Req Kodi HDD S.M.A.R.T. Addon
Hello experts,

i search for days now a Addon like CrystalDiskInfo. Now it give from CDI a ARM32 and ARM64 version. Can anyone make a addon for Kodi from this, or any other S.M.A.R.T. Addon for Kodi please?
Many User using external HDD or HDDBays for Kodi. But it exists nothing for keep an eye on the HDD Health?! Its a Big problem. Please help me/us!

Thank you very much!
This is rather OS-specific, an overall addon serving multiple OS'es is not likely to be created anytime soon.
(2018-12-13, 00:42)Klojum Wrote: This is rather OS-specific, an overall addon serving multiple OS'es is not likely to be created anytime soon.
 Actually... I can think of a way to write it that would support multiple Os's and I'd be somewhat interested in writing it. How would OP envision it working? What would the Kodi interface be like? What functionality would be required?
(2019-01-12, 08:23)evertiro Wrote: What would the Kodi interface be like? What functionality would be required?
If you know what a SMART listing looks like, then you know what to go for.
This is a screenshot of a SMART report. The reported items vary per disk and type.

For Windows ist this not needable, i mean for Android!

Mein HDD 4Bay and the Android Box are by the TV, it is in the Mainroom. My PC is in the Officeroom. So i must debuild every time the hole thing and go to the other romm.
Its will be very confortable if Kodi become a simple little SMART / HDD health addon. Its will be very fucktup if for example the 5TB HDD have errors an im not know this and one day its fallout.

We have so many addons and functions at kodi, they are not so needfull, but for the secure of the massdata is nothing!?

Greetz

PS: sorry for my bad english i hope you understand me.
(2019-01-12, 11:17)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 08:23)evertiro Wrote: What would the Kodi interface be like? What functionality would be required?
If you know what a SMART listing looks like, then you know what to go for.
This is a screenshot of a SMART report. The reported items vary per disk and type.

You misunderstood the question. I know what a SMART report looks like. What I wanted to know was did the OP simply want a window that displays the SMART data? Were there other things wanted too? Plus I pulled a second user who'd asked for similar functionality into the thread, and that users request wasn't SMART specific
(2019-01-12, 18:22)Hagal Wrote: For Windows ist this not needable, i mean for Android!

Mein HDD 4Bay and the Android Box are by the TV, it is in the Mainroom. My PC is in the Officeroom. So i must debuild every time the hole thing and go to the other romm.
Its will be very confortable if Kodi become a simple little SMART / HDD health addon. Its will be very fucktup if for example the 5TB HDD have errors an im not know this and one day its fallout.

We have so many addons and functions at kodi, they are not so needfull, but for the secure of the massdata is nothing!?

Greetz

PS: sorry for my bad english i hope you understand me.
 I'd covered every configuration but Android. What type of box are you using? Android will require some extra thought to find a way to make it happen.
I thought I'd be transparent to all which S.M.A.R.T. values could be displayed.

My take on it is, that you could just start with a header, displaying the basics, as in the screenshot.
After that, anything else that fits in a 16:9 screen layout is useful. You could use the non-proportional font as used in the System Info page in Kodi.

There is also the option of displaying the HDD/SSD's own error log.
If you want to add things like a S.M.A.R.T. test as well, and are able to cramp it into the Kodi SMART addon, be my guest. Smile
That was kinda what I was thinking. I'll start messing with it and see where it goes!
+1 for this proposal.

This is especially important for NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2015/2017 PRO users. I have a Shield Pro 2017 and would like to know the health of the internal hybrid hard/solid state drive (SSHD). Drive removal is not easy and will void the warranty.

I searched for a tool compiled for the Android platform to get the current S.M.A.R.T. values and found nothing. It's a pity that the smartmontools package is only available for Windows, Linux, Mac and BSD.

@evertiro : I don't know if the Python scripting language has low level access to internal devices. Keep in mind you will have to talk to the drive at a VERY LOW LEVEL and I think Python is not suitable for this task. It is likely that you will not be able to make a Kodi add-on and you will have to make an standalone tool in a low level language compiled for the ARM architecture (C or C++). I recommend starting by studying the source code of smartmontools

An alternative solution could be that someone could port the smartmontools package to Android.

Thank you in advance for any progress and good luck! (you will need it).
(2020-01-24, 13:00)boblo Wrote: +1 for this proposal.

This is especially important for NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2015/2017 PRO users. I have a Shield Pro 2017 and would like to know the health of the internal hybrid hard/solid state drive (SSHD). Drive removal is not easy and will void the warranty.

I searched for a tool compiled for the Android platform to get the current S.M.A.R.T. values and found nothing. It's a pity that the smartmontools package is only available for Windows, Linux, Mac and BSD.

@evertiro : I don't know if the Python scripting language has low level access to internal devices. Keep in mind you will have to talk to the drive at a VERY LOW LEVEL and I think Python is not suitable for this task. It is likely that you will not be able to make a Kodi add-on and you will have to make an standalone tool in a low level language compiled for the ARM architecture (C or C++). I recommend starting by studying the source code of smartmontools

An alternative solution could be that someone could port the smartmontools package to Android.

Thank you in advance for any progress and good luck! (you will need it).
I'm aware of that Wink I'd already started considering smartmontools (I worked on the Arch packaging for it ages ago).
@evertiro this looks like a good start: https://pypi.org/project/pySMART/
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I hope it won't be very hard to make an Android port of smartmontools. If you succeed, you will only have to use the Python wrapper mentioned by @Lunatixz . Many Android player users will appreciate this (including me, of course).
Anything new about a Kodi S.M.A.R.T. Addon?

greets

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi HDD S.M.A.R.T. Addon0