• 19(current)
Solved XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion
(2019-01-23, 12:49)Martijn Wrote: That it already exist is zero excuse for reusing the same logic for something that could be fixed in a better way. Even better, start bitching at manufacturers for fixing their firmware.

You and I already know that is not going to happen - EVER - for support of legacy video compression standards when using any hardware but a NVIDIA Shield.

The majority of Android is all about support of mainstream Internet Video streaming standards when using popular Apps.
Corner cases be damed. Manufacturers simply do not care.

The same logic can be applied to Android Kodi - alternatively simply use one of the many forks available where developers care about legacy video decode support, even if SW decoding has to be used for SD content. Wink

Or fix the legacy/broken video files to something useful

Also stating that manufacturers don't care is false cause look at how far we got android and certain manufacturers fixing their firmware. Still not perfect however it's a lot better than years ago.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2019-01-23, 13:18)Martijn Wrote: Or fix the legacy/broken video files to something useful

That is setting the bar too high for newbie Android Kodi users who just want "set and forget".

(Attention polemics)

I just imagine if we would write to Sony and ask them to support old XVID/DIVX videos (99% pirated) as well, and if not, we would buy devices from other manufacturers.

Sony would of course do its best to fix it right away! Rofl
Speaking from an end user prospective. It is basically a given that Android system manufacturers will not be supporting legacy format decoding in their firmware in the future. Android arm boxes however will be getting faster in the future. The ability to support legacy formats, such as interlaced mpeg2 will be welcomed by most users using Kodi on popular Android hardware such as Amazon fire or Mi boxes. 

This ability now exists in SPMC, but SPMC is no longer being developed and it does not work without workarounds on Amazon fire tv 3, and there are even more problems with fire stick 4k. MrMC has promise, but it is still way too buggy with audio sync problems, choppy playback of 24p files, and inability to output 4k24 files at 24p on fire stick 4K.

I compared Kodi leia 18 RC5.2 to both MrMC and SPMC on the latest Amazon hardware and after setting audio to be 0.25 sec ahead globally, all media files played fine on both Amazon fire tv 3 and stick 4K winth Kodi. 24p was smooth at all resolutions, HDR worked with correct colorspace switching, audio was in sync.  The only problem was in legacy interlaced DVD and BR rips - they did not play.  

Kodi is an excellent media center software, it works, and it is stable.

Developers, please consider adding an option to software decode/deinterlace mpeg2 up to 1080i to Kodi!
(2019-01-29, 04:30)alekseyzimin Wrote: Speaking from an end user prospective. It is basically a given that Android system manufacturers will not be supporting legacy format decoding in their firmware in the future. Android arm boxes however will be getting faster in the future. The ability to support legacy formats, such as interlaced mpeg2 will be welcomed by most users using Kodi on popular Android hardware such as Amazon fire or Mi boxes. 

This ability now exists in SPMC, but SPMC is no longer being developed and it does not work without workarounds on Amazon fire tv 3, and there are even more problems with fire stick 4k. MrMC has promise, but it is still way too buggy with audio sync problems, choppy playback of 24p files, and inability to output 4k24 files at 24p on fire stick 4K.

I compared Kodi leia 18 RC5.2 to both MrMC and SPMC on the latest Amazon hardware and after setting audio to be 0.25 sec ahead globally, all media files played fine on both Amazon fire tv 3 and stick 4K winth Kodi. 24p was smooth at all resolutions, HDR worked with correct colorspace switching, audio was in sync.  The only problem was in legacy interlaced DVD and BR rips - they did not play.  

Kodi is an excellent media center software, it works, and it is stable.

Developers, please consider adding an option to software decode/deinterlace mpeg2 up to 1080i to Kodi!
If you want to play mpeg2, set up an external player like MXPlayer that can software decode it, problem solved.
Most Android devices support proper mpeg2, xvid, mpeg4 hardware accelerated playback including mpeg2, h264 deinterlacing.
Seems Amlogic and Mediatek are the only exception.They need to start using MediaCodec video playback properly and write their own open-source deinterlacing filter and fix the root problem in their firmware.
(2019-01-29, 19:49)mo123 Wrote: If you want to play mpeg2, set up an external player like MXPlayer that can software decode it, problem solved.Most Android devices support proper mpeg2, xvid, mpeg4 hardware accelerated playback including mpeg2, h264 deinterlacing.
Seems Amlogic and Mediatek are the only exception.They need to start using MediaCodec video playback properly and write their own open-source deinterlacing filter and fix the root problem in their firmware. 
well, if I already use Kodi, the world's best media center, and then have to switch to an external player, that's weird, right?

I think the drop is gone here.
(2019-01-29, 19:49)mo123 Wrote: If you want to play mpeg2, set up an external player like MXPlayer that can software decode it, problem solved.
Most Android devices support proper mpeg2, xvid, mpeg4 hardware accelerated playback including mpeg2, h264 deinterlacing.

That may be the case but it's a known fact if you have the CPU ponies, ffmpeg easily handles what I would refer to as "corner" cases for all sorts of video encoded content, even poorly encoded stuff.

If Kodi wants to be the Swiss Army Knife of media players then seamless user configurable SW/HW decoding makes that easily possible.

CPU packages on modern ARM chipsets or getting more powerful as well. As an example an ATV 4K can now do 1080 h.264 SW decoding and 1080i YADIF2x deinterlacing, which was previously only possible with Intel type Iron.

Cheap Android - AMLogic and Mediatek vendors fixing issues for non Internet video stream type issues - pull the other one !
That is dreamland stuff right there and has no basis in reality - no matter how much developers wish it to be so.

Use VLC - they are the swiss army knife.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
For what it's worth, I have a Fire TV 2nd Gen, just upgraded from 17.6 to 18.1 and all my XVIDs are juddery (they weren't on 17.6) but modern MKVs are fine. Guess I am just one of many looking at this thread ? I am playing XVIDs now on my Dune which are perfect, but I prefer to use Kodi. I can't use a external player within Kodi as Fire TV doesn't seem to allow that. Am I stuffed ? Can I have 17.6 and 18.1 on the Fire TV together ? Is there a nightly build that has fixed the issue ? Thanks.
(2019-03-22, 06:18)Zammo Wrote: For what it's worth, I have a Fire TV 2nd Gen, just upgraded from 17.6 to 18.1 and all my XVIDs are juddery (they weren't on 17.6) but modern MKVs are fine. Guess I am just one of many looking at this thread ? I am playing XVIDs now on my Dune which are perfect, but I prefer to use Kodi. I can't use a external player within Kodi as Fire TV doesn't seem to allow that. Am I stuffed ? Can I have 17.6 and 18.1 on the Fire TV together ? Is there a nightly build that has fixed the issue ? Thanks.
 Join the club. Apparently the fix is to transcode/remux all your files. Kodi is the new iTunes.
Keep such stupid comparisons to iTunes to yourself.

You have have video files that are not according to avi standards. Fix them or some needs to provide an acceptable way of detecting these files and do a fallback method. So far no one tried.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2019-03-22, 11:14)Martijn Wrote: Keep such stupid comparisons to iTunes to yourself.

You have have video files that are not according to avi standards. Fix them or some needs to provide an acceptable way of detecting these files and do a fallback method. So far no one tried.

Why is this thread marked "solved" when it's not?

With all due respect for the work you've done on this software, blaming the source file for something that wasn't broken until this build isn't exactly helpful. Most of the AVI's I have in my library are broken now. The best fix I can suggest is to go find a better, newer copy in another container, but the issue remains: Leia is a step backwards from Krypton as a versatile media player.
(2019-04-07, 22:49)McGoogley Wrote:
(2019-03-22, 11:14)Martijn Wrote: Keep such stupid comparisons to iTunes to yourself.

Why is this thread marked "solved" when it's not?

With all due respect for the work you've done on this software, blaming the source file for something that wasn't broken until this build isn't exactly helpful. Most of the AVI's I have in my library are broken now. The best fix I can suggest is to go find a better, newer copy in another container, but the issue remains: Leia is a step backwards from Krypton as a versatile media player.  
use decoderfilter.xml -> https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2840569

With this setting Kodi 18 behaves just like Kodi 17 with SD files and no more jerking. However, you may need to adjust the filter setting, the example is for a Sony Android TV.
Work-Around FOUND for stuttering / slow motion video on Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 and Fire TV Stick 1 (Android 5.1.1) .  Incidentally the work-around also eliminates the slow-as-molasses GUI and keyboard navigation lag on the Fire TV Stick 1.

Tested with Kodi Leia 18.1, and 18.2 RC nightly from 4/15/19.

Procedure:  navigate to "Settings >> System >> Display >> Stereoscopic 3D mode / Current" and toggle the value from "Disabled" onto "Monoscopic / 2D"

The work-around is only temporary... if Kodi is exited and started again, you will have to repeat the procedure over again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I've noticed about this workaround are that
--changing the Stereoscopic 3D value to any of the other values in the list other than Disabled will temporarily fix the playback issues also.
--toggling from "Disabled" to "Monoscopic / 2D" back to  "Disabled" again still keeps the fix in place as long as Kodi hasn't been exited.
--even if you leave the Stereoscopic 3D mode value on Monoscopic / 2D, the value is overwritten and reverts back to Disabled when Kodi is exited and launched.  I tried moving this setting's bit of XML into advancedsettings.xml but the video issues all still came back on Kodi launch.

Before I stumbled upon this workaround I'd been all around the forums trying folks' custum builds with toggles for disabling mpeg2/mpeg4 etc hardware rendering.

Also tried fiddling with settings in decoderfilter.xml from the Kodi 18.2 RC builds.

Nothing worked for the Fire Sticks except the procedure up top.  I just wish it were more of a permanent fix so I wouldn't have to jump over to Display settings at every Kodi launch.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion1