• 80(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
(2020-10-31, 12:21)hapanpappa Wrote: Cheers, will try. I wonder if having Kodi v18 as well is gonna mess with the installation, settings or some other such compatibility hijinks?

Use portable mode so as not to interfere with your current install.  https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...table_Mode
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Once installed can not back to v18: make a backup of user data/settings first "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Kodi" entire Kodi folder to .RAR is OK.
Thanks a lot, installation seems a-okay and both versions still work nicely. Any recommendations as to which settings to play around with, did some initial tests with HDR movies and they look overexposed?
(2020-10-31, 12:21)hapanpappa Wrote: Cheers, will try. I wonder if having Kodi v18 as well is gonna mess with the installation, settings or some other such compatibility hijinks?
On windows download the Kodi 19 nightly install exe.  In the installer DO Not accept the default install location; instead have the installer create a new installation folder (for example, C:\Kodi 19 nightly).  When install finished navigate to the new install folder and create a desktop shortcut to the kodi.exe.  Edit the shortcut properties so that the target command line contains a -p switch (portable mode).  All settings etc for Kodi running in portable mode are contained within the Kodi install folder.

Depending on your GPU brand you might need some Windows / driver settings but I don't think these impact other apps for the most part (including older Kodi vers).

scott s.
(2020-10-31, 11:07)jogal Wrote:
(2020-10-30, 13:26)krondor Wrote: Hi

I have SDR 4K TV used as primary monitor. It looks like HDR processing for SDR displays is broken in the build KodiSetup-20201027-ac48ff40-master-x64.exe. The picture is very dark on the Mandalorian S01 4K. The latest that correctly processes HDR to SDR conversion for me is the build KodiSetup-20201014-a6c1b2aa-master-x64.exe.

Any thoughts?

Michel

This is due The Mandalorian (source) has not HDR light metadata and neither mastering luminance:

MediaInfo says the source is PQ transfer but no metadata. 

I'm pretty sure this source will behave the same on all previous Kodi builds since this code has not been modified.

However, there is a workaround for this (I did this for HDR passtrough earlier) to correctly detect these sources.

It can be considered by default 1000 nits and do tone mapping anyway... it will always be better than not doing it since the source is HDR at the moment that the transfer is PQ.

I will create a PR for this...

EDIT: PR created https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18688

EDIT2: Test build with this PR => http://www.mediafire.com/file/vfuv1ercc0...4.exe/file
Thank you very much for your help! Will try this one. And thank you for your excellent work!

Cheers,
Michel
(2020-11-01, 12:13)krondor Wrote:
(2020-10-31, 11:07)jogal Wrote:
(2020-10-30, 13:26)krondor Wrote: Hi

I have SDR 4K TV used as primary monitor. It looks like HDR processing for SDR displays is broken in the build KodiSetup-20201027-ac48ff40-master-x64.exe. The picture is very dark on the Mandalorian S01 4K. The latest that correctly processes HDR to SDR conversion for me is the build KodiSetup-20201014-a6c1b2aa-master-x64.exe.

Any thoughts?

Michel

This is due The Mandalorian (source) has not HDR light metadata and neither mastering luminance:

MediaInfo says the source is PQ transfer but no metadata. 

I'm pretty sure this source will behave the same on all previous Kodi builds since this code has not been modified.

However, there is a workaround for this (I did this for HDR passtrough earlier) to correctly detect these sources.

It can be considered by default 1000 nits and do tone mapping anyway... it will always be better than not doing it since the source is HDR at the moment that the transfer is PQ.

I will create a PR for this...

EDIT: PR created https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18688

EDIT2: Test build with this PR => http://www.mediafire.com/file/vfuv1ercc0...4.exe/file
Thank you very much for your help! Will try this one. And thank you for your excellent work!

Cheers,
Michel
Hi Jogal

The build works fine. An the picture is much better.

I made three captures on the beginning of the episode 5: 1st coming from your build (https://ibb.co/9r1wGCw), 2nd coming from Windows builty-in Films&TV Player (https://ibb.co/gPW2XPQ) and the 3rd coming from the same episode but in 1080p mode scaled to 4K (https://ibb.co/cgxS2YQ).

It looks like that in comparison to Windows stock player the image produced by the build is little bit lighter and more reddish.

What do you think?

P.S. the links will gone in 1 week
Cheers,
Michel
I think that to watch 4K HDR in optimal conditions you should buy a 4K HDR TV and use sources with light metadata Smile
(2020-11-01, 16:22)jogal Wrote: I think that to watch 4K HDR in optimal conditions you should buy a 4K HDR TV and use sources with light metadata Smile

You're absolutely right 😊. Waiting for OLED CX series to become more affordable.

Cheers,
Michel
(2020-11-01, 19:15)krondor Wrote:
(2020-11-01, 16:22)jogal Wrote: I think that to watch 4K HDR in optimal conditions you should buy a 4K HDR TV and use sources with light metadata Smile

You're absolutely right 😊. Waiting for OLED CX series to become more affordable.

Cheers,
Michel

I've finally spent a few hours on tone mapping (couldn't sleep)  Big Grin

Here is a new version to try: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=358128
(2020-10-27, 22:02)scott967 Wrote: It's going to be very difficult to figure out your issue while you run a complex skin.  please switch to Estuary and disable all the service addons then try just to start the video.  AFAICT you are playing an H.264 720p video with hardware decoding and DXVA rendering that is upscaling to 2160p.

scott s.

Hi Scott
I have upgraded my setup to AMD Rizen 3600, Running Windows 10 loaded on PCIE 4.0 SSD, plus upgraded my video card to Nvidia 1660 6 Gig.
No more freeze while playing HDR movies. 
CPU runs at 1% and memory is at 20% while playing HDR movies.
I finally made my build and wanted to ask a few questions on slight jitter during fast-moving scenes in my 4k HDR ripped movies. It is not "butter smooth". 

My Build
  1. TV = LG C9 OLED 77" (Connected in 4k HDR at 60 Hz)
  2. Desktop Computer (Windows 10 with HEVC codec)   
    1. ASROCK H470M PRO4 (bearly uses 6%- 7% of CPU)
    2. MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super
    3. 2x8GB Memory
  3. Direct connect from HDMI to HDMI of TV (Video Card HDMI to TV HDMI) --> For Picture
  4. Direct connect from Display Port to Denon AVR-X4000h receiver (Video Card Display Port with adapter Club 3D CAC-1080 DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0B HDR Adapter HDMI Receiver HDMI --> for 5.1 Sound set-up. 
I did all the optimization on the Nvidia card as recommended on the first page.

Few Questions:
1) Does anyone have any recommendation on setting I can try on the Video card for trying to get rid of that slight jitter.
2) I expected my CPU a lot more than 6% to 7% utilization. 
3) When I first start a movie my TV blinks several times and shows "HDR" is this normal? I hope this is not bad for the TV.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

BTW I am on the latest kodi nightly build.
(2020-11-07, 10:45)powerplyer Wrote: I finally made my build and wanted to ask a few questions on slight jitter during fast-moving scenes in my 4k HDR ripped movies. It is not "butter smooth". 

My Build
    3. 2x8GB Memory
  3. Direct connect from HDMI to HDMI of TV (Video Card HDMI to TV HDMI) --> For Picture
  4. Direct connect from Display Port to Denon AVR-X4000h receiver (Video Card Display Port with adapter Club 3D CAC-1080 DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0B HDR Adapter HDMI Receiver HDMI --> for 5.1 Sound set-up. 

Few Questions:
1) Does anyone have any recommendation on setting I can try on the Video card for trying to get rid of that slight jitter.
3) When I first start a movie my TV blinks several times and shows "HDR" is this normal? I hope this is not bad for the TV.

1. Check motionflow settings on your LG may help with the motion judder on my Sony oled i turn off most of the gimmicky enhancements check a useful LG forum on this.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings - may help.

2. Normal my cpu maybe maxes 5% maybe

3. Normal aswell, HDR handshake change i believe its maybe called and to do with Windows 10  mine does the same.

ogh and any Nvidia changes add Kodi to programme (manage 3d settings) and i set maximum power usage, set frame rate, vsync on ect any others that allow application to decide.
(2020-11-07, 15:26)kikassridec2 Wrote:
(2020-11-07, 10:45)powerplyer Wrote: I finally made my build and wanted to ask a few questions on slight jitter during fast-moving scenes in my 4k HDR ripped movies. It is not "butter smooth". 

My Build
    3. 2x8GB Memory

Few Questions:

1. Check motionflow settings on your LG may help with the motion judder on my Sony oled i turn off most of the gimmicky enhancements check a useful LG forum on this.

3. Normal aswell, HDR handshake change i believe its maybe called and to do with Windows 10  mine does the same.

ogh and any Nvidia changes add Kodi to programme (manage 3d settings) and i set maximum power usage, set frame rate, vsync on ect any others that allow application to decide.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will try out rrating setting, I did do it to one one of my other HDMI connections, but forgot to do it for this HDMI. Thanks for the reminder. 

As for the nVidia, where do I go to for the manage 3d setting on the Nvidia control panel?  Sorry do not know what ogh means Smile.
(2020-11-07, 20:34)powerplyer Wrote:
(2020-11-07, 15:26)kikassridec2 Wrote:

My Build
    3. 2x8GB Memory

Few Questions:

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will try out rrating setting, I did do it to one one of my other HDMI connections, but forgot to do it for this HDMI. Thanks for the reminder. 

As for the nVidia, where do I go to for the manage 3d setting on the Nvidia control panel?  Sorry do not know what ogh means Smile.

Ok so bring up Nvidia control panel menu then manage 3d settings (under 3d settings second tab down) then programe settings then add kodi and change settings i mentioned and i get no judder atall but then every set up tv manuf ect is diffrent so hope this helps

Im willing to bet you need to tinker with your Lg tv settings (motion settings) as long as you have followed Jogals settings on 1st page
@jogal 

how does kodi choose pixel format/bitdepth when output resolution/mode is changed for hdr playback?
does it specify explicitly rgb, yuv etc? or does it completely rely on the driver default? or maybe it just selects the first from the list?
maybe it just inherits from the current windows/gpu output pixel format?

would it make sense to try to control this behavior? so that we could choose which format is preferred?
for example to bias it toward 10bit rgb vs 10bit yuv420.
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2