Bulk install of [official] addons for kodi after fresh install
Hello!

Is there a way to bulk install kodi addons after a fresh install?

I sometimes end up having to install my fav addons one by one, like this:
 Kodi > addons > search > Subscene > install
Kodi > addons > search > Addic7ed > install
Kodi > addons > search > Autosubs > install
Kodi > addons > search > Openweather > install
Kodi > addons > search > CU LRC lyrics > install

I looked here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Addon.xml#addon.xml_for_scripts but it is no help!

Thanks!
Someone else might have a better suggestion, but you could build an "empty" addon that requires all the official addons you want to install.  I believe if you zip that and then install via zip that during the install process the empty addon would install any other required addons.  On the page to which you linked just look at the REQUIRES section to see what I mean.
BACK THEM UP make a copy of addon folder and Kodi\userdata\addon_data you may need to go yo my addons and enable addons
Thank you both. Next time for a clean install, I will keep these ideas in mind.
(2019-07-16, 14:15)pkscout Wrote: Someone else might have a better suggestion, but you could build an "empty" addon that requires all the official addons you want to install.  I believe if you zip that and then install via zip that during the install process the empty addon would install any other required addons.  On the page to which you linked just look at the REQUIRES section to see what I mean.

That would be my approach as well.  I tried it, installing the addon as a module so it doesn't show up in the UI like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<addon id="script.module.inst_addons" name="Install addons" version="1.0.0" provider-name="me">
    <requires>
        <import addon="resource.language.en_us" version="9.0.12"/>
        <import addon="screensaver.bing" version="1.0.3"/>
        <import addon="script.artistslideshow" version="2.1.4"/>
        <import addon="script.cu.lrclyrics" version="5.5.14"/>
        <import addon="script.extendedinfo" version="5.6.0"/>
    </requires>
    <extension point="xbmc.python.module" library="lib" />
    <extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
        <summary lang="en">Std addon installer</summary>
        <description lang="en">install my must have addons</description>
        <platform>all</platform>
        <license>GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2.1, February 1999</license>
        <news>No news is good news</news>
    </extension>
</addon>

placed in a script.module.inst_addons folder which I zipped up and installed via install from zip in Kodi 19 190718 nightly.

scott s.
Those are some options on how to do it.

However this isn't the kind of discussion we encourage, as it's not too big a jump from doing this for official addons to doing it for dodgy ones if suitable repos or sources are also installed...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Excuse me, but this argument is flawed.

Every serious operating system has always provided a method of scripting its setup. (Except Apple, but Kodi isn't Apple; it is open source.) Even Microsoft Windows, which is not open source, has. In fact, its first iteration (as batch setup or bsetup in Windows 95) was exceptionally good.

The fact that a batch setup script can be abused to also install illegal software is a consequence not of the scripting itself, but of the inability/unwillingness of the OS itself to block illegal sources. Not having a batch setup script doesn't make installation of illegal software more difficult; you can load Kodi with tons of illegality after stock setup, thank you very much. But the speed and efficiency with which it can be done is such, as to make many Kodi users desire to clone these batch installers in order to use them for legitimate purposes, i.e. to install a more streamlined, more customized version of legal Kodi. Thus the non-inclusion of a batch setup script indirectly promotes illegal installers while doing nothing to keep illegal software out of Kodi.

As the gentleman noted in his OP, there is not that many addons users whish to include to/exclude from a default install. But the time savings are enormous.

To many, including myself, it is inexplicable why Kodi does not provide a basic customizable python script to replicate what Microsoft did back in 1995 with its bsetup script. I am talking from a strictly legal/marketing perspective.  
(2022-05-08, 09:37)DiMag Wrote: Every serious operating system has always provided a method of scripting its setup. (Except Apple, but Kodi isn't Apple; it is open source.) Even Microsoft Windows, which is not open source, has. In fact, its first iteration (as batch setup or bsetup in Windows 95) was exceptionally good.
Excuse me, but your comparison is a bit flawed. Kodi is not an OS for starters, and its team has the tiniest of the resources compared to giants like Microsoft and Apple. How many active developers do you reckon Kodi has at the moment? I think the catering services alone for Microsoft or Apple have 100-1000x the people working worldwide.

(2022-05-08, 09:37)DiMag Wrote: Not having a batch setup script doesn't make installation of illegal software more difficult;
True. Just like an excavator that you should use for moving dirt around, instead of letting it help robbing a bank. IMO, doing a fresh install of a boatload of add-ons needs to happen only once. After that, the typical Kodi user usually sticks to that same installation. After that, making a backup of the Kodi setup should be common practice as you would do with any of your (personal) computer files. Creating backups is the Achilles heel of most computer users though (I should also be more active in that regard), but they also will save you a crapload of time when something is not working properly anymore. And besides, backups won't require you to re-enter all settings for each add-on.

Is there a 100% fail safe backup tool for Kodi? No, because Kodi runs on a multitude of different systems and setups, and every one of them can have its unique side effects. So users may still need to do a bit of handy work. It's not the end of the world. The question is perhaps: how often do you need to re-install your Kodi setup? And why is that? If sellers of the so-called "Kodi boxes" want to do their thing, they can just as well work for it.

So Team Kodi creating an installer tool for a new set of add-ons is really not at the top of our to-do list. On the other hand, the 'bad guys' already have done exactly that for years with their builds and wizards. We're not going to reinvent the wheel. And yes, Kodi is open-source. Anyone can create such your bulk add-on install script. Just compare the time & effort needed for designing/creating/testing such a faultless script, and how much it takes to reinstall a couple of add-ons.

(2022-05-08, 09:37)DiMag Wrote: Thus the non-inclusion of a batch setup script indirectly promotes illegal installers while doing nothing to keep illegal software out of Kodi.
Well, thank you for accusing us of helping create illegal software. As already mentioned, the team is lacking developers to begin with, so we have our hands full. And not to forget that one of our own is still living in the midst of Ukraine, having other things on his mind, thank you very much.

(2022-05-08, 09:37)DiMag Wrote: I am talking from a strictly legal/marketing perspective.  
I still don't quite follow the legal part, and the marketing perspective won't change anything for us. If the total number of Kodi users were to be less than half tomorrow morning because of the loss of all piracy users, then that's just fine. Kodi is still not a commercial company.
The only true answer to the request for a batch installer is "(1) you don't need it, (2) use a backup (3) then make as many digital copies of it as you need".

As to (1), yes we need it, as evidenced by this post.
As to (2), you undermine your own argument by noting that backups are tedious and tricky to transfer from one OS to another. Plus starting afresh is always better than cloning something where something has gone awry but the level of interdependence makes it difficult to point to the culprit.
As to (3), you just described the method used by illegal installers. Actually the worst of them: those distributing full builds, where along with non-customizable addons malware is forced down the throat of users.  

As to the defense that one of your team members lives in Ukraine, I should refrain myself to stating that a court of law would proclaim it as either inadmissible or not pertinent. This is a FOSS community, and anyone has the right to be AFK for as long as he wishes; no explanation required or expected.
(2022-05-08, 12:34)DiMag Wrote: As to (1), yes we need it, as evidenced by this post.
Unless you are using "we" as in 'Pluralis majestatis', the number of requests for an addon installer tool on this forum can be counted on one human hand for as far as I can remember.

(2022-05-08, 12:34)DiMag Wrote: As to (2), you undermine your own argument by noting that backups are tedious and tricky to transfer from one OS to another.
Partially. I also noted that backups have the advantage of keeping all settings for the add-ons. Installing add-ons as new will not have that benefit.

(2022-05-08, 12:34)DiMag Wrote: you just described the method used by illegal installers. Actually the worst of them: those distributing full builds, where along with non-customizable addons malware is forced down the throat of users.
Installers come in all sizes and flavors. Who says that any add-on installer by Team Kodi won't be forked, changed & abused for any not-so legal purposes. As it would of course also be an open-source tool. And Kodi users know what they can expect when using such add-ons. They have all ignored the warning in Kodi when enabling external sources for repositories, add-ons and soon.

(2022-05-08, 12:34)DiMag Wrote: I should refrain myself to stating that a court of law would proclaim it as either inadmissible or not pertinent
You really must be _the_ fun guy at parties.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bulk install of [official] addons for kodi after fresh install0