v18 Newbie Kodi setup question
I have the following hardware:
- 1 laptop pc with Windows 8 & Ubuntu 16.04 dual boot
- 1 smart TV with Android OS
Can someone please give me a pointer what's the best way to setup Kodi? What I'm looking for where's the best place to install Kodi and how to connect them. Is there a place showing the setup, especially the cable connections and type of cables to be used. It seems to me the best way is to use a pc to install Kodi (not sure how much memory is available on TV, the stability/performance issue with Android/TV).
ps: is it recommended to have external Kodi box instead of using a pc (stability/performance issue)?
Thanks for your comments/suggestion. MX Linux 21, Kodi 19.1
Michael
For most modern PC's you should be able to connect an HDMI cable between it and one of the inputs on the TV. That will then basically turn the TV into a second monitor for the PC, and you can display Kodi (or anything else) from the PC on the TV by putting the Windows onto the "TV monitor".

You can install Kodi directly onto the TV from the Google Play Store (unless it's a modern Sony one which has a firmware "bug" that blocks us for now - see the Android section for more details and work-arounds).

Of course using a cable means the PC needs to be somewhere near the TV, and you probably won't have a remote (unless you use something like a FLIRC). So either a direct install or putting it on a connected box designed for the purpose may be simpler.

As for "connect them", what exactly do you mean? If you're wanting to share a database (to have commonality for your watched/unwatched status for items, and to be able to stop on one device and resume on another) then you need either a MySQL (wiki) database set-up or some other 3rd party solution like Emby.

If you're just starting out, then the wiki is a great source of information to get you going. See some of the links in my sig below.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks DarrenHill for your reply, you answered my question of "connect them (between PC & TV)" by describing how to connect HDMI cable between PC and TV. What about the stability between Android (installing directly on TV) and PC? I read in the Wiki that Android is less stable than PC (I'm using Ubuntu in PC), and the other concern is performance, since my guess is TV has limited memory (RAM, HD?) and CPU.
Michael
It depends a little on what you want to do/watch, as the Android (in Smart TVs) can be somewhat limited in terms of memory and processor power.

But as all versions of Kodi are freely available, why not just give it a try and see if it fits your needs? If it doesn't work then put it on the PC or consider a box if that's preferred.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-02-13, 20:05)DarrenHill Wrote: It depends a little on what you want to do/watch, as the Android (in Smart TVs) can be somewhat limited in terms of memory and processor power.

But as all versions of Kodi are freely available, why not just give it a try and see if it fits your needs? If it doesn't work then put it on the PC or consider a box if that's preferred.
Thanks DarrenHill for the tips, I'll give it a try.
Michael

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie Kodi setup question0