Cached setting?
I'm starting to think there is an issue with my setting being saved or cached somewhere.  I noticed when I deleted a profile and userdata folder, if I create a profile with the same name, sometimes when I log into that profile for the first time all my settings from the deleted profile are still there.  Also, I have a different color set for my background for the default skin but half the time when I log in, it's reverted back to the default blue color.  Additionally, I had a network source added that was an SMB with no username or password, Then I completely deleted that source and added a network source using the pc name (MediaServer) instead of the IP but wasn't happy with it so, lastly, I deleted that source and re-added the network source by IP address but WITH a username and password. All this happened among multiple log off's/log-ons and multiple computer reboots.  When I run kodi now and check the log I see this:

2019-10-18 14:24:07.601 T:9024   DEBUG: XFILE::CWin32SMBDirectory::ConnectAndAuthenticate: Connected to "\\192.168.1.64\F" without username and without password
2019-10-18 14:24:07.604 T:9024   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2019-10-18 14:24:07.604 T:9024   DEBUG: XFILE::CWin32SMBDirectory::ConnectAndAuthenticate: Connected to "\\MEDIASERVER\F" without username and without password
2019-10-18 14:24:07.607 T:9024   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2019-10-18 14:24:07.607 T:9024   DEBUG: XFILE::CWin32SMBDirectory::ConnectAndAuthenticate: Connected to "\\192.168.1.64\F" with username "nick" and with password
2019-10-18 14:24:07.626 T:9024   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 3 times.

Why are the first two lines there if I deleted the source?

Lastly, I have other folders added as sources for my movies.  On several occasions I have noticed the source has disappeared or the source is still there but the content type has changed from Movies to None and I haven't made those changes.  Just now, as a test, I set my movie folder to be excluded from library updates and then went into kodi and clicked Update Library.  When I check the log, it's listing all my movies as being scanned and updated.  

Is there somewhere that old setting could be getting cached or something?  Thanks.
Quite a few questions, some easier to answer while some would require heavy ground work on my part. Let's make this easy, somewhat simple and maybe some understanding Kodi is still a work in progress. (I'm not a big fan of 'profiles') On occasion; should Kodi have issues with part of it's code it will return to default mode, and in that most settings are lost. You can delete the entire 'userdata folder' and next launch Kodi will rebuild it in default mode (of course you lose all your settings and library).

Looking at the userdata folder we find the addon_data folder and located there is most of the settings for skins, add-ons and some stuff. The userdata folder also contains profile.xml and using an editor we can see all the flags and settings. Networking issues have caused many a headache and would seem to follow windows updates, the latest in windows 10 with SMB3 and embedded names and passwords and your issue Authenticate lines is not clear how that is occurring unless your source path in one profile is different than the main. Check the sources.xml with an editor and see if there is more than one listed.
(2019-10-18, 20:41)nolos Wrote: set my movie folder to be excluded from library update
The scan still takes place, but any new listing should be excluded from the library, But previous entries will be viable.
(2019-10-18, 20:41)nolos Wrote: content type has changed from Movies to None and I haven't made those changes.
Some issue here not sure, but likely source is 'profiles' not fully engaging properly. The only other explanation is Kodi defaulting from some error.

Tell me what your need for 'profiles' function is, perhaps there is a better way.
(2019-10-19, 03:07)PatK Wrote: Quite a few questions, some easier to answer while some would require heavy ground work on my part. Let's make this easy, somewhat simple and maybe some understanding Kodi is still a work in progress. (I'm not a big fan of 'profiles') On occasion; should Kodi have issues with part of it's code it will return to default mode, and in that most settings are lost. You can delete the entire 'userdata folder' and next launch Kodi will rebuild it in default mode (of course you lose all your settings and library).

Looking at the userdata folder we find the addon_data folder and located there is most of the settings for skins, add-ons and some stuff. The userdata folder also contains profile.xml and using an editor we can see all the flags and settings. Networking issues have caused many a headache and would seem to follow windows updates, the latest in windows 10 with SMB3 and embedded names and passwords and your issue Authenticate lines is not clear how that is occurring unless your source path in one profile is different than the main. Check the sources.xml with an editor and see if there is more than one listed.
(2019-10-18, 20:41)nolos Wrote: set my movie folder to be excluded from library update
The scan still takes place, but any new listing should be excluded from the library, But previous entries will be viable.
(2019-10-18, 20:41)nolos Wrote: content type has changed from Movies to None and I haven't made those changes.
Some issue here not sure, but likely source is 'profiles' not fully engaging properly. The only other explanation is Kodi defaulting from some error.

Tell me what your need for 'profiles' function is, perhaps there is a better way. 
Well, as you can tell from all my other posts, i'm having several issues with the profiles and also SQL.  I have two profiles, Mine and my wifes, we both share the movie folders but have our own tv shows.  I have 2 PCs and 3 firesticks using kodi throughout the house.  I've had my setup in place for a while.  It gets me by but It never really worked correctly.  I decided to start from scratch and reinstall kodi on my media server using all the little tricks I have learned about kodi over the years.  Now that I'm trying to do it right, I'm running into several issues.  I have started posting threads for each but am not having much luck in the form of solutions.  Until now, I have added my 2 movie folders and my tv show folder (just talking about my profile for now) as sources on every pc and firestick but I am using SQL and have recently learned that I only need to add the sources on my media server and once the library is synced, they will appear in the library of the other machines without needing to add the media sources on each of them.  As long as I update my library on the media server occasionally then the libraries on the other machines will be updated as well.  So that's how I set it up and it worked....once.  After loading everything into the library the first time, my media server quit being able to connect to the SMB somehow.  I don't have an explanation and nothing really shows in the log concerning it (even with the SMB and SQL specific logging turned on).  I tried readding the smb with and without a password but still now luck.  Then I noticed all the trouble with the setting apparently not saving (the stuff mentioned above).  Your explanation makes sense but I don't understand why it's happening.  It's just a lot of little stuff that all kinda linked together and nobody really seems to have any definitive answers to SQL stuff so I am troubleshooting it on my own, and every time I dive deeper into the SQL rabbit hole I spend hours trying to fix something only to realize the profile just didn't load with my settings and so my sources weren't loaded or some other trivial issue.  Ya know what I'm sayin?
I don't think I can offer a fix for some of the issues you presently experience, I don't use SQL nor profiles (only one in the house). I would have handled this with smart playlists and nodes. The movie database is shared by both of you across multiple devices, that stays the same. Create playlists for each of you and include just the specific shows for each (path rules for individual folders perhaps) and set-up a custom home menu button for each, or embed these in a node. I understand there is talk for a move away from profiles and sql in the distant future. A 'light bulb moment' two portable Kodi installations, one for the wife and one for you might be possible?
(2019-10-19, 23:08)PatK Wrote: I don't think I can offer a fix for some of the issues you presently experience, I don't use SQL nor profiles (only one in the house). I would have handled this with smart playlists and nodes. The movie database is shared by both of you across multiple devices, that stays the same. Create playlists for each of you and include just the specific shows for each (path rules for individual folders perhaps) and set-up a custom home menu button for each, or embed these in a node. I understand there is talk for a move away from profiles and sql in the distant future. A 'light bulb moment' two portable Kodi installations, one for the wife and one for you might be possible?

I thought about the portable kodi installations but several of them are to be on firesticks so that wouldn't work for me.  If I can just figure out this smb issue I think i'll be good.  I have to user:pass saved in the configuration for the network share yet it doesn't work after I get all my shows in for the first time.  I can browse all through the share just fine.  It's like it only has trouble accessing the share when I'm doing a library update.
If you remove SQL out of the equation, you might be able to effect a solve. If your library/database/source is only on the PC, then Kodi installations on all devices just becomes a network issue.  e.g. a launch of Kodi on the satellites will auto scrape and your libraries will be current on each.

in sources.xml on my Android device: Computer\SHIELD Android TV\USB drive\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\userdata each source looks like this.

<video>
         <source>
            <name>Classics</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://GATOR/N/Classics/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
</video>

Then in the password.xml for each drive.... in this case drive is N: and the folder is Classic movies.

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://GATOR/N</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://patk:**mypassword**@GATOR/N/Classics/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

Gator is the name of the PC and my user name is patk, the password doesn't include the * and is located in the same folder on the Android device. Have a peek and see what you have.
(2019-10-22, 18:34)PatK Wrote: If you remove SQL out of the equation, you might be able to effect a solve. If your library/database/source is only on the PC, then Kodi installations on all devices just becomes a network issue.  e.g. a launch of Kodi on the satellites will auto scrape and your libraries will be current on each.

in sources.xml on my Android device: Computer\SHIELD Android TV\USB drive\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\userdata each source looks like this.

<video>
         <source>
            <name>Classics</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://GATOR/N/Classics/</path>
        </source>
</video>

Then in the password.xml for each drive.... in this case drive is N: and the folder is Classic movies.

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://GATOR/N</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://patk:**mypassword**@GATOR/N/Classics/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

Gator is the name of the PC and my user name is patk, the password doesn't include the * and is located in the same folder on the Android device. Have a peek and see what you have.
That's interesting.  I have some questions about that password file.  I don't have one in my folder under my profile(\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\profiles\nick\), however I do have one under the main userdata folder (\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\).  Is there just one password.xml that's used for all profiles?  Also, I have just started tinkering with the different places my username/password is added on my sources to see if it help.  I'm currently looking at my sources.xml and my mediasources.xml and have a little confusion going on.  MY mediasources xml looks like this right after I add the network location:

<mediasources>
    <network>
        <location id="1">smb://xxxx:[email protected]/</location>
    </network>
</mediasources>

and my sources.xml file looks like this right after I add the 2 locations containing my movies:

<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <source>
            <name>BluRays</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.64/F/Media/BluRays/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.64/F/Media/Movies/</path>
        </source>
    </video>
    <music>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
    <games>
    </games>
</sources>

Two things got me wondering;
1. Why is there a password.xml if the username and password are stored in the sources.xml?
2.  Why is the username/password missing from my entries in the mediasources.xml?

I want to elaborate on #2

I assume that you don't need the user/pass credentials in there because they are getting that info from the sources folder?  But when I check the wiki, i get lost.  Here is the wiki example of the sources.xml:

<music>
      <default>Main Music Collection</default>
      <source>
        <name>Main Music Collection</name>
        <path>smb://username:password@Server.com/share/music/</path>
      </source>
    </music>

Notice that they have the username and password in the source here?

So the final questions I have are,

Which way should I be putting my entries in the sources.xml, with or without the credentials?
What is the password.xml file's purpose and am I supposed to have one in each profile folder or just one in the main userdata folder?

Thanks for keeping on this Patk Smile
(2019-10-23, 18:03)nolos Wrote: Two things got me wondering;
1. Why is there a password.xml if the username and password are stored in the sources.xml?
2.  Why is the username/password missing from my entries in the mediasources.xml?
1) In my example the pswds are not included in the sources, this is the sources.xml file located on the Android device for the Shield Kodi.
2) I neglected to include my mediasources.xml content. Both of these files do not exist on my PC \Roaming\Kodi\userdata\

<mediasources>
    <network>
        <location id="0">smb://patk:**pwrd*@GATOR/</location>
    </network>
</mediasources>

Add the user name and pswrd manually if needed.
(2019-10-23, 19:17)PatK Wrote:
(2019-10-23, 18:03)nolos Wrote: Two things got me wondering;
1) In my example the pswds are not included in the sources, this is the sources.xml file located on the Android device for the Shield Kodi.
2) I neglected to include my mediasources.xml content. Both of these files do not exist on my PC \Roaming\Kodi\userdata\

<mediasources>
    <network>
        <location id="0">smb://patk:**pwrd*@GATOR/</location>
    </network>
</mediasources>

Add the user name and pswrd manually if needed. 
so you're saying that I can manually add my passwords in the sources and mediasources files, but if there is no passwords then it will look for a passwords file?
(2019-10-23, 21:35)nolos Wrote: if there is no passwords then it will look for a passwords file?
Think windows SMB networking requires a username & password unless I'm mistaken. Let's have a debug log of what's going on.
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/dsfVPsFqmz/

A couple of things I wonder.

Notice the nfs reference?  I did a search through every file in kodi and didn't find any reference to the nfs share that I deleted so where is it coming form in the log? I also dumped my DB and started over so it couldn't be in there.  How/where is it still being stored?

alos, I re-added the smb, and manually added the user/pass creds to every file I could think of, sources.xml, mediasources.xml, and passwords.xml.  We will see if I still have issues today when updating the library.  But I did notice in the log when it's trying to check/modify different sources, the path is something like nfs://......, but when I look at the smb references in the log the : is missing.  SMB//.....  is this supposed to have the colon omitted?
I note in your log reference to banned repositories, and until those are removed support can no longer be offered. Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki)  I further suggest that some of these overlays may have damaged the functionality of the smooth operation of Kodi. I encourage you to install a portable installation and ensure it's functionality and we can take it from there https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
(2019-10-24, 18:23)PatK Wrote: I note in your log reference to banned repositories, and until those are removed support can no longer be offered. Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki)  I further suggest that some of these overlays may have damaged the functionality of the smooth operation of Kodi. I encourage you to install a portable installation and ensure it's functionality and we can take it from there https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable

Ya, I tinkered long ago with some and now I make sure everything is on the up-and up.  I did an install of Leia over the top of my older kodi version and they STILL show up even though I have removed them some time ago.  I guess the only way to get them fully gone is to completely uninstall kodi and reinstall.  It seems as though kodi doesn't remove dependencies for addons when they are uninstalled.
@nolos
You can remove those pesky unwanted dependencies manually by going to SYSTEM/SYSTEM(yes again)/ADD-ONS/Manage Dependencies, once there look for any orphaned (left over) items.
Click on each orphaned item and select uninstall.
Your system will now be clear of unwanted items.
(2019-10-24, 21:49)OTinley Wrote: @nolos
You can remove those pesky unwanted dependencies manually by going to SYSTEM/SYSTEM(yes again)/ADD-ONS/Manage Dependencies, once there look for any orphaned (left over) items.
Click on each orphaned item and select uninstall.
Your system will now be clear of unwanted items.

TY, i'm not sure which ones are orphaned and which ones are still used by kodi.  I'm in the process of just uninstalling and reinstalling everything to get rid of this once and for all.  This machine is my main unit and rarely gets logged into and I think some old addons have been sitting there and auto updating for years.  All my content is paid for now so it's sad to see some rogue addons doing what they should be doing and the legal methods not working correctly, right. lol.  Anyhow, thanks for the advice up to this point and hopefully we can pick this up tomorrow after I get everything back to a clean install.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cached setting?0