Bug Kodi memory leak and crash on some m4v movies
I have some Movies that seem to trigger a memory leak in kodi (both 17 and 18), older versions did not have that issue.
The movies will start to play, but  kodi's memory usage increases fast until it runs out of memory (up to 4 GB on my Nuc),  this continues to increase even if I stop the movie.  Jumping to points in time in the movie increases the rate of memory usage.  

I have the same issue with Libreelec on a Rpi2, a brand new 3 with new SD and a brand new intel nuc.  I also tried OSMC which has the exact same problem.
I normally use wired network, but the issue is also there on Wifi.

The Movies are stored on a NAS, the issue stays regardless if I use NFS or SMB

Debug log here: http://ix.io/1AWa
Dmesg: http://ix.io/1AWk
Thread moved to OS independent.

Are you able to also test/confirm it on a directly installed vanilla Kodi version rather than a packaged one? For example on a Windows machine, a Mac or a Linux box?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I haven't done that yet, will see if I find the time over the weekend...
Important to add is that after running the debug I just did and going out of memory, I rebooted the entire device only to see the memory grow from the start without having played anything.  The leak must therefor be sped up by the movies, not caused by playing them.
The memory leak when not playing video seems due to the movie database scraper, it is gone with universal scraper.
But the leak while playing the m4v file remains
What OS do you recommend for the vanilla install?  Ubuntu desktop?
Your log doesn't contain debug information. Could you please enable debug logging and grab a new log?

Thanks
(2019-02-13, 13:34)gvs77 Wrote: What OS do you recommend for the vanilla install?  Ubuntu desktop?

If that's possible for you, yes Ubuntu is fine. Make sure you don't install Kodi from the Ubuntu PPA. Use the team-kodi ppa instead: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa, then update the repos: sudo apt update and install Kodi sudo apt install kodi
Ok, I enabled debug in de GUI now, log will be ready soon.
I could (privately) share the worst movie that triggers it if you think that would help
New debug log: http://ix.io/1AWL
Note that seeking in the movie makes the memory drain go faster, so I did that often in the test case
I had some time left, so I quickly installed Ubuntu 18.04 and kodi from the PPA you asked and it has the same issue.
To be clear, I did nothing on the Ubuntu install (minimal desktop) besides adding the NAS with NFS backend to the library
Another little bit, if kodi is in increasing-ram usage , it still works but I cannot exit
Any idea what could be happening?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi memory leak and crash on some m4v movies0