• 16(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
This may be completly irrelevant and I'm trying a few things at the moment that have nothing to do with dolby vision.

But, in the developer options on the shield, there's a reset hdmi link if errors are found. 
Does that option turned on, makes any difference to you?
Ok, will check that later.
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
For me it didn’t make a significant difference.
Well, worth a try.
I'm having more success with DV profile 8 files so far. It seems the Shield often chokes on profile 7 streams, which is understandable since it doesn't support profile 7.

When playing DV7 with a player that makes the profile known to the decoder(Emby, exoplayer, etc), it states that profile 128(ie. profile 7) isn't supported - maybe it then falls back to decoding the stream as HEVC? As the logs state, when using Kodi, the decoder isn't aware of the DV profile, so it is possible that it then tries to decode it as Dolby Vision and fails. Just a thought.

@hoppel118 : Does this seem possible according to your testing?
(2020-12-29, 18:31)hoppel118 Wrote: I ran various tests and found out which DV profiles work in specific constellations and how to reproduce errors like black screen and wrong colors. It’s not complete, but it’s a good starting point.
Could you, if you haven't, try playing different profile 8 and 5 files, without playing any profile 7s? Maybe trying to decode DV7 streams is what makes the decoder unstable.

For now, I'm setting the mime type for DV7 files to "video/hevc" to make them decode as HEVC. And converting my DV7 files to DV8 to test more.
(2020-12-29, 23:18)sk83 Wrote: I'm having more success with DV profile 8 files so far. It seems the Shield often chokes on profile 7 streams, which is understandable since it doesn't support profile 7.

Yes, it’s one of my findings. P81 is absolutely stable.

At the moment P81 only works with mkv, not with mp4. Another finding...

(2020-12-29, 23:18)sk83 Wrote: When playing DV7 with a player that makes the profile known to the decoder(Emby, exoplayer, etc), it states that profile 128(ie. profile 7) isn't supported - maybe it then falls back to decoding the stream as HEVC? As the logs state, when using Kodi, the decoder isn't aware of the DV profile, so it is possible that it then tries to decode it as Dolby Vision and fails. Just a thought.

@hoppel118 : Does this seem possible according to your testing?

Absolutely. sounds reasonable. But until now, I did not check any logfiles. I only tried to find a reproducibility.

(2020-12-29, 23:18)sk83 Wrote: Could you, if you haven't, try playing different profile 8 and 5 files, without playing any profile 7s? Maybe trying to decode DV7 streams is what makes the decoder unstable.

I tried different scenarios. Every profile on its own and in combination with the other profiles. It was possible to reproduce the black screen and the color shifts.

I made all my tests with your latest Kodi 19 Build.

Where shall I open the issue/s?

(2020-12-29, 23:18)sk83 Wrote: For now, I'm setting the mime type for DV7 files to "video/hevc" to make them decode as HEVC. And converting my DV7 files to DV8 to test more.

If I am right profile 8.1 doesn’t support HD-Audio, because it’s mainly for streaming normally. So I hope that your DV7>DV8 conversion is for testing purposes only. Wink

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Do I document issues here, even though we use modified Kodi forks?

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc

Regards Hoppel

(2020-12-30, 00:11)hoppel118 Wrote: Absolutely. sounds reasonable. But until now, I did not check any logfiles. I only tried to find a reproducibility.
OK, thanks. On my setup, the decoder always throws an error when playing back DV 7 files from Emby.
Code:
12-28 01:12:24.797 21286 21351 D NvOsDebugPrintf: Dolby Profile is 80 and Level is 0
12-28 01:12:24.797 21286 21351 D NvOsDebugPrintf: Profile 128 not supported
Profile 128 corresponds to DV7 (1<<7 = 128).
AFAIK, Shield only supports single layer DV profiles, that is profile 5  and 8. So it seems like getting it to play DV 7 at the moment is moot.
WRT to Kodi, it has to implement the missing functionality to either propagate the profile and level info to the decoder, or, if that is the case, work on the demuxer to make sure it isn't leaving anything out.
(2020-12-30, 00:11)hoppel118 Wrote: Where shall I open the issue/s?

Maybe github? I don't have a repo.
(2020-12-29, 23:18)sk83 Wrote: If I am right profile 8.1 doesn’t support HD-Audio, because it’s mainly for streaming normally.

I believe this depends on the container. Seems to be working fine with MKV.
@hoppel118 Maybe you can post logs on the PR for Dolby Vision? https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18965
Would make sense if the issues are MKV specific.

Someone from the team could tell you but I'm not sure if new issues should be opened for in-testing changes.
(2020-12-30, 01:24)quietvoid Wrote: @hoppel118 Maybe you can post logs on the PR for Dolby Vision? https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18965
Would make sense if the issues are MKV specific.

Someone from the team could tell you but I'm not sure if new issues should be opened for in-testing changes.

Exactly.
I think chatting can be done here.
Valid information can be added to the PR.

And I can update the PR with relevant new code if something new is set.
Ok, thanks. One last question:

(2020-12-29, 18:31)hoppel118 Wrote: I want to reproduce the errors to produce the relevant logfiles. How shall I configure the debug log? What do we need?

• verbose logging for the FFmpeg libraries
• verbose logging for the Audio component
• verbose logging for the Video component
• verbose logging for the audio/video timing information

Anything else?

This is some work! Let’s see when I find the time.

One very last question: Is it possible for you to add P8.1 support for mp4 Container?

Testfiles can be found here:

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/...n-streams/

All the mp4 files I have are P5. This profile works perfectly with latest matrix. I know it has nothing to do with mkv, but let’s look at the complete dv thing. Maybe we lern something, we/you Wink can use for the mkv implementation.

Regards Hoppel

Little addition to my last post:

The P81 files are triggering dv with the modified exoplayer, your testbilds are triggering hdr. P81 file works perfectly in a mkv container.

(2020-12-29, 20:44)fandangos Wrote: But, in the developer options on the shield, there's a reset hdmi link if errors are found. 
Does that option turned on, makes any difference to you?

I tested it, too. The issues were still reproducable with that setting active. Makes no difference if this setting is active or not. I rebooted the shield after activating and before testing.

(2020-12-30, 00:55)sk83 Wrote: AFAIK, Shield only supports single layer DV profiles, that is profile 5  and 8. So it seems like getting it to play DV 7 at the moment is moot.
With Fandangos build from couple of days ago (kodiapp-arm64-v8a-debug-dhv1-v2.apk) on Shield, every P7 MKV I have thrown at it (makemkv samples as well as the ones I ripped with makemkv 1.15.4), worked (triggered DV logo on E6). However, the P81 sample only triggered HDR10 and not DV. Looks like different people experiencing different results.
LG E6 · Denon X4100w · XOLORspace 23421 · ATV 4K · 2019 Shield Pro
Chromecast w/ GTV · FTV 4K Stick · HTPC Ryzen 3600 · 1050 TI
(2020-12-30, 03:10)rexian Wrote: With Fandangos build from couple of days ago (kodiapp-arm64-v8a-debug-dhv1-v2.apk) on Shield, every P7 MKV I have thrown at it (makemkv samples as well as the ones I ripped with makemkv 1.15.4), worked (triggered DV logo on E6).

Yes, it’s the same for me. I never said that it doesn’t work. Every file I have triggers DV logo on my LG C9.

1. You didn’t have any starting problems with P7 FEL or P7 MEL files?

Please describe your Android and your Kodi configuration.

(2020-12-30, 03:10)rexian Wrote: However, the P81 sample only triggered HDR10 and not DV. Looks like different people experiencing different results.

2. Which file did you try, the mkv or the mp4 or both?
3. Is the E6 capable of displaying P81 content? (I don’t know if there is such a limitation for „older“ TVs.)
4. Did you try it also with your TV’s internal player or with the modified Exoplayer from Kodi?

Here you find a howto for the modified Exoplayer: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2975374

Regards Hoppel

• 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0