Trying to organize Files screen - Music
I decided that Files screen should be subdivided into groups like Genres.  It's becoming difficult to locate a certain album when you need to do some work on it.  My 2 biggest groups are Rock and Classical.

On hard drive all albums were already organized into folders by Genre, with thumbs in each album folder. 
So I re-scanned 2 big folders in Kodi - Rock and Classical, removed from Library previously scanned sources (individual albums), removed items in their path, cleaned and updated the Library.

"Mostly" it went well. Now I have 2 folders in File view - Rock and Classical.  When I click on Rock, I see list of albums, they all play, BUT half of the albums on the list have lost their thumbs.  The problem is only with the list inside newly created folders - Rock and Classic.  Thumb doesn't show on the list, BUT when I play album directly from this list, thumb still appears in the left pane.

Skin problem maybe? V17.6 Krypton, default blue skin -Confluence? don't remember.

I confess, I "cleaned" the Music menu - removed categories Years, Top 100 and some others, but this shouldn't have affected the thumbs.  I'm still happy with the net result - Files screen is now neatly organized into Genres.
This is your 4th time opening an identical thread about "Trying to organize Files screen - Music".

If you want a thread moved to a different forum section, just ask.
If a thread needs to be moved, it will be done by moderators without your intervention.
If you want an extended holiday away from this forum by reposting your thread multiple times, that can also be arranged.
My apologies. I tried to Edit the post a few times, hit the Edit button and nothing happened - editing window didn't open. Clicked Post (as a result, post #1 was double-posted), then Back, then editing window opened in the previous or cached version of the post #1 .

As it turned out, Edit button wasn't supposed to open the editing window. It opens only after you click on Quick Edit or Full Edit. Not very often I see this kind of interface.
@Alex K

You figured it out, in case others don't...

Editing a post seems to catch a lot of members out as the Edit options are very discrete and easily missed. See image...
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
IIRC thumb behaviour in file view varies depending on whether the music files have also been scanned into the library.

When not in library:
Thumbs for a folder only show in file view when the art is in a folder.jpg or folder.png file within that folder.
During playback art embedded in the music files is found and displayed for each song. This embedded art is also shown for the music file itself in file view, but not the folders above it.
If Kodi has cached these images then it will continue to show them even when you remove the folder.jpg from the folder

When in library:
Album art that has been set (manually chosen,  set via scraping or fallback from art embedded in the first music file) will be shown for the folder, assuming that the album is in one unique folder

Perhaps that behaviour explains why you are not seeing some thumbs - where is the art and is the item in the library?
If you have scanned the music files into the library then does the album art show in library view?
(2018-12-12, 10:41)DaveBlake Wrote: When not in library:
Thumbs for a folder only show in file view when the art is in a folder.jpg or folder.png file within that folder.
During playback art embedded in the music files is found and displayed for each song. This embedded art is also shown for the music file itself in file view, but not the folders above it.
If Kodi has cached these images then it will continue to show them even when you remove the folder.jpg from the folder

Album .jpg files are stored in each respective album folder.

In the Files view, not in the Library:
All rock albums are grouped into Rock folder, all classical - into Classical. This is how they were re-scanned, - as 2 big folders, Rock and Classical. Previously scanned individual albums are not in the Files view anymore, - I removed them and cleaned the library before re-scanning 2 big folders. This was the purpose, - to have 2 big categories in the Files view, instead of dozens of albums of different genre listed alphabetically.

In the Files view -> inside the category Rock (or Classical):
When I click on Rock (or Classical), it opens similarly to any individual album only instead of the list of songs I see the list of album folders - all without thumbs. Folders in the Files view are not supposed to have thumbs unless you choose a thumb for it, but this operation is not available after I had re-scanned the entire Rock folder rather than individual albums. Oddly, when I hover air mouse over an album - WITHOUT clicking on it, some albums on the list show thumb in the left preview panel - and some don't.

So I guess I'm complaining about the freebee - seeing some album thumbs when hovering the mouse over, when I am not supposed to see any thumbs there at all Smile

Again, in the Files view -> category Rock or Classical, when I click on any album, it opens as usual with the thumb in the left preview panel and list of songs on the right.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to organize Files screen - Music0