• 19(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
(2020-12-31, 19:45)MrMagic Wrote:
(2020-12-31, 19:16)JGrana01 Wrote: Happy to test other Kodi betas and/or DV testfiles

Could you test with one of the Kodi builds from this thread that have been especially created to play Dolby Vision MKVs:

https://ufile.io/76xbe039
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk

The first one can be installed separately, the second one will overwrite your current Kodi version.

MKV test files with various profiles are here:

https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/

Note that the files will not always play correctly and seem to hang Kodi. In that case you can get them to work by disabling and enabling Dolby Vision in the Shield's Display Settings.
Im downloading the first build and the demo files now. I will try them all out tomorrow.
BTW, is there an easy way to post .jpg or .png files? I can take screen shots and post the results of the above.
(2020-12-31, 19:16)JGrana01 Wrote: I have an HDFury Diva, a Sony X930E TV and NVidia Shield 2019 running Kodi Build 19.0-BETA2 (18.9.821)
The Sony only supports LLDV.

I did some testing today. From what the Diva tells me, there is no DV Metadata sent by either Kodi or Plex when I played the Dolby Demo mp4 files (Profile 5 and 8).
Interesting in that Kodi did send HDR Metadata for the Profile 8 file. Plex did not.

Here are some info from the Diva's GUI:

Profile 5 Metadata string:

81:01:1B:4A:46Big Grin0:00:03 then 13 more 00 fields

Profile 8 Metadata string:

81:01:1B:4D:46Big Grin0:00:00: then 13 more 00 fields

Happy to test other Kodi betas and/or DV testfiles
Thank you! Since Sony doesn't support conventional DV and Shield is doing the DV processing, is Sony supposed to receive the DV metadata? Does the TV recognize the video as DV material?
LG E6 · Denon X4100w · XOLORspace 23421 · ATV 4K · 2019 Shield Pro
Chromecast w/ GTV · FTV 4K Stick · HTPC Ryzen 3600 · 1050 TI
Hi all.
I'm new here and got here by searching if Kodi can play DV content.
I'd like to help with testing.

I have an LG OLED CX and I use Nvidia Shield Pro connected to my Samsung Q90R soundbar.
I use Kodi Leia and I have plenty for Dolby Vision test files.

Can you please let me know how can I help with testing that? I'd like to do it without overwriting my current Kodi setup, if possible.
Thanks!
(2020-12-31, 23:57)JGrana01 Wrote:
(2020-12-31, 19:45)MrMagic Wrote:
(2020-12-31, 19:16)JGrana01 Wrote: Happy to test other Kodi betas and/or DV testfiles

Could you test with one of the Kodi builds from this thread that have been especially created to play Dolby Vision MKVs:

https://ufile.io/76xbe039
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk

The first one can be installed separately, the second one will overwrite your current Kodi version.

MKV test files with various profiles are here:

https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/

Note that the files will not always play correctly and seem to hang Kodi. In that case you can get them to work by disabling and enabling Dolby Vision in the Shield's Display Settings.

Ok, I have done some testing. Since my Sony only supports LLDV, by now we know there is no DV Metadate passed from the Shield to the display during playback...
But, I was able to test the collection of files and have some observations:

I installed the first build (https://ufile.io/76xbe039) and also downloaded the 5 .mkf files.
Also, Kodi is setup with       Settings->System->Display  Resolution 3840x2160p, Refresh Rate 59.94, Delay after change of refresh rate 1 second, all but the 50hz rates/resolutions Whitelisted.
Settings->Player->Videos    Adjust display refresh rate - on start/stop, Sync playback to display disabled.
Video files are stored on a NAS box, using nfs mounts.

After starting Kodi, the Diva shows:
4K59.930 422 BT709 12b 593MHz 2.2

First, with one exception, all but one of the videos had trouble displaying depending on a variety of things. From cold start (turn of system, turn back on, reboot Shield) usually P4_LG_Dolby_Trailer_4K_Demo  and P5_Dolby_Amaze had the most problems. Sometimes they would display fine, sometimes they would display but colors way off, sometimes they would hang and cause Kodi to crash. Actually, P5_Dolby_Amaze almost never played (and crashed) if that was the first video I attempted to play after startup.

When they did play, even when colors (I assume color space confusion), Diva reports
P4_LG_Dolby_Trailer_4K_Demo - 4K23.972 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 297MHz 2.2
P5_Dolby_Amaze - 4K60 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 594MHz 2.2

Looks pretty normal/expected.

P5_Dolby_Amaze had the most problems - it would often hang at the 12 second mark - then shortly after, crash Kodi.

The P7 files seemed to play better.
P7_FEL_GIJoe_The_Rise_of_Cobra - 4K23.972 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 297MHz 2.2
P7_MEL_GIJoe_The_Rise_of_Cobra - 4K23.972 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 297MHz 2.2

Finally, P81_GlassBlowing2_3840x2160@59_94fps_15200kbps. The shining star.
P81_GlassBlowing2_3840x2160@59_94fps_15200kbps - 4K59.930 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 593MHz 2.2

I discovered that if after starting Kodi, I played P81 first, the rest had a very high success rate of playing afterwards.
If, in the other hand, I played P4, P5 or P7, I had a 50/50 chance of the video starting.

Observations:
1) I did stop/resume on all the videos. P81 always was able to resume fine. The others, sometimes yes, sometimes crash.
2) During testing, at some point, the colors would go way off. Lots of magenta and blown out whites, etc. This typically would occur in stopping a video then resuming. I did not try to extend my refresh rate change time to more than 1 second.
3) At times, stopping a video then attempting to resume resulted in losing nfs connectivity to the NAS box. Especially with P5_Dolby_Amaze. A restart of Kodi was required to get it back.
4) When the colors did go way off, Diva continued to report BT2020 being sent. Once the colors go off, all DV is off. Even after quitting Kodi. Even Netflix. Even HDR10 files play with off colors.
As you said, toggling DV off and on in the Shield settings likely does an HDMI Hot Plug event - so the TV is the on confused. Post hot plug, everyone is back on the same color space page ;-) Diva allows me to send a Hot Plug Event - this also go colors back.

My $0.02
Let me know if you have any questions.
(2021-01-01, 21:21)JGrana01 Wrote: Also, Kodi is setup with       Settings->System->Display Resolution 3840x2160p, Refresh Rate 59.94, Delay after change of refresh rate 1 second, all but the 50hz rates/resolutions Whitelisted.
Settings->Player->Videos    Adjust display refresh rate - on start/stop, Sync playback to display disabled.
P5_Dolby_Amaze - 4K60 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 594MHz 2.2

Looks pretty normal/expected.

P5_Dolby_Amaze had the most problems - it would often hang at the 12 second mark - then shortly after, crash Kodi.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Does your Sony support DV@ both 59.97Hz and 60Hz? Wonder if P5 causing issues for you since it has different refresh rate than what TV supports. My E6 supports neither, only 23.976/24/30Hz so I am forced to play all of them 59/60Hz content at lower refresh rate.

In my current setup all these samples play well in DV with frequent start/pause/stops . BTW, I am using the build from 12/22.

P4 / P7 (23.976Hz)
P5 (60Hz)
P81 (59.94Hz)
dolby-vision-nasa-(dolby-vision)-(www.demolandia.net) (59.94Hz)
dolby-vision-art-of-essence-(www.demolandia.net) (59.94Hz)

Can you try with these settings and see if the P5 sample plays better? I used these for 59/60Hz samples to keep them smooth in DV. For movie content, which is what I watch most of the time on Kodi/Plex, I set the Display at 23.976Hz in System > Display.
(2021-01-01, 23:38)rexian Wrote:
(2021-01-01, 21:21)JGrana01 Wrote:  
Does your Sony support DV@ both 59.97Hz and 60Hz? Wonder if P5 causing issues for you since it has different refresh rate than what TV supports. My E6 supports neither, only 23.976/24/30Hz so I am forced to play all of them 59/60Hz content at lower refresh rate.

In my current setup all these samples play well in DV with frequent start/pause/stops . BTW, I am using the build from 12/22.

P4 / P7 (23.976Hz)
P5 (60Hz)
P81 (59.94Hz)
dolby-vision-nasa-(dolby-vision)-(www.demolandia.net) (59.94Hz)
dolby-vision-art-of-essence-(www.demolandia.net) (59.94Hz)

Can you try with these settings and see if the P5 sample plays better? I used these for 59/60Hz samples to keep them smooth in DV. For movie content, which is what I watch most of the time on Kodi/Plex, I set the Display at 23.976Hz in System > Display.
The 930e does support 60hz DV (and 59.97).

I changed my settings as you asked. The .mkv's played much more behaved! I first changed the Shield settings as you showed. I then changed the Shield to 4K 30hz HDR and DV. Then did a Shield restart.

I did NOT play the P8 file first - it always seems to let the others plan reasonably well. I instead started the P5 file - which had caused the most problems. It started right up and ran fine. I even did a few stop/restarts. The P4 file still caused a crash after playing the P5 file. I ran the other test files then ran P4 again - it's running fine. I also tested a lot of the .mp4 DV files I have - they all played well.

I might be off, but I feel there is something the P8 file does during initialization that helps the rest.

For example, 1 out of 3 times, the P4 file would start to play, spin the wheel then just sit there. When I hit stop, Kodi crashes.

If I run P8 first, the P4 file seems to run every time.

Just an FYI...
BTW, the refresh rates shown from Diva are the actual measured frequencies, not what a setting is set to.
Also, the next time I do some testing, I will enable logging - hopefully get a crash log for you guys.
(2021-01-02, 00:25)JGrana01 Wrote: The 930e does support 60hz DV (and 59.97).
Ok, in that case refresh rate mismatch is not the reason.
(2021-01-02, 00:25)JGrana01 Wrote: I changed my settings as you asked. The .mkv's played much more behaved! I first changed the Shield settings as you showed. I then changed the Shield to 4K 30hz HDR and DV. Then did a Shield restart.

I did NOT play the P8 file first - it always seems to let the others plan reasonably well. I instead started the P5 file - which had caused the most problems. It started right up and ran fine. I even did a few stop/restarts.
Great! Sounds like Kodi (or could it be Android TV API?) has some issues with changing the refresh rate matching the content.
(2021-01-02, 00:25)JGrana01 Wrote: The P4 file still caused a crash after playing the P5 file. I ran the other test files then ran P4 again - it's running fine. I also tested a lot of the .mp4 DV files I have - they all played well.

I might be off, but I feel there is something the P8 file does during initialization that helps the rest.

For example, 1 out of 3 times, the P4 file would start to play, spin the wheel then just sit there. When I hit stop, Kodi crashes.

If I run P8 first, the P4 file seems to run every time.

Just an FYI...
I can't find any explanation for how P81 (59.94Hz) could help with P4 (23.976Hz) but that's been a consistent experience for you. Now considering P4 and P7 are 23.976Hz, can you try with Kodi > Settings > Display > Refresh rate = 23.98? Adjust display refresh rate should still be "off" and see how it goes for P4 and P7. P5 and P81 might have some issues with this setting.
Hi, I generated debug logs for the following issues and described how to reproduce them:

• black screen (not reproducable, but have a log file)
• wrong colors
• Kodi UI stalls
• faulty starts

Will post the result tomorrow. (No, it’s today. Wink ).

One question. My debug logfiles are about 5 to 10MB. It‘s too big for pastebin, ubuntu paste always gives me an error and Kodi paste is not persistant (30 days only, if they didn’t change it in last time). Where can I paste the log files, any idea?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
@JGrana01 Really good findings. Similar to mine, but not completely the same.

We need to make the findings reproducable and document them consolidated. It gets harder to follow the more testers with different issues in different hardware setups and different Kodi configurations we are. Wink

(2021-01-02, 03:34)rexian Wrote: I can't find any explanation for how P81 (59.94Hz) could help with P4 (23.976Hz) but that's been a consistent experience for you.

The P81 file helps to „repair“ not only not starting P4 files, also P7FEL and P7MEL.

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Why not posting it on the nvidia forums? Most of the effects you see, especially the "randomly appearing" happen with a shield where power cycle also plays an important role?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yes, you are right. We should discuss it also there.

But at least the random „faulty P7 starts“ are a Kodi specific issue. This is the only problem for P7FEL and P7MEL files, if you don’t play files with other profiles. This doesn’t happen with Emby for AndroidTV.

So, what could Nvidia do, if it happens with Kodi only?

I didn’t test other profiles than P7 with Emby for AndroidTV so far.

Regards Hoppel

Let them fix their stuff and then we can see which bugs remain. Working on a broken firmware with random effects will produce random effects. If "that one sample is played" when the box is in a bad-firmware-state already, it will break.  If for example startup of kodi (OpenGLES gui, etc.) brings the box in this state already (as display is reinited), you won't find the issue in kodi.

Therefore: Fix what you know as a firmware bug first and then concentrate on workarounds, else you might just fish for big macs ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2021-01-02, 03:34)rexian Wrote: I can't find any explanation for how P81 (59.94Hz) could help with P4 (23.976Hz) but that's been a consistent experience for you. Now considering P4 and P7 are 23.976Hz, can you try with Kodi > Settings > Display > Refresh rate = 23.98? Adjust display refresh rate should still be "off" and see how it goes for P4 and P7. P5 and P81 might have some issues with this setting.
Hi. I did the testing as you described.

First thing this morning I started the Shield (was in sleep). I started Kodi, changed the Refresh rate to 23.98. I did NOT restart Kodi - the TV did it's blank, refresh rate change and asked if it was Ok, I said yes.

I immediately tried to play P4. I got the spinning circle and when I hit Stop, Kodi crashed.

I then restarted Kodi and tried P4 again. Worked fine. I then also played all the others - all worked.
I quit Kodi and tried again. All worked fine. Did this a second time. Again, all worked fine.
I put the Shield to sleep. Waited around 15 mins, started it and Kodi up again. All worked fine.

Not sure, but I wonder if starting Kodi at 30hz refresh, then changing to 23.98 (and not restarting Kodi) was a contributing factor.

I am going to put Kodi back to 30 hz, put the Shield to sleep for a few hours and see if it repeats the crash.

I then quit Kodi and put the Shield to sleep.
(2021-01-02, 03:34)rexian Wrote: I can't find any explanation for how P81 (59.94Hz) could help with P4 (23.976Hz) but that's been a consistent experience for you. Now considering P4 and P7 are 23.976Hz, can you try with Kodi > Settings > Display > Refresh rate = 23.98? Adjust display refresh rate should still be "off" and see how it goes for P4 and P7. P5 and P81 might have some issues with this setting.

Hi. I did the testing as you described.

First thing this morning I started the Shield (was in sleep). I started Kodi, changed the Refresh rate to 23.98. I did NOT restart Kodi - the TV did it's blank, refresh rate change and asked if it was Ok, I said yes.

I immediately tried to play P4. I got the spinning circle and when I hit Stop, Kodi crashed.

I then restarted Kodi and tried P4 again. Worked fine. I then also played all the others - all worked.
I quit Kodi and tried again. All worked fine. Did this a second time. Again, all worked fine.
I put the Shield to sleep. Waited around 15 mins, started it and Kodi up again. All worked fine.

Not sure, but I wonder if starting Kodi at 30hz refresh, then changing to 23.98 (and not restarting Kodi) was a contributing factor.

I am going to put Kodi back to 30 hz, put the Shield to sleep for a few hours and see if it repeats the crash.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0