My small deployment in my home.
Main server is an older Dell Optiplex 3010 with an i5 3470. 8gb of ram. HDMI port is maxed at 1080p. Ubuntu Server 18.04 on a 120gb Samsung ssd. Storage is 2tb 2.5 inch internal hard drive + 2tb usb 3.0 drive. Snapraid parity with another 2tb usb 3.0 drive. This machine is the main HTPC in the living room running Kodi 18.6 currently. Our library currently consists of 1112 movies, 1787 episodes of various tv shows, 3971 mp3 files for music, and 206 videos from my religious organizations website. All media is legally owned or downloaded with a mountain of dvd's and cd's in the garage, with some of the music having been purchased on Amazon. All shared via NFS. 55" 4k Samsung tv in the living room. 40" 1080p in master bedroom. 32" 1080p in the guest room. The living room HTPC also doubles as my wife's desktop which she plays Minecraft on mainly. Due to a head injury at work she isn't supposed to sit right up next to a computer monitor so 10-12 feet away is ok as per Dr's orders.

What I think makes my deployment somewhat unique though is how I have this shared to the bedrooms. This server runs a handful of LXD containers with various services, one being a PXE server using https://ltsp.org/. The remote machines boot from this and have no hard drives. Idea was scalability. By adding the mac address of a new machines ethernet and making a few adjustments on the server I can add a machine to the network without any real difficulty or installations. Single point of managment for theoretically 100+ boxes (my disk I/O can top out at 4-6 machines currently). We live on a couple acres with my parents, and my grandparents. I have a cat 7 running underground in a conduit to my parent's house. Next box will be in their living room. My Mariadb lxd container currently hosts a single music database for all machines. The living room and master bedroom are on their own video db. The guest room has it's own video db. I have also configured for testing yet another db for my parents. All of these share the same source files.

The library is growing daily. My physical media is 99% used coming from various thrift stores, pawn shops, and swap meets. I've debated adding a blu ray drive to my Windows desktop to rip blu ray but so far haven't had a need as dvd is still regularly available. Also saves me storage space and as the wife and I are children of the 80s & 90s we aren't put out by so called "low quality" dvds. Looks just fine to us. Is what we grew up with. Same with the mp3 files. We haven't got the equipment to make lossless worth it. 192 / 190k rips / downloads are just fine and we enjoy it for music.

*No pictures as there isn't anything fancy to see.*
I take it 1981 was your date of birth?

Dude I was 11 when you was born what you call low quality DVD's was a pleasure cruise around the World with free spending money and no sea sickness involved (2020 no corona virus either guaranteed)

Apart from black and white movies, you never had to put up with black and white TV, in the UK TV stations used to shut down at midnight and played the National anthem.

Yet you are talking like you were so hard done by.

As for lossless music, unless you have pitch perfect hearing you cannot tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC anyway. It is all BULL and the people are fake as hell.

If you are really into music then you would have vinyl and not CD's or MP3's so again more fakeness.

Sorry to the mods, but I am in a sarcastic mood tonight for some reason lol
Current FAVOURITE skin : Titan Bingie. I also love Artic Zephyr 2 and Aura
Movie Count : 14,615 TV Count : 33 (always changing as no dedicated TV show computer as yet) Music Count : Not used anymore
PC based 64 bit Windows 7 Kodi software 
(2020-03-13, 20:29)Video Titles Wrote: I take it 1981 was your date of birth?

Dude I was 11 when you was born what you call low quality DVD's was a pleasure cruise around the World with free spending money and no sea sickness involved (2020 no corona virus either guaranteed)

Apart from black and white movies, you never had to put up with black and white TV, in the UK TV stations used to shut down at midnight and played the National anthem.

Yet you are talking like you were so hard done by.

As for lossless music, unless you have pitch perfect hearing you cannot tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC anyway. It is all BULL and the people are fake as hell.

If you are really into music then you would have vinyl and not CD's or MP3's so again more fakeness.

Sorry to the mods, but I am in a sarcastic mood tonight for some reason lol

its ok lol im not offended. I remember watching vhs. Hell i remember my parents renting a vcr of all things. long time ago. yes 81 exactly actually. im quite pleased with my dvd quality even compressed to an mkv.

i only mentioned it because i've seen people get into holy wars about qualities of bluray / 4k vs anything else on forums. they take it way to seriously. i like to watch movies, not marvel at how few pixels i can see. but if it works for them then good. they can keep it. same problem with the .flac or w/e other lossless for audio. i think they are full of crap. maybe they are, maybe they arent. isn't worth my time or money to try to find out. i figure if i have to buy special equipment to hear the minute differences, is it really that important?
I like the idea of putting everything in one spot and easily standing up clients. This would be my dream setup because it's a lot to just keep two Kodi instances as close to perfectly alike as possible.
It really does make it easy. That is another reason I shared it. I find management of potentially multiple machines to be made practically foolproof as well as exponentially quicker for maintenance. One chroot to update instead of x number of separate machines. I also have a desktop installed and when I need a linux system for whatever purpose I can pxe boot my desktop and use XFCE easily enough. I usually rip my movies and music through linux instead of Windows. Each machine uses a unique user and /home/"$USER"/.kodi so people can customize kodi their own way without interfering with others. Ultimately it works like a bunch of separate machines, just a single root filesystem and installation for management. Also guarantees an identical kodi version across the board. Can't possibly get dbs mixed by somehow mixing versions of Kodi. At the end of the day no matter how many clients you only manage 2 machines. The server and the pxe boot chroot.

I may write a guide for it as it took me awhile to sort out the little ins and outs to get this working perfectly. Fair amount of trial and error. But for a large deployment in a home or whatever one would want to do it makes a lot of sense actually. In my case my clients are nothing but Kodi. They are not full htpc with mouse and keyboard. Just the appropriate app on smartphone / tablet. Kore for droid, not sure of apple. Other benefit is you don't need an ssd / hard drive in each machine. Since it's all on the server and purely over the network. Only downside is wired networking is required. I don't believe pxe works via wifi.

*EDIT* Just for the record, I don't recommend heavy gaming when using a pxe boot desktop. But I can verify that Minecraft runs quite well depending on the clients hardware. The difference is nearly imperceptible from a local ssd or hard drive.
A picture would be nice, even if it looks boring, but would be nice to see what you are talking about. As the saying goes, a picture tells a thousand words, and I for one would sooner not read that many, so a pic would be nice.
Current FAVOURITE skin : Titan Bingie. I also love Artic Zephyr 2 and Aura
Movie Count : 14,615 TV Count : 33 (always changing as no dedicated TV show computer as yet) Music Count : Not used anymore
PC based 64 bit Windows 7 Kodi software 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My small deployment in my home.0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.