Linux Bitperfect lossless audio
Hi folks!
Is there any way to get bitperfect on Kodi?

Flac files with 16/44.1 content played by Kodi as 24/44.1.
So, Kodi do some upconvert, its not bitperfect.

How to force Kodi not to do any convertations?
Is that really your issue? I don't think so.

kodi decodes your flac to a 32 bit float (!) - huuuuuh - and from this 32 bit float it creates 24 or 16 bit integers again. In short: the 24 bit output is for sure not your problem.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Im bit perfectionist.
I expect 16 bit from Kodi on my DAC.
So up-down-converted 24 bit is my problem Cool
Then you should not use kodi at all. As said kodi decodes internally to 32 bit float and from there converts back to either 32 or 24 bit or 16 bit or outputs float directly to soundservers (Android, Pulseaudio, which do then what they like to do), it uses the highest possible format the sink offers. While 24 bit has higher precision this back conversion is more audiophile than your 16 bit ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
And what you also might not know: 24 bit is higher than 16 bit, the "upconverting" you talk about is pushgin zeroes, it won't produce any other values.

See:
0xFF <- 16 bit
0xFFF0 <- 24 bit (same volume level in 24 bit, leave alone the endioness)

and so on ...
And what you also might not care, as you are an eye-guided audiophilist: Kodi's decoder work that lossless that you can put int DTS WAVs as flacs, those are decoded to float and back from float to Integer and the AVR stills understands DTS - great isn't it?
(2020-03-06, 15:16)fritsch Wrote: See:
0xFF <- 16 bit

Good to know.
But my pain it is not bitperfect.
A dont want to trust up-down converting algorithms.
Why not trust your ears?
16 bits is more than enough to fit anything you can hear into.  24 bit is used professionally for headroom, noise floor, and convenience reasons but there is no reason to keep more than 16 bits for distribution.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-03-06, 16:49)black_eagle Wrote: 16 bits is more than enough to fit anything you can hear into.  24 bit is used professionally for headroom, noise floor, and convenience reasons but there is no reason to keep more than 16 bits for distribution.

Read again. His audio is in 16 bit, he basically asked why kodi choose S24NE for output, which has higher precision. Reason: kodi always uses the highest resolution it can find for output.
(2020-03-06, 17:49)fritsch Wrote: Read again. His audio is in 16 bit, he basically asked why kodi choose S24NE for output, which has higher precision. Reason: kodi always uses the highest resolution it can find for output.

Ah, so he did. Apologies for mis-reading it. Blush
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-03-06, 15:49)Tronx Wrote:
(2020-03-06, 15:16)fritsch Wrote: See:
0xFF <- 16 bit

Good to know.
But my pain it is not bitperfect.
A dont want to trust up-down converting algorithms.  
Your pain is that you simply don't know the definition of bitperfect. If Kodi's audio were no bitperfect, it wouldn't allow tunneling DTS. (but I doubt that you know what that means either)
My pain is my DAC receiving 24/44,1 instead of expected 16/44,1. Content was modified, so its not bitperfect.
For example Volumio (mpd) on the same platform (Rpi3) behave as it shoud.
Then use these. Kodi cannot fix psychological issues, sorry for that.
(2020-03-08, 12:32)fritsch Wrote: Then use these. Kodi cannot fix psychological issues, sorry for that.

Why do you have to be mean about it? He/she doesn't want the software resampling his/her music. Is that too much to inquire? It is no secret that resampling music can introduce distortion whether up or down sampling and quantization noise often when downsampling. Don't act like there is no downside to any of the processes. If someone has a high-end revealing system, they could potentially hear deviations in sound. What OP wants is a process chain that does not mess with the music. Just because it is not something that does not interest you doesn't mean it isn't to others.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitperfect lossless audio0