v17 HEVC hardware decoding
Pretty much all video files are being hardware decoded, except HEVC codec videofiles which I use for 4k content. This is related to the ffmpeg version currently being used which doesn't support it. However with the new version (v4.0) of ffmpeg this is now being supported see their changelog item "NVIDIA NVDEC-accelerated H.264, HEVC, MJPEG, MPEG-1/2/4, VC1, VP8/9 hwaccel decoding".

Is there any possibility to update the ffmpeg version on my computer or use external filters instead (got an updated version of LAVFilters installed which support hardware decoding)?
VDPAU HEVC is currently broken in Leia Alpha for Nvidia in Windows. No ETA for a fix at this time.
You don’t mention what version of Windows you have.
(2018-05-26, 15:28)Klojum Wrote: VDPAU HEVC is currently broken in Leia Alpha for Nvidia in Windows. No ETA for a fix at this time.
But in the changelog from Leia Alpha I noticed the ffmpeg version in use is 3.3, while the hardware decoding is only released in version 4.0. Are there any plans to update the ffmpeg version to 4.0 or did I mis something here?
(2018-05-26, 15:42)jjd-uk Wrote: You don’t mention what version of Windows you have.
Windows 7, hardware decoding of HEVC via LAVFilters worked after I update it to the lastest version.
I don’t know what LAVFilters use but for the DirectX 11 API’s Kodi uses then Windows 8 and above is required.
Hmm alright, was planning an update anyway. So let me do so and I'll update you on the outcome.
It's something to do with the DirectX 11 API on Win 7 not having what's needed to decode HEVC Main 10, perhaps LAVFilters does HEVC 8 bit on Win 7.
With the risk of slightly derailing the thread, i have a question. Please keep in mind that i'm not very good with these kinds of things. But, is hardware decoding generally worse quality than software decoding?
No, they are identical with the right hardware decoder.
You may be thinking of hardware encoding which although much faster with hardware can be of a lesser quality than software encoding
(2018-05-27, 20:04)jjd-uk Wrote: It's something to do with the DirectX 11 API on Win 7 not having what's needed to decode HEVC Main 10, perhaps LAVFilters does HEVC 8 bit on Win 7.

DirectX11 on Win7 doesn't support texture format (P010) which required for HEVC Main10 decoding. LAV may use CUDA or QuickSync APIs on Win7 to avoid this restriction.
(2018-05-27, 20:04)jjd-uk Wrote: It's something to do with the DirectX 11 API on Win 7 not having what's needed to decode HEVC Main 10, perhaps LAVFilters does HEVC 8 bit on Win 7.
 It appears you're right, did an update to windows 10 today and everything works perfectly now. Thanks for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC hardware decoding0