v19 Nightly 3D playback issue
Hi all,

I did participate in testing in the "HW video decoding re-work (DXVA2)" thread weeks ago and I had an issue with flickering playback when watching 3D movies that time. Link
Apparently it looks like the changes/results from this thread have been included into current nightlies. The last nightly that works for me is KodiSetup-20190415-c67eb3ae-master-x64.exe. 
Since then the issue described in the testing thread occurs. Basically when playing SBS or tabbed videos either only the right or lower the part of the video starts flickering somehow (like the video is going back and forth for a moment repeatedly). I did provide logs in the thread weeks ago but afedchin was not able to find any issues or reproduce the error. I'm using an NVIDIA 1030 chip. Can anyone try to reproduce this issue? There was nothing in the logs.

The issue will NOT occur when the setting Adjust display refresh rate is disabled. I have added a short video so that you can see what is going on: 

VID_20190427_010634.mp4@zippyshare

@afedchin Please take a look at the video.

Thanx a lot,

am
Just tried a SBS using v.19.  No problem like yours.  Adjust refresh rate is enabled.  This is now fixed fwiw - 'Kodi 18 does not exit side-by-side when stopping 3D movie'.  339937 (thread)  Thank you for addressing it.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I did some more testing.

DXVA renderer Adjust display refresh rate enabled > flickering as in the video sample
DXVA renderer Adjust display refresh rate disabled > all good

Pixel Shader renderer regardless of Adjust display refresh rate enabled/dsiabled > right part of SBS/lower part of tabbed movie is BLACK (no video at all!!) Left or top part is ok. Subtitles and menu visible in left/right and top/down part.

Software renderer regardless of Adjust display refresh rate enabled/dsiabled > all good

I use the latest drivers NVIDIA. No errors in the logs. As mentioned no issues in KodiSetup-20190415-c67eb3ae-master-x64.exe and earlier. Any ideas?
You say you're using the latest nVidia drivers.  The latest driver has dropped 3D support completely.  I'm not sure if this matters though because SBS 3D titles are really just (2) 2D frames next to each other unlike unaltered original 3D MVC frame packed rips.  I don't use SBS or TAB much but the few I have don't do what yours are doing.  I'm using an older driver though.  Also v.19 with Pixel shaders enabled as is adjust display refresh rate.  To help yourself figure out why your problem is exclusive to you, try another external player and not just Kodi's internal VideoPlayer.  Then you will know if it's a global problem or just with Kodi.  From there, consider trying an older driver.  385.28 to be specific.  If it only happens with Kodi, check the few 3D related settings.  Maybe post them here since what you consider proper may not be.  Does it even switch your display into 3D SBS mode automatically?  It should.  Is Windows 3D turned on?  Is NCP stereoscopic setting turned on and does its internal check pass?  Those two may not matter since your file is really a 2D file but worth a look.  Lastly, are you certain about the integrity of your rip?  Have you tried others?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thank you for your input. I did check your suggestions. So basically issue is not visible with other players like VLC or MPC-HC and only exists in Kodi and regardless of NVIDIA driver version. Kodi is playing back the files as 2D which is how it is supposed to be. The TV when switched to 3D mode will do the needed magic. It deos happen on all files (also the test 3D files provided on Kodi's web site). You mentioned v.19, not sure what you're referring to. I know only of 18.2 to be available. Display does not switch to 3D automatically on purpose but this is not issue related. The issue was introduced in KodiSetup-20190416-5eb95160-master-x64.exe. All earlier versions do NOT have the described the issue.
Also I do not know what's the difference between the two nightly branches http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/master/ and http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/Leia/
Only master tree is affected. No issue with KodiSetup-20190426-a81e3caf-Leia-x64.exe Maybe some of the developers can tell what the diffenreces are and what was introduced into KodiSetup-20190416-5eb95160-master-x64.exe. Apparently it is kodi exclusive and only in the master tree.

@afedchin : Any suggestions to pin point the root cause?
@am2015 

Master is a new Kodi generation codename Matrix (kodi 19) Alpha version, the other branche is Kodi Leia 18.2.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2019-04-28, 14:39)Wanilton Wrote: @am2015 

Master is a new Kodi generation codename Matrix (kodi 19) Alpha version, the other branche is Kodi Leia 18.2.

Not quite, Leia folder is for the Nightly Leia builds that MAY contain additional bugs fixes onto of 18.2 as we head towards a potential 18.3 release.
I can't reproduce it.  I know I've tested every official Windows version of Kodi and XBMC since before Dharma all the way up to Matrix v.19 Alpha I'm presently using without ever seeing anything like that including LEIA v.18, v.18.1 and v.18.2 before moving on to v.19.  As noted by others, perhaps one specific nightly build is broken?  I can definitely confirm it's not using any recent v.19.

I've watched the video a number of times and nothing about it appears correct.  The L/R stereo of the video isn't even in sync which seems very odd.  Horizontal lines of resolution seem to be rendering in light and dark waves on the L and R.  The picture has no clarity whatsoever.  Nothing about it looks even close to correct.  I've replayed the original from the Kodi wiki a number of times too just for comparison.  It's perfect here.

I can't attribute this to the 1030?  I'm using a 960.  Is there an outside chance you have another GPU to swap?  Even a very old lesser card should work with no problems, not that the 1030 is a problem but maybe yours is broken somehow?  Driver shouldn't matter even using anything years back as long as it isn't the latest and even that one will probably work.  Maybe try a more recent build like v.19 Alpha although I know I tried many, many other previous builds and never encountered anything like your video.  Rename your present Kodi Windows roaming folder and restart Kodi so it creates an entirely new database.  Because you're only testing with it, just add a couple of your SBS titles and make the few necessary adjustments, and retry.  This is honestly what I'd try first if I had your problem.  It isn't going to be because of which Kodi build you install.  It's going to be something corrupted in the Kodi individual user database and a fresh start will cure it (if) your problem is truly related to Kodi.  How it might have got corrupted is anyone's guess and figuring that out isn't cost affective.

@brazen1 : thank you for your input and testing effort. I have to correct myself concerning the version when issue appeared. It started with KodiSetup-20190417-018c68af-master-x64.exe and not KodiSetup-20190416-5eb95160-master-x64.exe as stated before. But all later master versions are affected. No other nightlies before and Leia nightlies are affected. Also the test version provided by afedchin some weeks ago had this issue. Concerning the video sample I have uploaded. Please ignore the horizintal lines and poor appearence of the video. This is due to my camera that I have used and probably the plasma screen. Picture is crisp clear on my plasma. The only issue is the asynchronity in the video of left/right. Not sure how to describe it, it  is like fast forward and back again in the right/lower part of any 3D for DXVA or completly black with pixel shader as seen in the sample. Did try with a fresh install, too. Anyway Leia tree works for me without issues. It must be something that was introduced in new code and for now no one else could reproduce it. Unfortunately don't have another GPU available. Will stick to Leia nightlies for now as they work without issues for me. Would like to log the issue, but no errors are logged. So basically the logs I have provided in link1 and link2 are still valid but nothing was found there.

It seems that it does not occur always instantly even on the same file. Sometimes it gets async after using the arrow keys to skip forward/backward. Sometimes it wokrs o.k. Seems that when I set the "Vertical synchronization" to "fast" in the NVIDIA driver this will help to trigger the issue instantly. 
Any idea how the issue could be logged?
Hi all,

the issue with 3D playback still exists in current v19 nightlies. I'm using a NVIDIA 1030.
@afedchin : You could not reproduce the issue. I did some more testing and research. Basically there are TWO issues with SBS/tabbed movies.

1. When using DXVA decoder the described issue will occur. (second part of 3D image is flickering when after some time or after seeking forward). The issue is definately related to VSYNC.
- VSYNC disabled in NVIDIA driver > no issue but tearing in eg lower part of tabbed video.
- VSYNC enabled in NVIDIA driver: flickering of lower part of tabbed right part SBS video occurs
- VSYNC half rate lots of frames are dropped and also flickering
- VSYNC fast: this seems to fix the issue. Right part (SBS) lower part (tabbed) does not flicker anymore and all works as specified.
What is different here from version 18? In V18 there's no need to set VSYNC to fast. It is set to the defualt value of the dreiver and it works.

2. When using pixel shader only one image part of SBS/tabbed viedo will be displayed. The menus is visible in both parts but video itself is black. Something seems to be broken for 3D movies here.

Please provide feedback. Can you check how your VSYNC is set in the NVIDIA driver?
hi all,

issue with 3D playback (flickering of right or lower part of 3D video) using DXVA is solved in new builds as described in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=355800.
Concerning pixel shader playback the issue still exists that lower (tabbed) or right (SBS) video is black with menus being visible in both parts. So this bug still exists for 3D playback and pixel shader.

I can provide logs, but the issue was not reproducible with my previous logs. I'm using a NVIDIA 1030 GPU.

kind regards,

am

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nightly 3D playback issue1