DVD2XBOX intergration into XBMC?
a great suggestion was made by manekineko in the features forum, he said:
Quote:is there any reason no one just integrates dvd2xbox into xbmc? dvd2xbox is open source and based in large part on xbmp isn't it?

i think the dev of dvd2xbox should become a part of the xbmc team and they just integrate dvd2xbox into xbmc.

even though this may have no affect on the real world, what do you think as an xbmc user?

keep it short (a simple i agree or i disagree will do).
reading must be magical or something, it's how i find all da anwsers!
------
Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) | AMD Sempron 2600+ | ATi 2400HD Pro | Asus AE1 Barebone ---- Ubuntu 9.04RC (64bit) | AMD 5000+ | BIOSTAR TA790GX XE w/ ATi 3300
i disagree... i don't really mind either way, but overall i think it is better as a seperate app (for thos that don't use xbmc as their dash, etc)..

is that short enough? Wink
1. i don't think wiso is using "large" parts of xbmc/p for his app.
2. i can't see the advantage in merging both projects to one app.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Exclamation 
i actually think it's a good idea, ....but not before xbmc 1.0 is done (and wiso would have to be willing too Image ) - just my 2 cents
(xbmc devs are planning to code and implement a cdda-ripper before 2.0 but that would be in a more spep-by-step wizard style)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i have nieces and nephews that use the xbox, and i would rather they copy the game to the xbox rather than scratching up the disc (can't watch them all the time).

and you know how kids love to watch the same moives over and over, again the idea is to copy it to the media center (the xbox) and put the disc away. get tired of buying crappy movies cause they broke the disc (scrated, cracked, and unreadable).

since dvd2xbox is already there and is an excellent option for copying disc, i figured it would save the xbmc team time, and give more meaning to wiso's work ( i think he will be left out in the cold after i make a python script that copies games and movies the way i want).

i know you guys dont want to support piracy, but for us legal buyers this is a great feature to make it all happen from the dash.
Quote:i disagree... i don't really mind either way, but overall i think it is better as a seperate app (for thos that don't use xbmc as their dash, etc)..

is that short enough? Wink
if it was built in you would use xbmc as dash, which is only a matter of time ylsf (you will use xbmc as dash this can be proven by the theory of relativity and natural selectioin) Image
------
Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) | AMD Sempron 2600+ | ATi 2400HD Pro | Asus AE1 Barebone ---- Ubuntu 9.04RC (64bit) | AMD 5000+ | BIOSTAR TA790GX XE w/ ATi 3300
he is using parts of xbmp/xbmc, which is why it became open source. he dosnt need to be willing, all the code is on sourceforge. i really think that in dash ripping is a good feature, ive loved it ever since i started using unleashx. dvd2xbox is still the best ripper, and it seems only natural that xbmc has a dvd/game ripper in it, expecially since it wont currently play dvd menus.
one thing that would be nice to get from the source is fix for samsung drive decss
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
(wabidwoveren @ may 01 2004,20:27 Wrote:it seems only natural that xbmc has a dvd/game ripper in it, expecially since it wont currently play dvd menus.
is there really a connection between these two issues? if xbmc can't play dvd menus, it would be better to integrate something which can display dvd menus, such as libdvdnav (mplayer actually does use libdvdnav, too, as we know from linux. we just need the integration and it will be there.)

ripping/copying of anything is a completely different task to what xbmc is trying to achieve, imo. xbmc in every other regard is a read-only navigation tool. it has a file browser but doesn't even let you copy files. this is actually a good thing imo because no annoying kid can get to your xbox and inadvertently erase its hard drive.

if anything which permitted modification of important data did ever get created for xbmc, i would be hoping that it was behind a nice, passworded administration interface, both to stop accidents, and intentional tampering by cretin house guests.
i'd love such integration, but only after 1.0 will see the light ™ and (well, almost) all bugs will be trashed out of it.

then, it will be a very nice and useful extra to have in a single power app.
(trejkaz @ may 03 2004,02:46 Wrote:ripping/copying of anything is a completely different task to what xbmc is trying to achieve, imo.  xbmc in every other regard is a read-only navigation tool.  it has a file browser but doesn't even let you copy files.  this is actually a good thing imo because no annoying kid can get to your xbox and inadvertently erase its hard drive.
yes it does... you can copy, move, delete and rename files.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

i think this is a great idea. whats with all the resistance?
there's only so many things you can do with media on an xbox so lets not miss anything out! if its related to media and it's useful, xbmc should have it as an option Smile
i still can't see the advantage in implementing all this into xbmc. whats the deal to start another app to do it. if we put all features of dvd2xbox into xbmc it will become bigger and harder to maintain the main features of it.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
ok poeple, i wil say this!

its called xbmc "media center" what is the point if everytime i want to watch a movie or play a game i got to get up and go get it (every time) instead of keeping it loaded on the "media center"

in short, the media should be with the media center, not scattared about on dvd disc.

what was the point of me putting in a bigger dirve if i can't easily copy the media to the media center.

btw i just want to remind the xbmc team how much we appreciate their work. and we all will continue to support them, even if they don't integrate this particular functionality.

xbmc is the greatest app out for the xbox, better than the games themselvs!
------
how about you copy your disks to the hdd then?

there are many ways you can do this - use an xbox app, use the xbmc file manager, do it via your pc - what else do you want?

the point we make is we will not offer "ripping" ability of dvds/cds at least not until other more important things are sorted out first.

Smile 
on second thoughts it might not be so smart implementing dvd2xbox's xbox-game backup function or dvd-ripping into xbmc,
as both of those may have troublesome legal consequences. we're probebely better of in only copying the cd-ripping library Image

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD2XBOX intergration into XBMC?0