Does anyone has a working ambilight in Kodi on a Raspbian runnng on Pi4?
Hi there,

I try to set up ambilight on my Raspbian, which also has a Kodi installed - I could make it work on Raspbian itself with Boblight (works as it should), but if I launch Kodi, it stops to work (addon installed in Kodi). It flickers up at the start of the movie, and stays as it is. Hyperion in addition does not light up any LED, it blackens the screen when I start a movie (local or Netflix, anything actually), seems to be frozen (however there is sound) and restart is my only option.

So if anyone has a working system like this and was able to create some ambilight, I would highly appreciate some help here. If you need any more help to get a log, or install something, please let me know.
I never got my ambilight to work on Raspbian on a B, 2B or 3B+.  Hyperion works a treat on LibreELEC.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Some years ago I got Hyperion working with a Raspberry Pi + Raspbian + Kodi. By the time Raspbian wasn't supported and I wrote a patch for it to work. Now it is officially supported on Raspbian. But I never tested it with a RPi 4 and I don't have the ambilight stuff anymore.
Anyway, by a quick look at the Hyperion forum, there seems to be some ppl with problems with the RPi 4 regardless the OS. One guy said he got it working on Raspbian with Hyperion-dispmanx, never used it...
Check it here: https://wiki.hyperion-project.org/
Users report that my add-on doesn't work either. I think it's because of the hardware rendering system used on the RPi 4 doesn't support the RenderCapture method that all of these add-ons use. If you try it with hardware rendering off it might work, but it's probably too slow to watch anything properly. Worth a shot just to confirm it though.
I got way too more answers than I expected, thank you! In the coming days I will have some time again for this project.
@speedwell68 : Yes, I heard that LibreELEC works as charm, but my life would be easier with a single OS, and it's a worst case scenario for me, to install LibreELEC as well. I know it's a good fallback option, but thank you for mentioning it!
@rascas  and @Snapcase I will definietly try out the things you mentioned and I will come back with the results.
(2020-01-20, 17:29)dddenes Wrote: I got way too more answers than I expected, thank you! In the coming days I will have some time again for this project.
@speedwell68 : Yes, I heard that LibreELEC works as charm, but my life would be easier with a single OS, and it's a worst case scenario for me, to install LibreELEC as well. I know it's a good fallback option, but thank you for mentioning it!
@rascas  and @Snapcase I will definietly try out the things you mentioned and I will come back with the results.
I also like to try Boblight on LibreElec with a RPi4.
Please post your findings here.
Havent got boblight to work in raspberry pi 4(arduino usb connecting). but the same 1:1 boblight config works well with Intel nuc. Wold love to use RPi because its silent.
Hyperion, boblight, YeeMee and other similar add-ons use getImage() method from the RenderCapture Class (Documentation) which unfortunately doesn't work on Raspberry Pi 4 running Raspbian. The method instead of capturing the screen, spits out gibberish into a file. 

I've spent some time looking at this, but so far I couldn't find a fix or workaround.

I would also be very interested if anyone managed to successfully implement any of those add-ons on Pi 4 running RaspbianOS and Kodi v18.x
So confused. Dr zzs YouTube acts like pi zero would work. Pi is officially supported hardware per Hyperion site.
Just ordered stuff now I’m frustrated by the contradictory info everywhere. What’s the architecture for this thing?

(2020-04-05, 21:37)gumis Wrote: Hyperion, boblight, YeeMee and other similar add-ons use getImage() method from the RenderCapture Class (Documentation) which unfortunately doesn't work on Raspberry Pi 4 running Raspbian. The method instead of capturing the screen, spits out gibberish into a file. 

I've spent some time looking at this, but so far I couldn't find a fix or workaround.

I would also be very interested if anyone managed to successfully implement any of those add-ons on Pi 4 running RaspbianOS and Kodi v18.x
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
Got it working perfectly on my Pi3 with Hyperion, not tried my Pi4 yet, sorry...

(edit) sorry should have said, running XBIAN on both Pi3
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
got it running or Rpi3B+ with Raspbian and Hyperion (NOT Hyperion NG), want to try it as next at Rpi 4B together with tvheadend and the Raspberry TV HAT.
Will give you a feedback when it works, but first i must get kodi working with tvheadend.
with Hyperion only supported till Rpi 3, with rpi4 installation fails. Maybe with Hyperion.ng. wil be my next trial.
Searching for a solution of my problem I found exactly this thread where I was in January already....
Running Hyperion.ng makes that kodi does not work anymore properly on rpi4. Each HMI input causes a black screen for many seconds. Absolutely not usable.
I give it up and go back to rpi3.
Kodi 18.7 on Raspberry Pi 3B+ @ Raspberry OS buster| Kodi 18.7 on Raspberry Pi4B @ Raspberry OS buster
(2021-05-20, 17:04)baertiger Wrote: Searching for a solution of my problem I found exactly this thread where I was in January already....
Running Hyperion.ng makes that kodi does not work anymore properly on rpi4. Each HMI input causes a black screen for many seconds. Absolutely not usable.
I give it up and go back to rpi3.

Maybe I can help you. For years I've been running kodi with hyperion.ng on RPi3 with arch linux arm without any problems. Recently I switched to RPi4 and it still works like a charm but there are issues with the latest kodi version. I did have simmilar problems like yours (black screen) but I solved that. If you're interested I'd like to know the following:
  • with hyperion.ng are you using internal or external grabber
  • which kodi version are you using
  • what is your native screen resolution
Hello everyone and a happy 2022.

I'm running recent versions of LibreELEC 10 and Kodi 19 on a RPi4 and would like to add an ambilight.

Does anyone have an ambilight system working on a similar setup, and could give some tips, please?

Thanks in advance.

Rembrandt

PS: Has anybody tried this? Perhaps with Hyperion used through Kodi rather than - as per this tutorial- via an RPi Hyperbian image.
https://www.majestechs.com/ambilight-tutorial

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does anyone has a working ambilight in Kodi on a Raspbian runnng on Pi4?0