AMD 780G, Radeonhd and XBMC
Hi,

I'm still struggling to find my ideal HTPC. I want it to be silent and low-power.
I came across the AMD 780G chipset which looks really good. The only think is that AMD/ATI and Linux hate each other. Angry

What I want to know is: does XBMC run with the opensource 'radeonhd' driver? Since XBMC uses OpenGL 2.0, I don't know if it will work properly.

Thanks in Advance.
radeonhd is not yet 3d ready.
I had my 780G working with the proprietary ati driver with 3d acceleration, though I didn't test xbmc. Since the accelerated desktop features worked I would suppose xbmc would work also.
Yes it works. I have the same setup and use xbmc every day. But the OP seems to be no friend of closed software... ;-)
Thanks all. And NEI: True: I hate closed software, especially when it's unpredictable like the fglrx driver. Wink

I'll have to wait until the radeonhd driver can handle OpenGL 2.0.
NEI Wrote:Yes it works. I have the same setup and use xbmc every day. But the OP seems to be no friend of closed software... ;-)

Just ordered my HTPC, too.

Gigabyte 780G Board
X2 4850e
2 Gigs of RAM
Additional Geforce 8500GT with HDMI/TV-Component Out.

Actually I ordered the 8500gt to be on the safe side, and to have Component out, since my current Plasma has not HDMI Inputs.
But you are saying this setup works fine with XBMC? Actually all I need right now is max. 720p which is supposed to look really good on my Panasonic SD Plasma. Will get Full HD Plasma later this year though.

boba
Works fine - under windows and under linux with the ati catalyst/fglr drivers.
boba23 Wrote:Just ordered my HTPC, too.

Gigabyte 780G Board
X2 4850e
2 Gigs of RAM
Additional Geforce 8500GT with HDMI/TV-Component Out.

Actually I ordered the 8500gt to be on the safe side, and to have Component out, since my current Plasma has not HDMI Inputs.
But you are saying this setup works fine with XBMC? Actually all I need right now is max. 720p which is supposed to look really good on my Panasonic SD Plasma. Will get Full HD Plasma later this year though.

boba
FWIW, I'm very near giving up on the linux port of XBMC, as I also _must have_ component out, and I can't find anyway to deal with overscan within the PC within linux (I'm using the 8600 GT).

I've spent the last couple weeks going back and forth between an ubuntu installation of XBMC and a windows installation of XBMC, and the only way I can have a not-grossly overscanned XBMC is in Windows.

I wish it wasn't that way, as I'm dying to rid my house of windows, but I don't think it's an XBMC thing, it's a linux thing (I've spent _hours_ googling variations of "linux" "nvidia" "component" and "overscan" and there's not much out there besides similar frustration).

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Cheers.
Hi there,

I´m on a similar config:

Gigabyte 780G Board
X2 4850e
2 Gigs of RAM

And things I got running so far is:
8.04 ubuntu (an easy one)
XBMC (not that easy Big Grin)

Current issues:

1. Underscan - trying to set sizeX and sizeY with aticonfig gives me "Segmentation fault"
- tried new Catalyst 8.5
- tried the ones included with ubuntu hardy

2. Sound output throughout spdif not working ...

3. One of the cpus core at 100% when in xbmc menu ...

4. Flickering when playing HD content

Seems to be a bit early to enter linux/xbmc ...

And googling around is simply annoying.

Will try XBMC on windows next.

Cheers.
Well if you can get it to work in windows, try installing powerstrip and generating a X11 modeline, then dropping that in your linux xorg.conf.
h3llsp4wn Wrote:2. Sound output throughout spdif not working ...

Try (out of head):

type "alsamixer" in a terminal, then go to the right, where you find IEC958 and press "m" to enable it.

Then type "sudo alsactl store" to store the settings

And in xbmc just enable digital sound and everything should be ok. I can listen to stereo, dts, and dolby digital with no problems...

Good luck. :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD 780G, Radeonhd and XBMC0