

I followed every step and every change in this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...te+control but neither the lirc way nor the patch way with the github patch could make the remote control work like it did perfectly under Windows. A few buttons do what they should but other important buttons like "Play", "Stop" or "Next" don't.

Maybe the post ist too old so that the solutions won't work with Kodi 17.6 and/or Linux Mint 18.3. If so, does anyone have any newer information for me? I'd like to use this undestroyable remote control for the next 20 years :-D .

Thanks in advance.
Harry
When you installed lirc did you get the menu asking what kind of remote you have?  If you didn't install if from the Linux command line, you probably didn't.  So go to a Linux command prompt and enter this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

At the first page of choices scroll way way down until you see something like "Windows MCE compatible remote" (don't remember the phrase exactly, but it's near the bottom of the list) and select that.  You probably don't have an IR sender, so you don't need to pick anything at the second page of choices.

Also after you do that, remember that lirc will not restart automatically after a reboot unless you add irexec (the specific command is irexec -d) in the startup manager (I assume Mint has a Startup Manager, since it is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu has it).
if it's the same hama as I have here, you don't need lirc at all. It registers as keyboard (and mouse)
(2018-03-06, 20:02)wsnipex Wrote: if it's the same hama as I have here, you don't need lirc at all. It registers as keyboard (and mouse)

That's what I thought first, too. But the upper keys (stop, play...) didn't do anything. So I went my way through the forum - unsuccesfully.
(2018-03-06, 19:37)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: When you installed lirc did you get the menu asking what kind of remote you have?  If you didn't install if from the Linux command line, you probably didn't.  So go to a Linux command prompt and enter this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

At the first page of choices scroll way way down until you see something like "Windows MCE compatible remote" (don't remember the phrase exactly, but it's near the bottom of the list) and select that.  You probably don't have an IR sender, so you don't need to pick anything at the second page of choices.

Also after you do that, remember that lirc will not restart automatically after a reboot unless you add irexec (the specific command is irexec -d) in the startup manager (I assume Mint has a Startup Manager, since it is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu has it).
Thanks for the reply. Hm...I can't remember an entry like you mentioned but I will check it again. But what I definitely forgot was to add  the irexec to the startup process. This will be my next try.
I tried to install lirc again - but again without success :-( . It's quite like I didn't change anything. I chose the right entry (it's called 'Windows Media Center remote controlls (all)") and I added irexec to startup.

I think I've wasted enough time on this now. Apart from this little problem Kodi runs pretty well on Linux (fasten than on my Windows computer).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mint 18.3 / Kodi 17.6] Failed trying to get Hama MCE remote control working0