Night or day watching (very import features for eye protection)
It will be very simple solution for easy Blue filter in night time in form of adjusts RGB. Day setting for RGB: R:50 G:50 B:50, but for night setting R:100 G:76 B:51.
There is no evidence that blue light is harmful, what it does effect is circadian rhythm, so too much at night might affect slept patterns. it it may be useful for that but don't worry about eye protection, blue light filters to "protect your eyes" are just marketing gimmicks. They may however improve sleep patterns.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prev...blue-light
My Kodi / HTPC / Gaming / Tech Channel
If I helped in someway, hit the Like button :)
Blue light is perceptive differently to different people. I use different color settings for office work and for watching videos on my PC monitor. 'Harder' colors for office things, and more colorful settings for watching videos.

I've set the colors on my TV already with less blue by default. No need for Kodi (or other devices) to do that.
(2018-06-19, 16:43)TheBuz Wrote: There is no evidence that blue light is harmful, what it does effect is circadian rhythm, so too much at night might affect slept patterns. it it may be useful for that but don't worry about eye protection, blue light filters to "protect your eyes" are just marketing gimmicks. They may however improve sleep patterns.

Actually, I'd have to disagree... While you are right there have been no long term "blue light" studies the fact still remains; In human evolution the eye/retina did not evolve to receive direct short-wavelength light for long periods of time. Blue light filters exists and are not all gimmicks.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2018-06-19, 17:35)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 16:43)TheBuz Wrote: There is no evidence that blue light is harmful, what it does effect is circadian rhythm, so too much at night might affect slept patterns. it it may be useful for that but don't worry about eye protection, blue light filters to "protect your eyes" are just marketing gimmicks. They may however improve sleep patterns.

Actually, I'd have to disagree... While you are right there have been no long term "blue light" studies the fact still remains; In human evolution the eye/retina did not evolve to receive direct short-wavelength light for long periods of time. Blue light filters exists and are not all gimmicks.

You mean like from the sun? Which is the biggest source of blue light and blue light from screens is about 1% of what the sun provides

So the human eye did evolve perfectly to handle huge amounts of blue light.
(2018-06-19, 18:07)TheBuz Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 17:35)Lunatixz Wrote:

You mean like from the sun? Which is the biggest source of blue light and blue light from screens is about 1% of what the sun provides

Wha... are you talking about. The sun has a wide range of wavelengths everything from UV to visible light... Just because it's there doesn't mean you should stare at it endlessly. Blue light is very close to the UV spectrum... ie. short-wavelength. Nobody is arguing the existence of blue light, we are discussing the potential retina damage to long term exposure.
there was a recent report on the radio that blueish LED lights in homes can cause eye damage. Didn't hear it myself, but parents forwarded the info to me, and it was not just about a bad sleep. But since I only use warm white LEDs at home and also have my TV calibrated for warm white (for years now), I don't care much about a software switch. Such a switch mostly makes sense on devices on which you can't control the color temperature, like on smart devices.
Glancing briefly at blue light wouldn't cause damage, but staring directly at a device emitting it for hours may be harmful.
(2018-06-19, 18:16)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 18:07)TheBuz Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 17:35)Lunatixz Wrote:  Actually, I'd have to disagree... While you are right there have been no long term "blue light" studies the fact still remains; In human evolution the eye/retina did not evolve to receive direct short-wavelength light for long periods of time. Blue light filters exists and are not all gimmicks.  

Wha... are you talking about. The sun has a wide range of wavelengths everything from UV to visible light... Just because it's there doesn't mean you should stare at it endlessly. Blue light is very close to the UV spectrum... ie. short-wavelength. Nobody is arguing the existence of blue light, we are discussing the potential retina damage to long term exposure.

You can't escape it, we have exposure from the day we are born from the sun, its everywhere, blue light is constantly hitting your eyes from daylight, and there is far more blue light in daylight than there is emitted from screens.

So if you had 2 people. 1 person who uses screens for 12 hours a day, and 1 person who stands outside for 1 hour a day they would both have almost identical levels of exposure to blue light.

If there is some evidence to show that blue light is harmful I will happily accept it, but all of the eye care organisations are saying blue light is not harmful due the reasons above
(2018-06-19, 18:39)TheBuz Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 18:16)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 18:07)TheBuz Wrote: You mean like from the sun? Which is the biggest source of blue light and blue light from screens is about 1% of what the sun provides

You can't escape it, we have exposure from the day we are born from the sun, its everywhere, blue light is constantly hitting your eyes from daylight, and there is far more blue light in daylight than there is emitted from screens.

So if you had 2 people. 1 person who uses screens for 12 hours a day, and 1 person who stands outside for 1 hour a day they would both have almost identical levels of exposure to blue light.

If there is some evidence to show that blue light is harmful I will happily accept it, but all of the eye care organisations are saying blue light is not harmful due the reasons above     
I get why you are making your argument...  However here are the faults.... for one yes they both emit blue light but at a drastically different luminosity! we do not directly stare into blue light while outside... ex. you do not stare into a glare reflecting off an object outside. (BTW short-wavelength reflection in nature is scarce). While inside you directly stare at a computer monitor. Believe it or not you are still exposing the renta to same wavelength as the suns blue light; except its EMR ie "luminosity" is drastically lower... If the EMR were as high as the sun the damage caused by the light would be immediately revealed.

Also the argument outside light verse staring at a monitor is flawed because the back of your eye does not have a evenly dispersed amount of photoreceptors. The greatest amount of receptors are for direct viewing, not peripheral view. Which is why you see ahead of you clearly and off to the side is out of focus.

Because monitors and devices have low luminosity, we tend to stare at them longer... Long term staring at short-wavelengths at varying intensity is a bad idea. BTW this goes for any wavelength of light... but blue light is very low on the visibility scale which does not immediately offend the eyes, allowing us to stare at it for longer periods of time.
The problem with blue light isn't damage, it's that it affects the production of melatonin in the body. That's the sleep inducing hormone, which doesn't get produced in enough quantity if you're exposed to blue light into the evening (as the blue light "fools" the body into thinking it's still daylight and it's seeing the light from the sky), hence circadian rhythms get screwed up and you can't sleep.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics...kids-sleep
https://www.thesleepdoctor.com/2017/11/0...ght-sleep/
https://www.livescience.com/53874-blue-light-sleep.html
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...for-sleep/
https://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Night or day watching (very import features for eye protection)1