Filtering By Artist Gender
(2019-08-27, 00:04)DaveBlake Wrote: Artist gender is already scraped by the Universal Artist scraper, and can be used in both dynamic filtering and smart playlists. Not a property you need to add manually (but you may need to re-scrape to populate).
I don't want to go off-topic but can you give me a pointer on how to achieve this, please?  I didn't see gender as a tag/property when passing my music through Picard and I don't see gender as an option in smart playlists. Would it filter a band who has a female singer as the lead?  Or just solo female artists?  Thanks in advance.

P.S. Thanks for the tips.  And, yes, I do use Estuary.  Tried other skins but I keep coming back to it.
Off topic not a problem @dubwat I can split into own thread, and a topic others might find helpful too Smile

Kodi Leia has some additional artist properties - gender, type e.g. "person", "group", "orchestra", "choir" and disambiguation text (so you can tell John Williams the guitarist from his name sake that composes film scores). Sadly Estuary does not show this data on the Artist Info dialog (although another  team member is looking at an improvement for that dialog) so it is no wonder that many users will not know anything about it! Other skins, like good old Confluence and Aeon Nox do show this new data, hopefully user interst will grow with time.

Like most other artist properties these do not come from the metadata tag embedded in music files, but are populated by scraping additional artist information either from online sites or from a local artist.nfo file. The Muiscbrainz site has this data for most artists, and scraping artists with the Universal Artist Scraper will fetch it. Our you can add it to the artist.nfo files and scrape those. If you have an older music database that you migrated to v18, and have not rescraped the artists then this data will be missing.

So first step is to determinie if you have scraped this data (by looking using a skin that shows it), or if not then re-scraping the artists is necessary. Use "Query Info for all" on the context menu when showing an artists node (list of artists) to do this.

Once populated you can then use gender rules in artists smartplaylists and custom nodes, on when using the sideblade filter on an artists node.
Quote:Would it filter a band who has a female singer as the lead? 
It depends what gender you store for the band. Musicbrainz does not give artist type = "group" a gender, only type "person" has gender values hence the scraper won't do this, but there is nothing stopping you from using artist.nfo files to give the band whatever gender value you want.

I find filtering artists by gender really useful, I also put things into the <instrumments> field too, that can be a nice way to pick what I want to play. The key is to realise that you need to get additional artist data setup, and then you are away.

If you need more help then ask, I have just given broad brushstrokes. Perhaps someone might turn this thread into a pretty guide with screen shots and everything Smile
(2019-08-27, 19:46)DaveBlake Wrote: If you need more help then ask, I have just given broad brushstrokes. Perhaps someone might turn this thread into a pretty guide with screen shots and everything Smile 

Thanks!  I just wanted a pointer.  I now have my homework for tomorrow Smile

I think my niggles are two-fold.  One would seem to be Estuary.  I've used it for a year or two for videos and it works well for me.  I like the 'vertical' menus & it's 'simplicity'.  Don't know why but I didn't take to horizontal menus.  But, for music, I might need to change.

The second is maybe that I need to change my expectations.  I've used Musicbee on Windows for many years.  It's billed as a music manager with a player built-on.  Kodi is, dare I say it, a music player without a comprehensive music manager.  Don't get me wrong - I was amazed when I discovered I could scrape artist bio's/pictures & background info on albums!  I just need to adjust.

Anyways, these problems are mine, not yours or Kodi's!  Thanks again for all your work on the music section of Kodi.
P.S.  Forgot to add.  I have Kodi on my PC for messing around with (skins mostly & seeing how my small classical music collection appears in kodi).  With Confluence, I can see gender etc as options!
(2019-08-27, 19:46)DaveBlake Wrote: Once populated you can then use gender rules in artists smartplaylists and custom nodes, on when using the sideblade filter on an artists node.
@DaveBlake , thanks for tip on Confluence.  One can filter by gender using the sideblade!  Unfortunately, I lose the ability to show 'My Rating' which was the subject of my first thread on this site
[(Estuary) Settings>Interface>Skin>Configure skin...>General>Choose rating to display for media items)

Anyways, back to Filter by Artist Gender...
Artist Smart Playlists: 
I didn't see gender as an option when using several skins (see below).  All the skins seem to use a common list of choices so I presume I'm doing something wrong?

Filter by Side Blade:
Aeon MQ8 - Yes
Aeon Nox: SiLVO - Yes
Amber - Yes
Bello 7 - Yes
Box - No
Confluence - Yes
Estuary - Yes
Pellucid - No (no filter option)
Rapier - No (no filter option)
Revolve - No?  Text Input and 'female' gave no results.
Transparency! - Yes
Unity - Yes
Xperience 1080 - Yes

Notes:  I was using Kodi 18.3 on Windows 10 PC with keyboard and mouse.
I doubt that you are doing anything wrong.  It's entirely down to a skin author as to what information or choices are displayed in the skin from the full set of information that Kodi provides.  Some skins are designed to be very lightweight and not use many resources, so the quantity of information provided in some areas is usually less than with a 'full featured' skin.  Also, coding a skin can take a considerable amount of time and in some cases it could be that Kodi's feature set is in front of the current release of that particular skin.

If you feel that you would like to stick with a particular skin, but that it doesn't provide the same info that a different skin does, there is no harm in asking in the skins support thread whether the author can include that info in a subsequent release.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I'd be reluctant to ask for changes because they're volunteers afterall.  And Kodi (Estuary in my case) does 99% of what I need so I'm not too bothered about it. 

I've been using kodi for about 2 years now and the two times I asked questions here, Kodi could already do it!  It just wasn't obvious to me Smile
Well I have good hopes that Estuary (the skin you seem to prefer @dubwat) in due course will display more artist information. And the current lack on the artist info dialog does not prevent you using gender as a filter or smartplaylist  rule (just makes it hard for users to know they have gender data).

But I also I don't understand the suggestion that Confluence doesn't display album userrating. I clearly see album userrating on both albums nodes (when sorted  by user rating) and on the artist information dialog. You say of using Confluence "Unfortunately, I lose the ability to show 'My Rating'..." can you explain?
Hi,
I never said 'album userrating'.  I meant 'My Rating'.

My music starts life in MusicBee on Windows.  I apply an individual song rating and MusicBee calculates the album rating (auto album-rating is optional).

When I moved over to Kodi, my song ratings and (auto)-album ratings came with the music library.  I can't find it in the kodi wiki now but I thought 'My Rating' meant a rating that *I* applied to an individual song.  Which, coming from MusicBee, meant individual song rating.

Anyways, in Estuary, I can go to settings>interface>skin>skin setting and choose a rating to display.  In Confluence, I can't.

Estuary:

Confluence

Re Music>Artists>ArtistName>AlbumName:
My bad.  Confluence does show the 'My Rating' but I prefer the way Estuary does it.  Same as Movies (but at the bottom of the pic Smile )

Estuary

Confluence

Re: Music>Albums>AlbumName>(i)nformation:
Estuary (Song 'My Rating' but no album rating)

Confluence: (No song 'My Rating' but album rating).  Album rating is 4/5 instead of 8/10... Assuming albums are rated out of 10 same as songs?
Swings and roundabouts Smile

It's not the end of the world.  I'm still new to music in Kodi and my smart playlists are still simple, e.g., Rock with a 'My Rating' of 8+ and so on.  This gives me songs (not albums) with an 8+ score.
Since we are cluttering up a nice thread about filtering using gender with a discussion of showing ratings (my fault entirely) I will probably split out those posts to a new thread.

@dubwat you seem to be surprized that skins show information in different ways, I always thought that was the point of skins (along with pretty colours and artwork). It is not usually a mistake, although that happens, it is by design for the skin.

Quote:I never said 'album userrating'.  I meant 'My Rating'.
Sure, but same thing. Albums and songs both have userrating values held in the db, when displayed by skins they get labeled as "my rating". As a db guy I tend to use the db field name (or tag names if the data comes from music file tags), but I was talking about what you talking about.

I repeat both albums and songs can have userrating values (labeled as "My Rating" when the skins shows a label) the context dictating  whether it is an album or song value.

Confluence shows song userrating on the song infomation dialog (and when listing songs sorted by my rating). It shows album userrating on the album infomation dialog (and when listing albums sorted by my rating). Seems totaly reasonable to me.

Quote:I'm still new to music in Kodi and my smart playlists are still simple, e.g., Rock with a 'My Rating' of 8+ and so on.  This gives me songs (not albums) with an 8+ score.
A "songs" smart playlist a "My Rating" rule will use song userrating.
An "albums" smart playlist a "My Rating" rule will use album userrating.

Just to further your understanding of Kodi behaviour. Smile
Thank you Smile  I realise I'm the odd one out.  As I mentioned already, every time I ask a question, it seems Kodi already does it or has that feature.  Kodi and the dev team (& your good self) have been making a highly successful product for years so I need to adjust to you (plural), not the other way around!

Have a nice weekend!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filtering By Artist Gender0