Upgrading from XBMC 13 to Kodi Latest version
Hello,

Finally decided to upgrade my XBMC v13 install to the latest version of Kodi, I know I'm pretty late to the party! 

Just upgraded to a 4k TV and Atmos speakers and wanting to make the most of them, as my version can't play H.265 videos and has no Atmos support, at least I can't find it.

What steps do I need to follow to upgrade? or will a complete uninstall and new install be the better option? 
Also the only thing I'm really worried about is keeping my watched films and programs ticked.

Also is it best to go for a 64-bit install, heard it's better for 4K playback?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Pete
pal , if you have the Kodi installed in Windows 10 then i would suggest go for uninstall and install but if ur Tv is smart TV then just go search Kodi in Play Store if it don't have Google Play then side load the v17.6 apk into it that will work , as for Win 10 it makes Cache so a fresh install is needed.
Dheeraj Pareek
Forgot to mention I’m running Windows 7.

I’d rather run Kodi from my PC then a Smart TV app.

Thanks
Pete
then install a New version , after uninstalling previous version as i have told you that it makes cache so u need a fresh install.

if you have worries about the movies and shows they can be scrapped again but as for the watched and unwatched movies/shows , in my case whenever i reinstall it shows me the previous data too for example: watched Incredibles 2  then it will show it even after a new install , it shows the same to me. this is due to cache stored so you can try.
Dheeraj Pareek
(2018-09-17, 14:31)dheerajpareek10 Wrote: after uninstalling previous version as i have told you that it makes cache so u need a fresh install.
What the heck are you rambling about cache..??

(2018-09-17, 13:30)Aerodude65 Wrote: What steps do I need to follow to upgrade?
First of all, "latest" is not a proper version. If you want to upgrade to the stable v17 version it's still possible, but it is also an End-Of-Life version. It will no longer receive updates.
Kodi 18 is quite different from XBMC 13, so a fresh install is recommended. Any add-ons on your v13 setup, including skins, are probably not available in v18.

Both video and music databases should be converted okay to v18 versions, including all watch statuses and/or resume points. As always, making a backup is handy precaution.

(2018-09-17, 13:30)Aerodude65 Wrote: Also is it best to go for a 64-bit install, heard it's better for 4K playback?
64bit and 4K playback have nothing to do with one another. I assume you will use some recent PC hardware, so the 64-bit version is preferable anyway.
Kodi V18 Leia is not a stable Version so if u want a stable version you can go for V17.6 and even till now Kodi.tv site shows you the stable version to download.

well about that Cache i was talking about was that when i reinstalled the kodi again after that i scanned my library i got my content again in the same format and same order with all watched and unwatched scenario so that is not possible if that part is saved in our Users Folder or wherever that's why i wrote Cache, ain't rambling though.

might be another term but was trying to explain things.
Dheeraj Pareek
A database and a cache are two different concepts IMO.
(2018-09-17, 14:48)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-09-17, 13:30)Aerodude65 Wrote: What steps do I need to follow to upgrade?
First of all, "latest" is not a proper version. If you want to upgrade to the stable v17 version it's still possible, but it is also an End-Of-Life version. It will no longer receive updates.
Kodi 18 is quite different from XBMC 13, so a fresh install is recommended. Any add-ons on your v13 setup, including skins, are probably not available in v18.

Both video and music databases should be converted okay to v18 versions, including all watch statuses and/or resume points. As always, making a backup is handy precaution.  
Okay so I'll go for the stable v17 version, I haven't got any add-ons I really use or need to worry about, same with skins. Just a couple of custom scrips but these are now of no sue due to the new setup I'm using.

How is it best to make a backup of the watch statues? Is there a way to export these as a text document or csv just in case I need to manually mark shows as watched?

Thanks
Pete
Quote:How is it best to make a backup of the watch statues? Is there a way to export these as a text document or csv just in case I need to manually mark shows as watched?
There should be an export function in the settings of kodi. kodi will export all information like watched state and fanarts as .nfo / jpg in the source folder.
just use the "seperate" export. (expert settings view)

For import you need a advancedsettings.xml in your userdata folder to get the resumepoint and watchedstate.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library   All explained in there.  If the database upgrade borks up and you need to re-import the watched status, you can do it from the files the export creates, but, you will have to create the advancedsettings.xml with the settings to allow import of resume points and watched status.  Hopefully, all will upgrade correctly and there will be no need.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks skybird1980 & black_eagle

Does this still apply when upgrading from XBMC to Kodi? Not sure if I read ages ago that the databases are slight different, so it couldn't be imported, another reason i never made the change to Kodi, or is this bogus?

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies! 
Pete
nfo didn't change afaik.
try Smile
(2018-09-17, 14:25)Aerodude65 Wrote: Forgot to mention I’m running Windows 7.

I’d rather run Kodi from my PC then a Smart TV app.

Thanks
Pete
Bear in mind HEVC (H265) hardware decoding requires Windows 8.1 or 10.  You need a good CPU to do that in software!
Depending on what your graphics card in your current PC machine is, 4K can be okay in Windows. But for some of the goodies like HEVC, HDR, 10-bit can be a challenge, Kodi 18 is recommended (HDR is still a work-in-pogress).
Also some upgrade parts were removed so you might need to install v17 or v15 on top of v13. When that's started once you can go ahead and install v18
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from XBMC 13 to Kodi Latest version0