Which LibreElect Build ?
(2018-08-17, 11:42)tredman Wrote: I see there is good ongoing work on aml here https://twitter.com/librecomputer/status...9302109184 so maybe CE and others won't be needed in the (distant) future
You can read about the Amlogic open source VPU decoder HERE @chewitt seems to be Maxime's guinea pig tester / stay at home lounge Lizard ! Wink

They seem to be making decent progress with the decoder as well. Smile

(2018-08-17, 12:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-08-17, 11:42)tredman Wrote: I see there is good ongoing work on aml here https://twitter.com/librecomputer/status...9302109184 so maybe CE and others won't be needed in the (distant) future
You can read about the Amlogic open source VPU decoder HERE @chewitt seems to be Maxime's guinea pig tester / stay at home lounge Lizard ! Wink

They seem to be making decent progress with the decoder as well. Smile 
Excellent, will keep an eye on that - an inexpensive DRM supported box with good deinterlacing is the holy grail for me (must admit the WP2 with Kodi 18 is pretty much there currently)
(2018-08-17, 10:14)Martijn Wrote: It's more that they do changes we do not approve of next to just hardware support.
 And I'm sure the same happens when OEM's modify Android AOSP but Google employees will happily help any and all users on their mailing lists regardless.

DaVu give you our team email address weeks ago and we have heard nothing from anybody @ Kodi Team.

CoreELEC follows LibreELEC very closely and we do not allow talk of piracy in the forums, it exists only to help users who have been abandoned to run Kodi on Amlogic GX SoC hardware, if you don't approve of that then would you care to elaborate to our 2000 users why not?
When alterations are made to the core players such as https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/blo...time.patch then it ceases to be Kodi that you are providing.
(2018-08-17, 15:33)jjd-uk Wrote: When alterations are made to the core players such as https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/blo...time.patch then it ceases to be Kodi that you are providing.
 CoreELEC is not alone, in using these patches.

https://github.com/wrxtasy/xbmc/commit/5...f745c15a87
https://github.com/kszaq/LibreELEC.tv/bl...time.patch
https://github.com/osmc/osmc/blob/master...e-tv.patch

We have simply moved these patches forward to Leia so users have the same experience on Leia as they have had with LE Krypton Amlogic builds, so if support is not offered to CoreELEC users for these reasons... should the same not apply to other LibreELEC community builds and OSMC?
OMSC is not using the Kodi brand, the others are LE community builds we wouldn't offer support for on this forum either.

Anyway that's me done here.
We've contacted Team Kodi (via email) to discuss how to use Kodi's assets respectfully (i.e. give credit where due), without stepping on any toes / causing any confusion. Details on how to achieve this were made clear. However we wouldn't really expect this forum to provide support for Vero devices or OSMC. 

I would suggest making contact if you want to clear some things up. 

Sam
(2018-08-17, 16:36)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: I would suggest making contact if you want to clear some things up. 

This was already done previously in backchannels between Raybuntu and DaVu on Kodinerds and our team email was provided if Team Kodi had any issues with CoreELEC where we would of been happy to resolve them, to date CoreELEC has received no correspondence.
CoreElec user here, if your running a Amlogic device its worth giving it go, working better than any build i've tried to date personally, I even dusted off the old s905 miniMX and updated it.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2018-08-17, 17:06)AdamG Wrote:
(2018-08-17, 16:36)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: I would suggest making contact if you want to clear some things up. 

This was already done previously in backchannels between Raybuntu and DaVu on Kodinerds and our team email was provided if Team Kodi had any issues with CoreELEC where we would of been happy to resolve them, to date CoreELEC has received no correspondence.

Perhaps you should read the trademark policy once more. You should contact us and not the other way around if you do code alterations and release them
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-08-17, 18:26)Martijn Wrote:

Perhaps you should read the trademark policy once more. You should contact us and not the other way around if you do code alterations and release them

Than this is obviously a misunderstanding as I got the impression Team Kodi was seeking a way to contact. Anyway there is no reason to discuss this in public. Knowing how LibreELEC was treated with Bugreports I don't see any benefit for us being on this Forum nor any of our users sending Bugreports.

As stated before we don't harm the Kodi brand in any way: We don't add or allow piracy or banned addons. We also aim for better Kodi experience on the Amlogic platform and fix stuff (even though it might be considered hacks), some is upstreamed other stuff isn't. We don't want to use any Kodi ressources. We are also community driven, non profit (we don't even accept donations). Looking at the numbers of installs (~2000) I'd say we qualify as fair-use. There is no need to throw with stones when other Community builders such as @wrxtasy are using identical(!) patches only branded differently.
Big Grin 
(2018-08-17, 18:26)Martijn Wrote:

We did make contact before we released anything and had no response, we even invited peak3d to our Slack to act as a go between for issues and Ray has communicated with DaVu previously.

It is not for a lack of trying that no communication exists that is for sure.

We have tried to hold CoreELEC to the same standards as other distributions and give Amlogic users another alternative as these users have been abandoned by most developers, we are only trying to help people, we don't profit and we don't seek donations from people for anything we do.

99.9999% of the Kodi codebase is unmodified and to bar our users from seeking support for the most basic of problems just because we have tried to improve on the Kodi codebase and wave the trademark hammer at us is very sad to say the least.

It seems as though a bias exists against CoreELEC as the same stance is not taken with other distributions, if it's 1 rule for one then it should be the same for all.
It's the 0.00001% of change where you fuck it up.
So.lets be specific and start with the stupid change to the "unknown sources" settings option that was done that totally shows you have the wrong idea on how stuff work.
We tolerate to a certain degree what changes are being made and that one certainly crossed the line.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-08-17, 22:29)Martijn Wrote: It's the 0.00001% of change where you fuck it up.
So.lets be specific and start with the stupid change to the "unknown sources" settings option that was done that totally shows you have the wrong idea on how stuff work.
We tolerate to a certain degree what changes are being made and that one certainly crossed the line.

I'm sorry but is there any need to be offensive?

The change in question was requested by our users so to say we have the wrong idea on how 'stuff' works is insulting but I'm happy to remove that patch as soon as I'm at a computer.
I feel a wee bit responsible for this debate here as I was the OP.

Couple of points from me as a typical user of Kodi and an AML device.

1. I could carry on running Android on the AML device as it is doing a decent job of delivering 4K but the perfectionist in me believes if all I want is Kodi to be optimum then I should be installing LibreELEC
2. I did a shedload of reading on this forum to see where to go next. I looked at the LibreELEC forum for info ..asked a few questions about the AML box I was buying.
3. I went to install LibreELEC only to find the device is unsupported on that build ... at this point I am like ‘wtf?’
4. Through more reading and searching I discover there is an unsupported LibreELEC build out there and that @wrxtasy is also doing stuff to keep it working on AML boxes.
5. I’m grateful that build exists because I feel like I can do what I wanted with a fork of LibreELEC... I start to mess about getting ready to install and hit a few snags around device trees .
6. Next thing I know someone mentions CoreELEC and I think nope not going there ....
7. Did some research on it and it seems better supported than the LibreELEC fork from @wrxtasy (no offence intended) so I think let’s have a go anyway.
8. CoreELEC installs easily (only issue atm is my remote but that’s fixable I know).

What I do not know is what this ‘hacky’ stuff is that’s been mentioned or even if I should be concerned.

What I do know is that I feel disappointment in knowing the LibreELEC team are not actively supporting AML when others in the community are willing to.

I don’t expect ask LibreELEC questions here nor do I expect to ask questions of CoreELEC here but for each of these I would ask in the relevant forum ..

It’s just a shame al the ELEC teams can’t pull together for the good of every member of this community.

And a big thank you from me to ALL those devs who work this stuff regardless of the fork you work on ..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which LibreElect Build ?0