• 13(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
(2020-12-26, 00:40)blackreign66 Wrote:
(2020-12-26, 00:11)sk83 Wrote:  
Cool!!!! I'm going to test this build along with advancedsettings. Thank you
My build includes some informational logging for testing purposes, see excerpt:

Code:

2020-12-26 02:36:32.978 T:22957  NOTICE: DVMaj: 1 DVMin: 0 DVprof: 7 DVLev: 6 RPU: 1 EL: 1 BL: 1 DVVLSCID: 6
2020-12-26 02:36:33.263 T:22957  NOTICE: output_timeout: 50000
2020-12-26 02:36:33.263 T:22957  NOTICE: input_timeout: 50000
2020-12-26 02:36:33.263 T:22957  NOTICE: dvcC stream, decoding with amc-dvhe

The first line tells you which DV profile and level the stream is, in addition to other metadata. Maybe this can help pinpoint which DV streams make the Shield hiccup.
That being said, I think I agree with @fandangos that these bugs are in the Shield firmware itself, and that the combination of decoder and timeout values doesn't matter. Especially since I've had similar problems with exoplayer based players.
(2020-12-26, 02:26)fandangos Wrote: If a good value is found for timeout and preferred renderer is set, I can change my commit to it.

Still I believe this is caused by some bugs in the shield firmware and no value or render method will solve it.

Maybe, what is needed is some kind of clear memory after the movie ends or any way to properly kill the renderer.
Or even a hdmi state or EDID recheck if possible.
Do you know what the difference is between the dvhe and dvh1 decoders? I've been trying to search, but the documentation is all very technical Smile

I think you are right about some kind of "reset" being required. I noticed that when I have troubles, sometimes it's enough to play a non-DV file and then go back to the DV file.

Other times it's enough to disable and re-enable DV in the Shield's Display settings and a full reboot is not required.
(2020-12-26, 03:45)sk83 Wrote: That being said, I think I agree with @fandangos that these bugs are in the Shield firmware itself, and that the combination of decoder and timeout values doesn't matter. Especially since I've had similar problems with exoplayer based players.

+1, I’ve had the same issues with other players too. Shield’s firmware is still a little buggy (there’s also a thread on Nvidia forums about oversaturated reds in DV).
(2020-12-26, 11:50)MrMagic Wrote:
(2020-12-26, 02:26)fandangos Wrote: If a good value is found for timeout and preferred renderer is set, I can change my commit to it.

Still I believe this is caused by some bugs in the shield firmware and no value or render method will solve it.

Maybe, what is needed is some kind of clear memory after the movie ends or any way to properly kill the renderer.
Do you know what the difference is between the dvhe and dvh1 decoders? I've been trying to search, but the documentation is all very technical Smile

I think you are right about some kind of "reset" being required. I noticed that when I have troubles, sometimes it's enough to play a non-DV file and then go back to the DV file.

Other times it's enough to disable and re-enable DV in the Shield's Display settings and a full reboot is not required.

According to Peak3D it doesn't do anything:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16929
Quote:m_formatname is only for display in Kodi codec info OSD, IMO hevc is more common then h265
(2020-12-26, 13:24)fandangos Wrote: According to Peak3D it doesn't do anything:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16929
Quote:m_formatname is only for display in Kodi codec info OSD, IMO hevc is more common then h265

I concur. As far as I can tell it's the mimetype that decides which decoder will be used. "video/dolby-vision" results in codec OMX.Nvidia.DOVI.decode being used no matter which string(including gibberish) is used for m_formatname.

@MrMagic:
Here's a Matrix build with the advancedsettings functionality:
https://ufile.io/76xbe039
Identifier "org.xbmc.kodi19dv", label/name "Kodi 19 DV"

As @fandangos stated, the m_formatname doesn't matter, but maybe some experimenting with the timeout values will help. It also logs(for matroska files) the DV profile, level and other info, which may help in pinpointing which DV streams makes the decoder go bad.
Does someone know how to play content like this in Kodi?

Media info -> https://paste.kodi.tv/irasuceyox
(2020-12-25, 13:57)MrMagic Wrote:
(2020-12-25, 11:12)hoppel118 Wrote: Are all 5 makeMKV test files working for you? What are your Shield and Kodi settings exactly?

At one point I was able to play all 5 files. All of them displayed video, although the P4 file sometimes had wrong / over-saturated colours (but not always).

But it's very erratic. The delay settings seems to have some influence. Looks like 3.5 seconds is the sweet spot where I have the most success.

At some point, all videos started to display only a black screen with sound and I had to restart the Shield to get it working again. Sometimes it just helps to switch DV off and back on again on the Shield.

• The Shield is set to...

Thank you so much for showing us your settings. No big differnce to my settings. We are at the same point. I also got all 5 files to play and trigger dv, sometimes the colors are wrong and I also saw the black screen with dv trigger and sound. I think, in my setup it makes no difference to configure 0, 1 or 3,5 seconds delay. It's always the same sporadic result. But that is a feeling.

You do not need to restart the shield, if you don't get the right colors anymore. For me its enough to change the advanced display settings (don't know the exact Englisch name) to something without dv and back to dv again. Let me know if this also works for you.

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2020-12-25, 18:27)m2k1980 Wrote: for all that having sometimes problems on the shield getting DV triggered correctly, maybe this could be helpfull. i have sometimes problems using DV on other apps, if the netflix or the disney app is started. for ex. netflix app is started but in background, because i used it some hours ago, if itry open a DV movie in disney+, dv will not triggered and the movie starts only in hdr.
so maybe you should close all apps with the nvidia taskmanager before trying or experimenting with DV on kodi.

maybe its usefull, it just only an idea to prevent issues.

I already did that in the past. This doesn't help. Sad
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2020-12-26, 02:26)fandangos Wrote: Maybe, what is needed is some kind of clear memory after the movie ends or any way to properly kill the renderer.

Yep, I think this could solve our problems. But who can give us this code? Smile

(2020-12-26, 14:14)sk83 Wrote: Here's a Matrix build with the advancedsettings functionality:
https://ufile.io/76xbe039
Identifier "org.xbmc.kodi19dv", label/name "Kodi 19 DV"

As @fandangos stated, the m_formatname doesn't matter, but maybe some experimenting with the timeout values will help. It also logs(for matroska files) the DV profile, level and other info, which may help in pinpointing which DV streams makes the decoder go bad.

My next step is to check your both (Leia/Matrix) new advancedsettings builds. But it needs time, it's christmas at the moment. Wink

Regards Hoppel

(2020-12-26, 18:38)hoppel118 Wrote:
(2020-12-25, 13:57)MrMagic Wrote: At some point, all videos started to display only a black screen with sound and I had to restart the Shield to get it working again. Sometimes it just helps to switch DV off and back on again on the Shield.
You do not need to restart the shield, if you don't get the right colors anymore. For me its enough to change the advanced display settings (don't know the exact Englisch name) to something without dv and back to dv again. Let me know if this also works for you.
Yes this works for me, as I already wrote in my message above Wink

@sk83 I tried your Matrix build with advanced settings. I didn't play around with the timings yet, but I think the behavior is about the same for all builds: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

To fix it, it helps to turn off Dolby Vision and then back on again in the Shield's display settings. I suppose this triggers some kind of reset of the video engine. Like @hoppel118 said, maybe there is a way to execute that reset in software somehow?
(2020-12-26, 18:44)hoppel118 Wrote:
(2020-12-26, 02:26)fandangos Wrote: Maybe, what is needed is some kind of clear memory after the movie ends or any way to properly kill the renderer.

Yep, I think this could solve our problems. But who can give us this code? Smile

That's a big mistery.
(2020-12-26, 19:07)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-12-26, 18:44)hoppel118 Wrote:

That's a big mistery.

Not really. File a bug at nvidia, that they should properly clear all information when HW Decoder + Render (Mediacodec Surface) is closed.
Nothing in computers is mystery. There is just "blackboxes" where you can pray that the vendor starts caring ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-12-26, 19:25)fritsch Wrote:
(2020-12-26, 19:07)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-12-26, 18:44)hoppel118 Wrote: Yep, I think this could solve our problems. But who can give us this code? Smile

That's a big mistery.

Not really. File a bug at nvidia, that they should properly clear all information when HW Decoder + Render (Mediacodec Surface) is closed.
Nothing in computers is mystery. There is just "blackboxes" where you can pray that the vendor starts caring ...

It was a joke Tongue
Yeah - I wish I could tell the same about my statement Tongue
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0