Big Brother could be watching your viewing habits
Using Kodi for the recommended purpose is great. When you decide to use add-ons to view movie content then you are opening yourself up for potential problems and if you use a program to indicate if you have watched a movie or not (like Trakt) then you may want to read on.

An indicator tick in front of a watched movie that tells you that you have watched the movie and you may not want to watch it again, however, this tick info is not a part of your computer's database, it is part of the database on a separate server. All of the movies you have watched using add-ons are listed there along with your personal details and email info. One of these years, the movie studios will ask for a court order to have all of the watched movies store on these servers database to be handed over to them for prosecution for watching a movie without paying the proper royalties to the studios.

Using a VPN protects you from prying eyes but in Kodi your movie viewing habits are still recorded somewhere if you have signed up for this type of service as a program add-on. Why put yourself in harms way?
And lets not forget the case where the VPN provider handed over usage data to the FBI... https://torrentfreak.com/purevpn-explain...er-171016/

VPN's are not as anonymous as the sensationalist media make it out to be.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the input.
This suggestion about Trakt is old news already since several years ago and was already discussed at length then. Not sure why it somehow new news to you now?

Or will this become a vpn spam advert (since it seems like copy and paste and I see that it is your first post here)?

And, food for thought:

- I can watch something at the cinema, at a friends, from a DVD, on a flight, from broadcast TV, from Netflix, from YouTube, etc, etc, and after mark it as watched on Trakt for my own personal record keeping.

- I can also mark anything I want as watched on Trakt, without even having watched in the first place. Does the little tick on Trakt somehow constitute 1: legal proof that I have really watched it, and 2: legal proof of whether I watched it legally or illegally?

Unlikely...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Also, some countries require VPNs to keep logs by law, other keep logs as a business model or for their protection.  And even some VPNs that state they don't keep logs, but they are found out that they do.  A court can always order those logs be turned over.

And the Trakt data would not be enough for movie studios to go after anyone. You can manually add your watched items by going to the Trakt site and manually adding a movie or TV show to your watched list, that could be ripped, digital, physical disc or even in a theater, as far as I know there's no distinction between any of those in the data.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi jmh2002,
I was not aware that this was covered before, thanks for letting me know that is was and for the additional info.
Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Big Brother could be watching your viewing habits0