Solved Font Border
(2019-08-18, 13:12)enen92 Wrote:
(2019-06-12, 18:54)jjd-uk Wrote: There is a vague plan to remove our home brew subtitle rendering and use libass for text subtitles, so if that ever comes into being then this maybe possible.

Not vague Smile I just didn't find yet free time to start working on it. But yes, things like this will definitely be possible with minimum effort
Is this going to be on the new kodi 19 release coming out soon? Wink))
Just made an account to support this feature request, it's my only gripe with Kodi at the moment. The outline of the subtitles is too thick for me, would like an option to customize it. Thanks!
(2019-06-12, 18:54)jjd-uk Wrote: There is a vague plan to remove our home brew subtitle rendering and use libass for text subtitles, so if that ever comes into being then this maybe possible.

Not vague Smile I just didn't find yet free time to start working on it. But yes, things like this will definitely be possible with minimum effort
Hey can you give us an update?  It has been over a year on this "minimum effort" feature! I think there are a tonne of people that would like to see this that aren't finding this post, or have an account. So it's def more than 6 people! I am really surprised that with all the things kodi can customize, that this isn't possible. VLC subtitles look so much better and sleek. The black border on the fonts is not visible when it is below the video in the black area, so whenever that is the case I am happy. I  have a feeling KODI 19 will not address this issue ;(
(2020-12-19, 22:26)Pdubbbs Wrote:

Hey can you give us an update?  It has been over a year on this "minimum effort" feature! I think there are a tonne of people that would like to see this that aren't finding this post, or have an account. So it's def more than 6 people! I am really surprised that with all the things kodi can customize, that this isn't possible. VLC subtitles look so much better and sleek. The black border on the fonts is not visible when it is below the video in the black area, so whenever that is the case I am happy. I  have a feeling KODI 19 will not address this issue ;(

This is not an issue, kodi works just fine as is. It's rather a personal annoyance Smile
I'm slowly working on it for v20. For sure there won't be any changes for this in the upcoming v19 version, as the release is already in feature freeze.
(2020-12-20, 16:56)enen92 Wrote:
(2019-08-18, 13:12)enen92 Wrote: Not vague Smile I just didn't find yet free time to start working on it. But yes, things like this will definitely be possible with minimum effort

This is not an issue, kodi works just fine as is. It's rather a personal annoyance Smile
I'm slowly working on it for v20. For sure there won't be any changes for this in the upcoming v19 version, as the release is already in feature freeze.

Ok, I very much look forward to V20! So about 3 years? Wink Can you promise to not forgot about us, or should I send a reminder DM every few months? Tongue
(2019-08-18, 13:12)enen92 Wrote: Not vague Smile I just didn't find yet free time to start working on it. But yes, things like this will definitely be possible with minimum effort

I agree it's not an issue but I'm not sure it's personal annoyance. It seems to be kind of standard to have a slim outline shadow in subtitles. For example, I got these two images from a Google search: for Netflix and Prime Video. Kodi's thick outline seems to be unusual, and that would be okay if we had the option to change it, but we don't.
(2020-12-21, 04:49)akitrngitr Wrote:
(2020-12-19, 22:26)Pdubbbs Wrote: Hey can you give us an update?  It has been over a year on this "minimum effort" feature! I think there are a tonne of people that would like to see this that aren't finding this post, or have an account. So it's def more than 6 people! I am really surprised that with all the things kodi can customize, that this isn't possible. VLC subtitles look so much better and sleek. The black border on the fonts is not visible when it is below the video in the black area, so whenever that is the case I am happy. I  have a feeling KODI 19 will not address this issue ;(

I agree it's not an issue but I'm not sure it's personal annoyance. It seems to be kind of standard to have a slim outline shadow in subtitles. For example, I got these two images from a Google search: for Netflix and Prime Video. Kodi's thick outline seems to be unusual, and that would be okay if we had the option to change it, but we don't.

Glad to have some other people chime in and get some traction on this. Again, I am grateful for Kodi, and everyone who works on it. It's because I like it so much, that I think it should be excelling in this area too. I used VLC for 5 years and this is what subtitles look like in there.

https://imgur.com/4tX2pR3

Same as you said about prime and Netflix, it is such faint shadowing - it is almost not visible, you need to really zoom in, and by then the picture is actually pixelated and you can't tell either

What's also annoying is that most changes in the subtitle settings require you to stop and start the movie to have changes take effect to see what they look like, and you need to go into the settings menu through 4 steps to get to them. VLC has a pull-down menu and you can instantly see the change.

And on a final note, but one I that is actually very important. Some might think subtitles are some niche small feature rarely used, but I'm sure many viewers are like me and always have subtitles on even when the movie is in my native language. I like to catch every word, and dialogue is hard to understand clearly 100% of the time in almost all movies, even with a dedicated center channel.
In Kodi 20 will be available many features to customize subtitle style such as border style, color, shadow, etc...
you can already test it with the nightly builds
Dev-Maintainer of InputStream Adaptive add-on, Netflix add-on ▫ Skills Python, C#, VB.NET and a bit of C++

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Font Border0