Broken Kodi crash on the SHIELD confirmed as Kodi's error by NVIDIA devs
I've started this thread a while back and got a response from the NVIDIA devs that there are currently two problems with Kodi
that causes these crashes. One being Channel update, the other being Twilight mode. I've shared with them the Kodi debug log that revealed nothing (in the thread linked above) 
The channel and twilght crashes were raveled in a logcat.

From the little info I got from that logcat in the thread:
Quote:I see the crash. It is kodi trying to update media state after something has caused playback to stop already. I'm not clear on the cause, though approx 1s earlier I'm seeing:

07-07 19:53:49.845 3702 3702 I configuration_changed: 512
07-07 19:53:49.844 3702 3702 D TwilightService: onAlarm
07-07 19:53:49.845 3702 3702 I ActivityManager: Config changes=200 {1.0 ?mcc?mnc [iw_IL] ldrtl sw540dp w960dp h540dp 320dpi lrg long land television night -touch -keyb/v/h dpad/v appBounds=Rect(0, 0 - 1920, 9310) s.28}
07-07 19:53:49.980 3702 3702 I ActivityManager: Override config changes=200 {1.0 ?mcc?mnc [iw_IL] ldrtl sw540dp w960dp h540dp 320dpi lrg long land television night -touch -keyb/v/h dpad/v appBounds=Rect(0, 0 - 1920, 9310) s.28} for displayId=0

So this looks like MAYBE due to a 'night mode' switch on the system, kodi is crashing out. MAYBE. possibly. I didn't know night mode triggered on ATV devices, or that it caused a configuration change. So this is just a working theory right now. I'll try to reach out to Kodi devs. There is another crash report I've seen that looks like it has to do with how they update their Channel on the homescreen, and exhaust resources of some form. That I'll also follow up with them on.
Can anyone address this?
(2019-11-16, 15:27)Shasoosh Wrote: Can anyone address this?

We very much prefer the complete & uncut debug log (wiki) and not just a couple of lines, as trouble can start at any moment.
@Shasoosh  Did you read their "MAYBE" in the message two times? and "working theory"? Seems your are more convinced than the nvidia people, so I assume you did additional research and verified the theory, right? Could you send us a fix then or add your additional information?

@peak3d  Could you take a look?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@Klojum 
I've posted the Log on the NVIDIA thread and on this Kodi thread but unfortunately the paste gets deleted after a time period. I can reproduce the issue, as mentioned in the nvidia thread, the crash usually happens after excacly 10 minutes or 30 minutes mark. As a developer, that number feels too round to be something unexpected.

@fritsch I'm not convinced in anything, just trying to get this resolved. The paste in my first comment was one of their first comments. If you'll read through you'll see:
Quote:We're working with Kodi team on both variants of crash above (one being Channel update, the other being Twilight mode). The latter I'm trying to see if we can work around in the next OS update, since it has potential to affect pretty much any application. The former we need Kodi to research, debug, fix.

And their latest reply:
Quote:Kodi can certainly address both issues internally. I think we worked on a solution for the twilightmode thing, possible it landed in 8.0.1. Any channel related crashes kodi needs to fix internally.
As yo can see, their certainty level gone up and I'm still having the exact same problems.
Okay - The code is here, everything is opensource: http://github.com/xbmc - if you need any more pointers to get this resolve, just ask.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-11-16, 17:43)fritsch Wrote: Okay - The code is here, everything is opensource: http://github.com/xbmc - if you need any more pointers to get this resolve, just ask.

Thanks for the reference, unfortunately I've never written code in C++.

It seems like you're very upset by this thread - Sorry about that.
NVIDIA devs wrote that they were working with the Kodi team on these issues so I thought I'll post it here.
If nvidia is working with one of my team mates, then everything is fine, isn't it?  Let's see about the outcome. Not sure what you want to do with this thread, if you have known all that in advance ...
Well, they said they were working with the Kodi team 3 month ago. Latest reply from them from 4 days ago said "Kodi can certainly address both issues internally."
As you can see, these are pretty vague. 

NVIDIA stated two problems, one being Channel update, the other being Twilight mode - both causes crashes. I was hoping that the Kodi team are working on these issues or at least aware of them.
If that's not the case, I can supply a debug log or a logcat to help debug this.
Provide everything you have. If one of the 1.5 Android devs find time, all information is present.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crash on the SHIELD confirmed as Kodi's error by NVIDIA devs0