OS X It’s 2020 and I didnt realize Apple TV 1 were running Netflix in 2017
Video 
Hello everyone!

I have this Apple TV 1st generation that was in my closet for a long time.
I did some experiments with it in the past, bought the Crystal HD card and all but ended shelving it because of lack of time...
However, here I am seven years later and recently I was searching the web for a streamer option and found that in the beginning of 2017, OSMC released an Apple TV 1 image which supported the Crystal HD and Netflix.
The early 2017 release of OSMC offered Kodi 17 and I found that it isn't possible to install the Netflix plugin anymore in this KODI release as the Alelec repository isn't working anymore.
I know that there's an option for the KODI 18 and that latest release of 2017 OSMC runs KODI 18, so my guess is this will work on Apple TV 1 if I install the latest 2017 release.

However, I have some questions... :-P

Does the Netflix plugin for KODI 17 uses CrystalHD decoding? I runs smooth?
Do the performance of Netflix plugin on KODI 18 without CrystalHD is acceptable?

Does anyone have an Apple TV 1 running earlier 2017 OSMC with Netflix Plugin and CrystalHD working? If so, can you share the HDD image?

Found another topic saying that the performance of OSMC on Apple TV 1 is better when you increase the swap file. Does anyone tried this?

Thanks you all in advance for the help!!

Kind regards,

Zeh
I also have an ATV1 in my cupboard, so be interested to hear about this
(2020-01-22, 16:13)Zeh_TV Wrote: Hello everyone!

I did some experiments with it in the past, bought the Crystal HD card and all but ended shelving it because of lack of time...
However, here I am seven years later and recently I was searching the web for a streamer option and found that in the beginning of 2017, OSMC released an Apple TV 1 image which supported the Crystal HD and Netflix.
The early 2017 release of OSMC offered Kodi 17 and I found that it isn't possible to install the Netflix plugin anymore in this KODI release as the Alelec repository isn't working anymore.
I know that there's an option for the KODI 18 and that latest release of 2017 OSMC runs KODI 18, so my guess is this will work on Apple TV 1 if I install the latest 2017 release.

Do the performance of Netflix plugin on KODI 18 without CrystalHD is acceptable?

Does anyone have an Apple TV 1 running earlier 2017 OSMC with Netflix Plugin and CrystalHD working? If so, can you share the HDD image?

Found another topic saying that the performance of OSMC on Apple TV 1 is better when you increase the swap file. Does anyone tried this?

Kind regards,

Zeh
OSMC automatically handles the swap file for low memory systems.
I suspect you won't have any success with Netflix playback on the Apple TV unfortunately

Sam
(2020-01-22, 16:39)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2020-01-22, 16:13)Zeh_TV Wrote: Hello everyone!

Kind regards,

Zeh
OSMC automatically handles the swap file for low memory systems.
I suspect you won't have any success with Netflix playback on the Apple TV unfortunately

Sam 

Thanks for your reply Sam....
I was suspecting this... Apple TV one is quite old and underpowered, isn't it...
(2020-01-22, 16:30)markeymark Wrote: I also have an ATV1 in my cupboard, so be interested to hear about this

Hi Mark,

According to Sam we won't have any success doing this.
Unfortunately the Apple TV 1 is very underpowered with low RAM and VRAM, 32bit only CPU. Maybe someday a chinese company will release a logic board that runs OSMC or other Kodi OSes and fits Apple TV1 case.
That'd be nice
I'll keep mu CrystalHD upgraded Apple tv for old donwloaded movies and music center...

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
It’s 2020 and I didnt realize Apple TV 1 were running Netflix in 20170