Using gpu of
Hi there 
I'm newbie with kodi and i using it on an old PC.
I'm not sur kodi 18.5 use the GPU of my graphic card  
it uses a lot of cpu to decode a video compared with celluloid (mint mate)
Kody say's GPU LLVMPIPE OPENGL 3.1 MESA 19.2.1 
I need to customize something to force kody using GPU ??  (CG: Caicos Radeon HD 6450 / R5 230 OEM)
Thank a lot 

HARD: OEM PC  CM: G41M-GS3 ASRock CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz
MEM: 4GO GC: Caicos Radeon HD 6450 / R5 230 OEM DISK: SSD Crucial_CT128M55
SOFT OS: MINT 19.3 MATE  KERNEL: 5.3.0-26-generic KODI 18.5
(2020-01-18, 10:25)laurent19 Wrote: it uses a lot of cpu to decode a video compared with celluloid (mint mate)

That is the usual signal that GPU acceleration is not working properly.
I don't think that Ubuntu's or Mint's default drivers (Nouveau?) will offer support. Proprietary drivers is normally the way to go.

You are using a pretty outdated graphics card though, computer technology goes fast.
A Raspberry Pi 3/4 can do better than a HD6450.
(2020-01-18, 11:14)Klojum Wrote: That is the usual signal that GPU acceleration is not working properly.
I don't think that Ubuntu's or Mint's default drivers (Nouveau?) will offer support. Proprietary drivers is normally the way to go.

You are using a pretty outdated graphics card though, computer technology goes fast.
Thats an ati (amd) card, should use radeon (kernel) + r600g mesa, old proprietary amd drivers (fglrx) are not supported on modern linuxes.
HW opengl acceleration for this outdated card should work out of the box with opensource stack, I have an old board with amd e-450 + builtin HD4320 (older than op's) which worked quite nicely with kodi 18.x with accelerated gl and hw decoding.
Humbly suggest moving this topic to linux support where IMO it belongs.
And yep, I totally agree that a pi with LibreElec should provide a better experience.

@laurent19 you would need to provide:
1) a debug log (see @Klojum 's signature)
2) a link to a paste site containing the output of
Code:
dmesg
and
Code:
glxinfo
(2020-01-18, 22:13)asavah Wrote:
(2020-01-18, 11:14)Klojum Wrote: That is the usual signal that GPU acceleration is not working properly.

Thats an ati (amd) card, should use radeon (kernel) + r600g mesa, old proprietary amd drivers (fglrx) are not supported on modern linuxes.
HW opengl acceleration for this outdated card should work out of the box with opensource stack, I have an old board with amd e-450 + builtin HD4320 (older than op's) which worked quite nicely with kodi 18.x with accelerated gl and hw decoding.
And yep, I totally agree that a pi with LibreElec should provide a better experience.

Code:
dmesg
and
Code:
glxinfo
Thanks for the help:
Log for kodi playing video : fahovibodo.kodi (paste)
dmesg: owosugayib (paste)
glxinfo: fugixuvogu (paste)
The same video => cpu usage (30% celluloid vs 97 % kodi) : vakeyajigu (paste)
(2020-01-19, 09:31)laurent19 Wrote:
(2020-01-18, 22:13)asavah Wrote:

Code:
dmesg
and
Code:
glxinfo
Thanks for the help:
Log for kodi playing video : fahovibodo.kodi (paste)
dmesg: owosugayib (paste)
glxinfo: fugixuvogu (paste)
The same video => cpu usage (30% celluloid vs 97 % kodi) : vakeyajigu (paste) 
I think ma gpu (R4 230) is no longuer supported : https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p...9&t=248059
(2020-01-19, 09:43)laurent19 Wrote: I think ma gpu (R4 230) is no longuer supported
ATI/AMD have looked the other way for quite some time (5+ years) in supporting Linux video drivers, only recently they picked it up again with the Ryzen chips.

Nvidia has not been generous for the last couple of years, only feeding Linux minute pieces of support every now and then in the open-source department. It's a pity.
(2020-01-19, 10:40)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-01-19, 09:43)laurent19 Wrote: I think ma gpu (R4 230) is no longuer supported
ATI/AMD have looked the other way for quite some time (5+ years) in supporting Linux video drivers, only recently they picked it up again with the Ryzen chips.

Nvidia has not been generous for the last couple of years, only feeding Linux minute pieces of support every now and then in the open-source department. It's a pity. 
I think i 'll buy an  GeForce GT 710 for my old PC,  she run under linux 18,  and nvdia provide drivers for this cards : https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverRe...6086/en-us
(2020-01-19, 10:55)laurent19 Wrote: I think i 'll buy an  GeForce GT 710 for my old PC
You might as well get a more powerful GT1030, it's not that much more expensive IMO.
Unless you're gonna buy the GT710 second-hand.
(2020-01-19, 11:39)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-01-19, 10:55)laurent19 Wrote: I think i 'll buy an  GeForce GT 710 for my old PC
You might as well get a more powerful GT1030, it's not that much more expensive IMO.
Unless you're gonna buy the GT710 second-hand. 
Blush very good advice !
(2020-01-19, 09:43)laurent19 Wrote: I think ma gpu (R4 230) is no longuer supported : https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p...9&t=248059

Nah, it is supported by mesa and kernel, therefore it should work with opensource stack, forget about amd proprietary stuff - it's crap intended for enterprise distros.
However it does not work:
Code:
[ 1.874616][drm:r600_dma_ring_test [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon: ring 3 test failed (0xCAFEDEAD)
[ 1.874620] radeon 0000:04:00.0: disabling GPU acceleration
It might be a kernel bug or hardware issue.
There might be workarounds but I won't provide any tips because they could render your system "unusable" (eg. no gui at all).
If you wish you could research the topic and try some workarounds at your own risk.

Getting a cheap,newer, and more powerful card is a good idea.
Nvidia is the exact opposite of AMD - opensource stack is barely usable, proprietary drivers usually work great (sad but true).
However for nvidia do not install the driver from nvidia site, the distro has these drivers properly packaged with dkms and stuff, install the package from your distro.
If memory serves there even was an app in the options menu for installing proprietary drivers.
Nvidia drivers are solid for me (apart from the lack of 10bit support in Linux).

You can also use this PPA for the latest drivers: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/...ubuntu/ppa
Easiest way in Ubuntu for Nvidia drivers is to execute ubuntu-drivers devices in a terminal. Make sure it has identified your gfx card correctly (vendor and model) and then do sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall in a terminal, which will install the recommended package shown by the first command.  See https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-t...aver-linux 

Gotta say that all my kit (apart from the rPi's) runs nVidia gfx and I have never had an issue.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using gpu of0