Black screen at startup
Hi, I'm not very technically skilled but have been using Kodi since many years, in shape of kodibuntu. Now the underlying linux version apparently was too obsolete to allow further updates of kodi itself so I decided to wipe everything out and install from scratch after having backed up the userdata folder.

So installed ubuntu 18.04.3 desktop for AMD on an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 and ran Software updater.
Then installed kodi and can see that I got version 2:18.4+git20190831.2224-final-0bionic.
Never restored anything from the old userdata folder.

Launching kodi from linux results in black screen for 25 seconds, then back on the linux screen.

In the kodi log file I can see error messages but not clear to me if they are the reason for the black screen, and if so what I need to do to come around the problem:
- ERROR: DBus error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs - No such property 'CanSuspend'
- ERROR: DBus error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs - No such property 'CanHibernate'

Log is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/32hjc9u8dib5nrw/kodi.log?dl=0

Having a 32 inch Panasonic as display, which worked fine in the old kodibuntu setup, but having a feeling this could be the issue, but a feeling from somebody inexperienced is maybe not of much value...

Anyone who can assist please? I know how to connect via putty, type commands in terminal window.
Thx
I'm no expert either and I have a different system to you but when I've had this issue before it's been the a mistake or incompatibility in one/some of the files in the userdata folder.

Usually it's been the advancedsettings file.

Do you have your userdata backed up locally or remotely. If you have it safe I would suggest deleting the files (NOT folders) via SSH terminal.

Advancedsettings and other config files are I believe automatically generated on the next Kodi start
(2019-09-05, 18:41)Rue218 Wrote: Hi, I'm not very technically skilled but have been using Kodi since many years, in shape of kodibuntu. Now the underlying linux version apparently was too obsolete to allow further updates of kodi itself so I decided to wipe everything out and install from scratch after having backed up the userdata folder.

So installed ubuntu 18.04.3 desktop for AMD on an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 and ran Software updater.
Then installed kodi and can see that I got version 2:18.4+git20190831.2224-final-0bionic.
Never restored anything from the old userdata folder.

Launching kodi from linux results in black screen for 25 seconds, then back on the linux screen.

In the kodi log file I can see error messages but not clear to me if they are the reason for the black screen, and if so what I need to do to come around the problem:
- ERROR: DBus error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs - No such property 'CanSuspend'
- ERROR: DBus error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs - No such property 'CanHibernate'

Log is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/32hjc9u8dib5nrw/kodi.log?dl=0

Having a 32 inch Panasonic as display, which worked fine in the old kodibuntu setup, but having a feeling this could be the issue, but a feeling from somebody inexperienced is maybe not of much value...

Anyone who can assist please? I know how to connect via putty, type commands in terminal window.
Thx
Hi, the problem was that Nvidia display drivers a) needed to be updated, and b) needed  to be configured to be used (instead of X server) using the Software updater.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen at startup0