v18 Kodi crashes on certain video files after upgrade to 18.0
Ever since upgrading from 17.1 to 18.0 certain files crash to desktop ("Kodi has stopped working.") after ~1 second of audio and video stutter. The same vids worked perfectly before and work fine when I play them on Windows without Kodi. Tested for mostly MKV x264 with various resolutions, but could not find a pattern which work or do not work. The log shows a bunch of warnings that I have tried searching, but nothing stands out towards a solution in my situation:

Code:
21:17:02.392 T:8484 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
21:17:10.890 T:9784 WARNING: Previous line repeats 4 times.
21:17:10.890 T:9784 WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -8578.051300
21:17:10.890 T:9784 DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error -392.876230 above threshold of 200.000000
21:17:10.890 T:9784 WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -8563.050800
21:17:10.890 T:9784 WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -8548.050800

I'm using a Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXBT-2807 (Intel Celeron N2807 with onboard Intel HD Graphics) on Windows 10. 

Full debug enabled kodi.log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/apikaxakem.kodi
(2019-03-13, 15:50)Wish Wrote: Full debug enabled kodi.log:
It's however not the full log. Don't provide only those section(s) that you think are interesting.
I left out the startup log, this is a log file including startup (for a different video though, but same crash):

https://paste.kodi.tv/oroyababoh.kodi
FWIW, I've seen the same behaviour: Windows 10 Pro 32-bit, latest, fully patched.

I fell back from 18.1 to 18.1 RC and some of the files I couldn't play started working. Then I saw some different ones crashing out. Occasionally restarting Kodi allows me to play the file, but not always. I've had to resort to VLC to play some files.

Happy to provide debug assistance if 'Wish's debug needs more support.

Andy
@AndyHenderson send along a log file, let's see if there's any common denominator. I note in the Wish log Kodi 18.0 when 18.1 is available, change configuration. 1920x800. display then Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080@ 60.00 and it can't find a proper whitelist res and then what appears the chosen file is 10 bit UHD is attempted? I'm unsure that a CPU: Intel® Celeron® CPU N2807 @ 1.58GHz, 2 cores available can handle this in software rendering.
I didn't realize 18.1 is out, will try to update and test again.
So far a file either works or does work, not sometimes yes sometimes no.
The same vids worked in Kodi 17 and it works in Windows, so the hardware can handle it (it's not the fastest I know, but so far it's been a trooper).

I'm not sure what you mean by whitelist resolution, nor what 10bit uhd is ...
Updated to 18.1, unfortunately no difference, same crash, similar log.
(2019-03-13, 20:20)Wish Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by whitelist resolution, nor what 10bit uhd is ...

You have an odd res specified, might want to whitelist what's available in settings>system>display [expert mode] 10 bit is an extra couple of bits that define a larger spectrum over common videos of 8 bit and I think that is the trip up for your gfx engine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_video
How to I find out 'what's available' to whitelist? I've tried whitelisting just regular 1080p and 720p, but no change in behaviour. Note that HEVC 265 codec works, but stutters and glitches so much that I avoid it (hardware can't handle it), so I just use x264.
Following a suggestion from a guy working on the NPVR add-on, I switched hardware acceleration off (it's been on since I started with XBMC ages back) and I can now play the videos that caused Kodi crashes.

FWIW, I was also getting crashes playing some OTA BBC SD channels via NPVR and switching off hardware acceleration allows me to play them too.

Andy
Well what do you know, disabling hardware acceleration works for me as well. Now all that's left is to fix te netflix stuttering and audio sync and Leia will be good to go. Thanks!
This all triggered me to think that performance might be the cause for the Netflix stuttering as well. Decreasing the max resolution of the plugin to 720p solved the problem. Somewhat odd, because full hd streaming in a browser (like Chrome) works perfectly on the same device. For now I can live with 720p though Smile.
(2019-03-13, 18:57)PatK Wrote: @AndyHenderson send along a log file, let's see if there's any common denominator.
 I had a go, but switching debug on with hardware decoding on allows the video I use for testing to run. So with either debug on or hardware decoding off, the video runs; with debug off and hardware decoding on the video always causes Kodi to crash.

Andy
(2019-03-14, 17:41)AndyHenderson Wrote: switching debug on with hardware decoding on allows the video
Sounds like a deficiency in the gfx engine department and your CPU is handling it just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes on certain video files after upgrade to 18.00