• 18(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
(2020-12-30, 18:06)MrMagic Wrote:
(2020-12-30, 17:37)Epedemic Wrote: I believe DV is working. I also have an E6, hooked up through an Onkyo RZ820, and ALL P7 mkvs work with the first matrix builds from here. I am also positive that DV works, as i see differences (especially noticable with SPR, which is "buggy" on the shield in DV, no matter which player (exoplayer+plex+kodi), with some annyoing "flashing" in scenes with a lot of white, very easy to spot in the first few minutes with the flags against the sky.

I had to Google it, but I assume with "SPR" you mean Saving Private Ryan? Smile

Yes. Sorry, force of habit after discussing it a lot elsewhere Big Grin
Reading your replies.

I've done some more testing, and I have to take back my assumption that the shield doesn't support profile 7 and produces "fake" Dolby Vision.
According to the logs it doesn't support it, but it seems no matter which profile the stream is, the DV metadata is being used.

@quietvoid : That means your point regarding strict HDR10 fallback and devices not reporting all their capabilities is valid.
I also agree that the focus should be on profile 7(if it matters) since this applies to most content.

Sorry for creating confusion.

BTW - I tested this by combining a base layer from one clip with an enhancement layer from another. It's then really noticable when the DV metadata is being processedWink. When using VLC which doesn't support DV, the combined clip plays back as normal HDR and looks correct.
Hi,

i am following this thread (coming from the German Kodinerds Forum) and have started to test different files. 

I have a shield 2019pro and an Oppo 203 with an LG C8 OLED. Now i have checked some discs in the Oppo, playing DV without problems. Second test is to get an iso file from the disc via CloneBD. For the next test i ripped them with latest makemkv (and finally MKVToolnix) and tested in the Shield. I get the same results as mentioned here in the thread. Most of the mkv files are played with the DV logo without problems, sometimes, i have to restart them. The Oppo plays them all as normal HDR files. I think, there must be a new fw if the Oppo should be able to play mkv with DV.

The iso files are played in the Oppo as the discs with DV and without any problems. The shield plays them via Kodi Matrix as HDR files, no DV.

Finally i do not see a big difference between the disc via Oppo and the mkv via Kodi.
(2020-12-30, 19:09)sk83 Wrote: BTW - I tested this by combining a base layer from one clip with an enhancement layer from another. It's then really noticable when the DV metadata is being processedWink. When using VLC which doesn't support DV, the combined clip plays back as normal HDR and looks correct.

Smart move Smile At least now we know that the metadata is actually being sent to the decoder.

I do have the Spears & Munsil UHD test disc, but unfortunately Kodi only plays the DV demos as HDR. Would it be possible to incorporate DV support for the blu-ray disc format (or rather .m2ts files) as well?

Never mind, that disc was not ripped properly and doesn't contain the DV information.
(2020-12-30, 10:51)hoppel118 Wrote: Yes, it’s the same for me. I never said that it doesn’t work. Every file I have triggers DV logo on my LG C9.

1. You didn’t have any starting problems with P7 FEL or P7 MEL files?

Please describe your Android and your Kodi configuration.
No starting problem playing P7 MEL or FEL files. The videos I ripped using makemkv 1.15.4 look identical to FEL and they play without a hitch - in both Kodi and Plex. In Kodi the P8 sample didn't play and I realized it was a 60Hz sample and 2016 OLED doesn't support it. Once I changed the setting for Kodi Player > Adjust display refresh rate from "On start/stop" to "Off", Kodi started playing in DV as well. The sound stopped 45 seconds into the video but that's probably because of the refresh rate mismatch. Shield Pro was set to 4K/23Hz/DV & HDR Ready.
(2020-12-30, 10:51)hoppel118 Wrote: 2. Which file did you try, the mkv or the mp4 or both?
Tried them all and MKVs always played well and now after turning off the auto refresh rate setting in Kodi, MP4s are playing too - just a bit of audio problem in the P81 sample after a while.
(2020-12-30, 10:51)hoppel118 Wrote: 3. Is the E6 capable of displaying P81 content? (I don’t know if there is such a limitation for „older“ TVs.)
4. Did you try it also with your TV’s internal player or with the modified Exoplayer from Kodi?
It appears E6 can handle P8, judging by this sample now that it plays (albeit with audio issues).
(2020-12-30, 10:51)hoppel118 Wrote: Here you find a howto for the modified Exoplayer: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2975374
Thank Hoppel!
LG E6 · Denon X4100w · XOLORspace 23421 · ATV 4K · 2019 Shield Pro
Chromecast w/ GTV · FTV 4K Stick · HTPC Ryzen 3600 · 1050 TI
Aren't P8 always 60fps? Which the E6 definitely can't handle over HDMI? Or am i missing something here?
(2020-12-31, 04:21)Epedemic Wrote: Aren't P8 always 60fps? Which the E6 definitely can't handle over HDMI? Or am i missing something here?
Given that P8 is built for streaming, it's possible most of the available samples are 60fps but nowhere I could find 24fps wasn't allowed for P8. Found some good info here.
LG E6 · Denon X4100w · XOLORspace 23421 · ATV 4K · 2019 Shield Pro
Chromecast w/ GTV · FTV 4K Stick · HTPC Ryzen 3600 · 1050 TI
(2020-12-31, 04:21)Epedemic Wrote: Aren't P8 always 60fps? Which the E6 definitely can't handle over HDMI? Or am i missing something here?

Profile 8 has a maximum level 9, which corresponds to 4k@60hz.  It also supports lower levels, f.ex. level 6 which is 4k@24 hz.

This document from Dolby has some good info regarding profiles and levels.
(2020-12-30, 17:37)Epedemic Wrote: I believe DV is working. I also have an E6, hooked up through an Onkyo RZ820, and ALL P7 mkvs work with the first matrix builds from here. I am also positive that DV works, as i see differences (especially noticable with SPR, which is "buggy" on the shield in DV, no matter which player (exoplayer+plex+kodi), with some annyoing "flashing" in scenes with a lot of white, very easy to spot in the first few minutes with the flags against the sky.
I can confirm that with the DV MKV rip of Saving Private Ryan, there is flashing like you said. And when I play the same file with the regular Kodi Matrix without DV support, it plays in HDR mode and the flashing is not there.

For those who want to test: like @Epedemic said the flashes are clearly visible at the start of the movie around the 2:00 to 2:20 mark with the flags against the sky.
I have an HDFury Diva, a Sony X930E TV and NVidia Shield 2019 running Kodi Build 19.0-BETA2 (18.9.821)
The Sony only supports LLDV.

I did some testing today. From what the Diva tells me, there is no DV Metadata sent by either Kodi or Plex when I played the Dolby Demo mp4 files (Profile 5 and 8).
Interesting in that Kodi did send HDR Metadata for the Profile 8 file. Plex did not.

Here are some info from the Diva's GUI:

Profile 5 Metadata string:

81:01:1B:4A:46Big Grin0:00:03 then 13 more 00 fields

Profile 8 Metadata string:

81:01:1B:4D:46Big Grin0:00:00: then 13 more 00 fields

Happy to test other Kodi betas and/or DV testfiles
(2020-12-31, 19:16)JGrana01 Wrote: 81:01:1B:4A:46Big Grin0:00:03 then 13 more 00 fields

81:01:1B:4D:46Big Grin0:00:00: then 13 more 00 fields
This smiley faces are "0" "D"...
(2020-12-31, 19:17)JGrana01 Wrote:
(2020-12-31, 19:16)JGrana01 Wrote: 81:01:1B:4A:46:D0:00:03 then 13 more 00 fields

81:01:1B:4D:46:D0:00:00: then 13 more 00 fields
This smiley faces are "0" "D"...

You can disable smilies in the post options.
(2020-12-31, 19:16)JGrana01 Wrote: Happy to test other Kodi betas and/or DV testfiles

Could you test with one of the Kodi builds from this thread that have been especially created to play Dolby Vision MKVs:

https://ufile.io/76xbe039
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk

The first one can be installed separately, the second one will overwrite your current Kodi version.

MKV test files with various profiles are here:

https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/

Note that the files will not always play correctly and seem to hang Kodi. In that case you can get them to work by disabling and enabling Dolby Vision in the Shield's Display Settings.
Does LLDV (player led DV) sends dynamic metadata if tonemapping happens in the player?

How does it show up in the HD Fury when you play DV content from netflix?

I honestly don't know and I'm very curious to find out.
The HDFury is too expensive but I wish I had one.
(2020-12-31, 22:05)fandangos Wrote: Does LLDV (player led DV) sends dynamic metadata if tonemapping happens in the player?

How does it show up in the HD Fury when you play DV content from netflix?

I honestly don't know and I'm very curious to find out.
The HDFury is too expensive but I wish I had one.
Now that you mention it, Netflix playing DV doesn't send DV Metadata either. I tried on both the Shield and an AppleTV 4K.
It does make sense that player led has no need to "clue" the device since it is already doing the processing...
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0