NVIDIA SHIELD TV from 4K to HD?
The Nvidia Shield has a remote, it has an OK button. If your TV supports CEC, you can also use your TV remote OK/Enter button.
OSD = On-Screen Display

FYI, 17.6 is an old version and no longer maintained. v18 is the newest version currently in development.
All and all, I think you need some time to familiarize yourself with the whole Kodi application. Also read the Kodi wiki for more information.

(2018-11-08, 22:41)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I prefer to use anothe software that Kodi.
Or perhaps Kodi is simply not for you. It happens. Maybe the Dune player is a better solution for you.
I think I will use my Sony TV to read those files if I am not able to use the Shield with Kodi. Maybe because Kodi is too much difficult to set. Anyway it is impossible to see such cold image. Every my documentary is bad on the colours. It is impossible to modify them with Kodi. If I modify them on my TV it means the all TV programs will change the colours, I think. My TV is calibrated very well in the colors. So maybe it's a Kodi problem. Or may be I have to change codec inside Kodi. I don't know it. But I hope someone can suggest me. I like to use Kodi above all because I like its desktop showing all my documentaries index.
Install Kodi 18 on your Shield TV and take the time to get to know Kodi. That's not going to happen in only 20-30 minutes.
If you still think the video looks wrong upload a small samp6we can test
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-11-08, 23:40)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I think I will use my Sony TV to read those files if I am not able to use the Shield with Kodi. Maybe because Kodi is too much difficult to set. Anyway it is impossible to see such cold image. Every my documentary is bad on the colours. It is impossible to modify them with Kodi. If I modify them on my TV it means the all TV programs will change the colours, I think. My TV is calibrated very well in the colors. So maybe it's a Kodi problem. Or may be I have to change codec inside Kodi. I don't know it. But I hope someone can suggest me. I like to use Kodi above all because I like its desktop showing all my documentaries index.
 Sorry, but what have I to learn about Kodi if my problem is to change colours of the video? It look very cold. I can't change colours on the Kodi. I don't undersatand your reply.
You cannot change colours in Kodi. I never had to do that on any video I have. If you need to change it the video itself needs editing or is just wrong.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-11-09, 00:06)Martijn Wrote: If you still think the video looks wrong upload a small samp6we can test
Sorry but how can I upload a small test file if it is only Kodi that change the colours on TV? If I use MX Player Pro I see the right colours of my videos. It is not the TV colours. I don't have to modify anything on my TV. The problem is Kodi but it seems that here someone is offended and doesn't like to help me anymore. Confused
(2018-11-09, 00:45)Martijn Wrote: You cannot change colours in Kodi. I never had to do that on any video I have. If you need to change it the video itself needs editing or is just wrong.
 If I have to be sincere I'm inexperienced about Kodi and about technique in general. I like to make good documentaries and to watch good images. I always did it. I have a professional video editing set. My videos look perfectly in their colours. I don't know, maybe do I have to change some settings in Kodi for example to chance codec for the vision of my videos? I hope somebody can help me.
What might help is to download the free Mediainfo App on a PC or Mac and inspect the 4K files and post on here the Metadata from those files.

Ok, this is the Metadata. I don't see the option to attach the file, therefore I copy/paste it.

Code:
Generale
Nome completo                           : D:\La bassa valle dell'Omo (4K)100M.mp4
Formato                                 : MPEG-4
Profilo formato                         : JVT
ID codec                                : avc1 (avc1/mp42)
Dimensione                              : 24,1 GiB
Durata                                  : 34 min 25s
Modo bitrate generale                   : Costante
Bitrate totale                          : 100 Mb/s
Data codifica                           : UTC 2018-11-08 21:47:28
Data                                    : UTC 2018-11-08 21:47:28

Video
ID                                      : 1
Formato                                 : AVC
Formato/Informazioni                    : Advanced Video Codec
Profilo formato                         : [email protected]
Impostazioni formato                    : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Impostazioni formato, CABAC             : Si
Impostazioni formato, RefFrames         : 2 frame
ID codec                                : avc1
ID codec/Informazioni                   : Advanced Video Coding
Modalità bitrate                        : Costante
Bitrate                                 : 100,0 Mb/s
Larghezza                               : 3.840 pixel
Altezza                                 : 2.160 pixel
Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione        : 16:9
Modalità frame rate                     : Costante
Frame rate                              : 50,000 FPS
Standard                                : Component
Spazio colore                           : YUV
Croma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Profondità bit                          : 8 bit
Tipo scansione                          : Progressivo
Bit/(pixel*frame)                       : 0.241
Dimensione della traccia                : 24,0 GiB (100%)
Lingua                                  : Inglese
colour_range                            : Limited
Colori primari                          : BT.709
Caratteristiche trasferimento           : BT.709
Coefficienti matrici                    : BT.709
Codec configuration box                 : avcC

Audio
ID                                      : 2
Formato                                 : AAC LC
Formato/Informazioni                    : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
ID codec                                : mp4a-40-2
Durata sorgente                         : 34 min 25s
Modalità bitrate                        : Costante
Bitrate                                 : 384 kb/s
Canali                                  : 2 canali
Channel layout                          : L R
Frequenza campionamento                 : 48,0 kHz
Frame rate                              : 46,875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Modo compressione                       : Con perdita
Dimensione della traccia                : 94,6MiB (0%)
Dim. flusso sorgente                    : 94,6MiB (0%)
Lingua                                  : Inglese
(2018-11-08, 19:51)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hi, I have just gotten a bad experience with nvidia shield tv. Please help me otherwise tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I will return it. I hope I'm wrong and that my device works well and it's just my inexperience that makes it bad.
I made the update just turned on the Shield, then I installed Kodi from Google Play.
1) I put my last documentary in a HDD. I conneced it by USB port: that file is mp4 .H264 100M and sometimes it jerky.

try enabling Kodi Krypton 17.6 auto refresh switching.
Kodi Settings > Player > Videos > Playback > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop

Quote:2) The image I get is really bad and very overexposed

You mean like the first image in THIS (click) post ?

For content that is Not HDR - set a rec.709 colorspace in Shield Android Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced Settings > HDMI

(2018-11-09, 09:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-08, 19:51)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hi, I have just gotten a bad experience with nvidia shield tv. Please help me otherwise tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I will return it. I hope I'm wrong and that my device works well and it's just my inexperience that makes it bad.
I made the update just turned on the Shield, then I installed Kodi from Google Play.
1) I put my last documentary in a HDD. I conneced it by USB port: that file is mp4 .H264 100M and sometimes it jerky.

try enabling Kodi Krypton 17.6 auto refresh switching.
Kodi Settings > Player > Videos > Playback > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop
Quote:2) The image I get is really bad and very overexposed

You mean like the first image in THIS (click) post ?

For content that is Not HDR - set a rec.709 colorspace in Shield Android Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced Settings > HDMI     
Finally I solved my problems installing Kodi 18. Yes, in the previous version I already configured "Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop", etc.
On "rec.709 colorspace in Shield Android Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced Settings > HDMI"  I see: 3840x2160 5990 Hz  YUV 10bit  Rec 2020. There is not rec.709 colorspace .
Is it the right settings for Pal system? Why 59.90 Hz?

Then I inform you all my videos are 8bit and not 10bit. Do I have to change something in the settings?
Even in Kodi I see in Refresh Rate 59.94 (recommended choice).
Thanks a lot for your help!
(2018-11-09, 10:41)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Finally I solved my problems installing Kodi 18. Yes, in the previous version I already configured "Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop", etc.
On "rec.709 colorspace in Shield Android Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced Settings > HDMI"  I see: 3840x2160 5990 Hz  YUV 10bit  Rec 2020. There is not rec.709 colorspace .

Shield Android Settings > Display & Sound > Resolution > 1920x1080p, you are downscaling video 4K > 1080p/HD anyway ?
Then look for the 8bit rec.709 color setting.

In Kodi Leia you also want to select all the Whitelist refresh rates available in:

Kodi Settings > System > Display > Whitelist

(2018-11-09, 11:36)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 10:41)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Finally I solved my problems installing Kodi 18. Yes, in the previous version I already configured "Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop", etc.

Shield Android Settings > Display & Sound > Resolution > 1920x1080p, you are downscaling video 4K > 1080p/HD anyway ?
Then look for the 8bit rec.709 color setting.     
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I never will watch my videos 1080p/HD on my 65" TV at home but only UHD. I will use HD rarely, only when I will make public projections with my HD video projector (1920x1080p). Usually I project on a 180 cm sheet. How can I set HDMI please?

I still don't understand if I have to choose 59.94 Hz or 50 Hrz (8bit rec.709 ). As in Kodi as in the Shield I always see 59.94Hz.

You wrote: "In Kodi Leia you also want to select all the Whitelist refresh rates available in:
Kodi Settings > System > Display > Whitelist"  but I don't see that writing "Whitelist". Look at the pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldk7zxhsndes9h...I.jpg?dl=0

PS: Every time I open Kodi I see a boring writing "Update the Add-Ons". I deleted all them because I don't need them. Could I delete that writing in permanent way?
You are playing back 8bit bt/rec.709 content....

Do not let the Shield (in Android settings) automatically set the Resolution and Color output for you.

You need to manually set 8 bit Rec.709 in Android OS Shield settings, otherwise you are probably running into the rec.709 > bt.2020 - Shield color conversion issues as seen over in.... @hdmkv's Shield post (click) The top picture.

Here is some further reading for you:
What sort of 65" UHD TV are we talking about. Is it HDR capable ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA SHIELD TV from 4K to HD?2