Kodi Has Some Subtitle Rendering Issues
Firstly, to be clear, I recognize that these are some pretty elaborate usages of subtitles.  But anyway, the old, unlicensed anime series Stop!! Hibari-kun! was recently fansubbed and they went pretty all out in their subtitling and even signage and Kodi has some issues which I think relates to the aspect ratio.  The video is 4:3 and the subs assume that.  While the TEXT seems to be properly aligned, various boxes that are rendered as well seem to be misaligned in Kodi.

Example from Kodi, on a machine running a 1920x1080p resolution and playing back the SD 4:3 media:

Same subtitle in MPC-HC:

Kodi again:

MPC-HC:

I feel like someone will demand a log but frankly, I don't think that'll be useful in the slightest other than letting you know I'm running this on Windows.  I think anyone interested in replicating the issue will need an example of a file with the same kind of subtitles I'm using here since I imagine it's some uncommon usage.
Looking at the comparison shots a bit closer, it looks like the text has some misalignment as well but it's much less drastic.  With the subtitles seeming a bit 'wider' as they get farther from the center of the screen.
please provide samples to reproduce
(2018-07-23, 07:45)FernetMenta Wrote: please provide samples to reproduce
 Basically I'd have to link you to the torrent for the series fan-subbed (But I can point out which episodes have key moments in the two episodes I used in examples here).  Considdering the nature of the files, being fansubs, would PMing the link to you be acceptable?
Perhaps cut a small part of the video and put it in some dropbox/gdrive?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-07-23, 21:01)Martijn Wrote: Perhaps cut a small part of the video and put it in some dropbox/gdrive?
 I'll see what I can do with MKVToolnix tonight once I'm home from work.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w_cAbn...iWliQqPj0E

This SHOULD work and offer about a 10 second clip that includes the train shot.
that was a tricky one. fix: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14224
(2018-07-24, 20:27)FernetMenta Wrote: that was a tricky one. fix: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14224
 I'm going to assume that's not sarcastic.  I guess I don't need to post any more examples.  I'm running nightlies, updating once a week on Fridays, so this weekend I'll let you know if I see any other issues.  I'm watching that series at about 1ep/day.  It was a bit disappointing to see the fansubbers put so much work into some elaborate subtitling at times only to have Kodi incorrectly render it, so it'll be nice seeing it work right.

And thanks since such elaborate subtitles are probably not a common occurrence. Smile
Note that the PR is not yet merge so fix won't appear in nightlies until it is merged, however I imagine it will be merged in next couple of days.
next nightly has the fix
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-07-25, 08:44)Martijn Wrote: next nightly has the fix
 It did and it worked right on both my 1080p laptop and 4K HTPC setup.  Thanks a lot guys, nice to see something that only affected a niche niche number of subtitle scenarios get fixed up so quick. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Has Some Subtitle Rendering Issues0