Solved Adding Video Source "The Kodi Way" Question
So i was reading the wiki's on Adding Video source, naming your files the "kodi way", my English "read/write" is around 99% sure i might spell some words wrong but you should see how my Danish grammar is, i understand English and German as good as my Danish i do not need to translate German or English in my head before i understand the meaning, i know what the words mean in English and German, can be confusing when i watch a German Movie and then change channel to a English movie, i read English and German books without the need for a dictionary, i read the Windows 10 "free upgrade" Terms of use "EULA" i understood that i was signing off my Digital "Me" to MS.

So i am a bit annoyed and confused as to why i can't understand what the wiki is saying about adding video sources, because the pages are contradicting and really hard to understand, so either i am daft or you might look into "revising" it.
But as far as i understand it says you can't mix TV SHOWS and Movies into 1 source, and you need to make a source for each Type of media So meaning make a source for DVD another for BluRay and a third for TV SHows, you can then combine these sources into one say Movies.
Am i correct in my deduction on that subject, because the way i have my Movies setup now and the way i have done it since 2011 is 1 top folder as source meaning i have 3x 3TB HD each have a folder called Movies and it looks like this
Movies
N:\Movies\Blu-ray
N:\Movies\DVD
N:\Movies\TV Mini-Series   
Movies
M:\Movies\Blu-ray
M:\Movies\Documentary
M:\Movies\HP
M:\Movies\TV Mini-Series
Movies
F:\Movies\DVD
F:\Movies\MKV

so my sources looks like this
<source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">M:\Movies\</path>
            <path pathversion="1">N:\Movies\</path>
            <path pathversion="1">F:\Movies\</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
It can be a bit slow at first but i have not have any trouble using "Grandpa Simpsons way" since 2011, well minor issues, but if i am reading and understanding the wiki correct "ignoring the places it contradicts it self" i should make a source for each media DVD BLURAY TV SHOW and so on i can still use one main source i just use the add source button and if i am reading the wiki right there is no limit to how many sources i can add in the main Video source.

Okay long post but i stayed on topic but if you the reader have problems understanding my meaning just write a reply i will try to explain myself.
But the wiki well i found i confusing and hard to understand what the writer is trying to explain,
Thank You
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
The Kodi classes of media are Movies, TV Shows, Music and Music Videos, pertaining to the library. It is not DVD's, Blurays, TV Mini-Series as you are indicating. So maybe that is a point of confusion.

Instead of saying the pages are "confusing" be pro-active and extract the parts you believe are confusing, explain what the confusion is, and I can re-word them. The pages are dynamic and I have no problems fixing any errors or poorly worded sentences. But to just globally say the pages are confusing is of no use whatsoever.

As for your claim on english comprehension, a history of questionable posts might leave a person wondering.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Movies are movies, TV shows are TV shows.

It doesn't matter if the Movie came on a DVD or Blu Ray, it is a "movie", and media type should be set to "Movies" when adding that source to the library.

- N:\Movies\Blu-ray (movies only, no TV shows)
- N:\Movies\DVD (movies only, no TV shows)

It doesn't matter if the TV show came on a DVD or Blu Ray, it is a "TV show", and media type should be set to "TV shows" when adding that source to the library.

- N:\TV Shows\Blu Ray (TV shows only, no movies)
 -N:\TV Shows\DVD (TV Shows only, no movies)
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2018-03-16, 22:37)Karellen Wrote: The Kodi classes of media are Movies, TV Shows, Music and Music Videos, pertaining to the library. It is not DVD's, Blurays, TV Mini-Series as you are indicating. So maybe that is a point of confusion.

Instead of saying the pages are "confusing" be pro-active and extract the parts you believe are confusing, explain what the confusion is, and I can re-word them. The pages are dynamic and I have no problems fixing any errors or poorly worded sentences. But to just globally say the pages are confusing is of no use whatsoever.

As for your claim on english comprehension, a history of questionable posts might leave a person wondering.
Point taken Karellan, but i am unsure as to how to explain what the confusing part is, because i would most likely confuse the readers as to what i am trying to say.
But you have a point when stating i should not say the wiki is confusing and contradicting but rather explain what i find contradicting and confusing, but i am not able to explain that in a way that would make sense so i will just say thank you for correcting me you are ofc right in your statement and since i am unable to explain what i mean in a satisfactory way i will consider my topic answered, but i hope you see my point and other users whose native language is not English, i have received the "RUBBISH" remark very often when i have tried explaining something and others have also received a hard reply from others because of their lack in explaining the problem in a satisfactory way. but as far as your reply you are ofc correct i should have formulated my words better instead of just saying the wiki is at fault Big Grin thank you
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Banned add-ons
If you cannot guide me to required corrections, then this is all a waste of time. Repeating my previous post... I will fix any errors or poor wordings when discovered or when I have been advised of them. There is nothing I can do about vague and airy statements of perceived problems.

I have written the pages as dumbed down as possible for exactly those who are not so fluent in English and those that struggle with technology, but that does not mean they are written for non-english speakers. But with anything, the reader does require a minimum level of comprehension and understanding.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think that understanding what whysoserious says above is important to your understanding.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Generally the "How to create a video library" is one of the easiest to understand wikis we have. Just to be clear Wink, but anyway I will respond to that

(2018-03-16, 21:56)kimkl Wrote: But as far as i understand it says you can't mix TV SHOWS and Movies into 1 source

That's true. Movies and TV-shows need a different scraper. And for the reason you can't set up 2 scrapers on 1 source. you need different sources.

(2018-03-16, 21:56)kimkl Wrote: So meaning make a source for DVD another for BluRay and a third for TV SHows

This sentence doesn't make any sense at all and is the most confusing I have ever read Wink

You are confusing "medium" with "media". Movies can be purchased on DVDs and BRs (the medium). The same counts for tv-shows. So it doesn't matter from which kind of medium the media comes from. You are fine to mix DVDs and BRs in one source as long as they are all movies. The same also counts for tv-shows.

Some ppl separating DVDs and BRs in their own folder structure. Just to keep track of in which quality which movie (or tv-show) they have. You don't need to do that if it's too much hassle.
Kodi tells you what quality your media is, there is no need to replicate that info in your file system.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you all for your replies, i had some family issues to take care off, so i have not had time to reply to each of you.
@Karellen i have read the whole HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki) again, and this time i had no problems understanding the meaning.
I can't say what has changed, but perhaps i had an "off day".

@DaVu thank you for clearing up some of my confusion, and you hit the nail on the head when you wrote " This sentence doesn't make any sense at all and is the most confusing I have ever read " if i had tried to explain Karellen what i did not understand,
it would have been confusing and made no sense at all, so i thought it better not to try.

@nickr i fully understand what the Demon is saying in his reply,  but i still am unable to explain why i found the wiki so hard to read at first, and i tried explaining that to the Demon, and knowing that my topics tend to be confusing and make no sense to anyone else but me i thought it better to write as i did.

So Karellen i am sorry you felt i wasted your time, that was not my intention but as nickr knows i have ADHD, so i tend to act on my first thought, and that was "the wiki is confusion" but seems i should just read it thru a second time.
I hope my reply makes sense to everyone, and not just in my head, but thank you all for your replies i think we can close this topic
Thank You
Banned add-ons
Hi @kimkl

No problems. We all have those off days. Sometimes it is hard to respond to the "none of it makes sense" type questions... where do you start explaining?

A direct question is always best. Something like... In section 2.1 the statement "blah blah blah" is in conflict with what I do on my Kodi. Why? It is more direct and tangible. Easier to respond to.

Please keep proof reading the wiki and letting us know if there are issues. Smile
My Signature
Thank you Karellen, and i see your point. i will make that my first thought the next time i see something i do not understand, instead of "crying wolf" meaning instead of just yelling the wiki is confusing.
Thank you Demon i will keep that in mind and the next time i read some confusing wiki related material, you wrote Big Grin sry hehe, no i will make a note of the paragraph and topic.
Good advise thank you m8.
Banned add-ons

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Video Source "The Kodi Way" Question0