v19 LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 19.0)
(2020-01-29, 06:57)HomerJau Wrote: Great to see the new Intel media driver arriving in LibreElec, another step closer to HDR support in LE. Although I’m a little disappointed it doesn’t fully support HDR for my 2018 Intel NUC8i3BEH or other Intel 2018 Coffee Lake NUCs. The spec shows HDR 10 bit but not 10bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4?

I’m not sure if that means I’ll need to upgrade to a new NUC to get HDR when LE finally supports HDR. Anyone know the situation and can clarify please?

The intel media-driver really doesn't have anything to do with HDR. The normal intel-vaapi-driver can still do HDR. The media-driver just allows to do some tone-mapping things for converting YUV->RGB within the driver.

The problem with HDR support on intel NUC's is that many come with LSPCON which is still gaining support for HDR metadata passthrough in the mainline kernel (if it hasn't landed already). Devices like gemini lake NUCs that don't use the LSPCON converter already support YUV420P10 planes, otherwise known as P010 which is just a 10bit YUV format. With that we can support 10bit output and passing through the HDR metadata through the connector to the TV.

LSPCON devices will gain HDR support eventually as LSPCON isn't going away afaik.

There is still a couple of bits needed in Kodi to properly handle the switch to bt2020 output but this will land soonish. Then there is some of ffmpeg changes we need also but we can add them as a patch.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott

Messages In This Thread
RE: LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 19.0) - by lrusak - 2020-01-29, 22:24
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 19.0)3