Req Smart matching channel names (with illegal filename chars) & channel icon file names
Hi all,

I have a problem with the channel icons not appearing in Kodi. I finally figured out the cause. The Channel names in Kodi are in the format "|NL| NPO 1 HD" and NextPVR saves the channel icons with the name "NL NPO 1 HD" because the "|" character is not a valid character in the Windows file name. So apparently NextPVR replaces the pipe character with a space. Unfortunately Kodi doesn't do the same when matching the channel name with the channel icon in the NextPVR directory. In total I have almost 42000 channel icons and renaming 42000 channels in Kodi is not something I would like to do manually. The channel names are auto generated from the m3u file.

I can't be the first person running into this problem, so I hope someone has found a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards.
The addon doesn't use the name when it creates channel icons so I expect the problem is something different.  This is why we ask user for kodi debug logs when they make posts so we can check ourselfs.

I expect 42000 channels is going to be too much assuming you are using v5, consider filtering your channel list.

Martin
(2020-03-30, 00:56)rohinmehra Wrote: In total I have almost 42000 channel icons and renaming 42000 channels in Kodi
42,000... How do you even begin to choose what you're going to watch every day?

(2020-03-30, 00:56)rohinmehra Wrote: I can't be the first person running into this problem,
I'm pretty sure that not everyone has such an extensive, and no doubt less than 100% legal, list of TV channels.
(2020-03-30, 02:11)emveepee Wrote: The addon doesn't use the name when it creates channel icons so I expect the problem is something different.  This is why we ask user for kodi debug logs when they make posts so we can check ourselfs.

I expect 42000 channels is going to be too much assuming you are using v5, consider filtering your channel list.

Martin
Hi Martin, I definitely don't need so many channels. I edited my m3u file and reduced the number of channels to 140. I also removed the folder in the setting "Folder with Channel icons" under the Menu / OSD in the PVR & Live TV settings. Now the icons have appeared. Many thanks for your help! I have also figured out how to upload the log files, but that won't be necessary now the problem is solved. The only disadvantage is I can't use the m3u url in which case I have to manually update the m3u file all the time. For live TV this is not really an issue, but for VOD it is, because this is updated more frequently.
(2020-03-31, 00:20)rohinmehra Wrote:
(2020-03-30, 02:11)emveepee Wrote: The addon doesn't use the name when it creates channel icons so I expect the problem is something different.  This is why we ask user for kodi debug logs when they make posts so we can check ourselfs.

Martin
Hi Martin, I definitely don't need so many channels. I edited my m3u file and reduced the number of channels to 140. I also removed the folder in the setting "Folder with Channel icons" under the Menu / OSD in the PVR & Live TV settings. Now the icons have appeared. Many thanks for your help! I have also figured out how to upload the log files, but that won't be necessary now the problem is solved. The only disadvantage is I can't use the m3u url in which case I have to manually update the m3u file all the time. For live TV this is not really an issue, but for VOD it is, because this is updated more frequently. 

I have reproduced the problem. This is the log file where the channel logos are displayed correctly (362 channels): https://paste.kodi.tv/bubucuhoxu and this is the log file when the icons are not displayed correctly (803 channels), although I am not completely sure if the number of channels is actually the cause. I am quite curious. Please let me know if someone has figured out the cause. Thanks in advance! If more information is needed please let me know. Kind regards.
(2020-04-01, 00:11)rohinmehra Wrote:
(2020-03-31, 00:20)rohinmehra Wrote:

Martin

I have reproduced the problem. This is the log file where the channel logos are displayed correctly (362 channels): https://paste.kodi.tv/bubucuhoxu and this is the log file when the icons are not displayed correctly (803 channels), although I am not completely sure if the number of channels is actually the cause. I am quite curious. Please let me know if someone has figured out the cause. Thanks in advance! If more information is needed please let me know. Kind regards. 
Sorry, forgot to add the secont log file where de channel logos have disappeared: https://paste.kodi.tv/sabidomexu
Thanks that is not a debug log so doesn't show what it going on.   Your earlier comment "I have to manually update the m3u file all the time" probably means you have to sync changes with Kodi potentially by doing a PVR database reset in Settings. 

Hopefully you are running v5 of the backend.

Martin
(2020-04-01, 00:38)emveepee Wrote: Thanks that is not a debug log so doesn't show what it going on.   Your earlier comment "I have to manually update the m3u file all the time" probably means you have to sync changes with Kodi potentially by doing a PVR database reset in Settings. 

Martin
Hi Martin, thanks for your swift reply. Yes, I am using v5 of the backend. I would prefer to use a url to my m3u file in NextPVR. Now instead of using the url of the m3u file I download the m3u file and remove all the VOD content and many channels. So that means I don't get updates if the m3u file is changed on the remote end. Sorry I included the wrong log. I will create and post the debug log soon. I have done a PVR database reset in settings, but that was not what I meant by manually updating the m3u file. I meant using a url instead of downloading and modifying the file.
(2020-04-01, 19:25)rohinmehra Wrote:
(2020-04-01, 00:38)emveepee Wrote: Thanks that is not a debug log so doesn't show what it going on.   Your earlier comment "I have to manually update the m3u file all the time" probably means you have to sync changes with Kodi potentially by doing a PVR database reset in Settings. 

Martin
Hi Martin, thanks for your swift reply. Yes, I am using v5 of the backend. I would prefer to use a url to my m3u file in NextPVR. Now instead of using the url of the m3u file I download the m3u file and remove all the VOD content and many channels. So that means I don't get updates if the m3u file is changed on the remote end. Sorry I included the wrong log. I will create and post the debug log soon. I have done a PVR database reset in settings, but that was not what I meant by manually updating the m3u file. I meant using a url instead of downloading and modifying the file. 
Hi Martin, here are the debug log files.
Channels with logos
https://paste.kodi.tv/dicucuyiqe
Channels without logos
https://paste.kodi.tv/puguwotuki
Hopefully this time the log files are correct. Thanks in advance!
The logs are fine, so you deleted all your files and don't have icons.  That typically means you haven't mapped them on the backend.   Run this in your browser http://127.0.0.1:8866/service?method=channel.list  and if  you don't see <icon>true</icon>  on each channels you need to follow up on the NextPVR forum.

Martin
(2020-04-01, 20:03)emveepee Wrote: The logs are fine, so you deleted all your files and don't have icons.  That typically means you haven't mapped them on the backend.   Run this in your browser http://127.0.0.1:8866/service?method=channel.list  and if  you don't see <icon>true</icon>  on each channels you need to follow up on the NextPVR forum.

Martin
Hi Martin,

I see <icon>true</icon> for almost all of the channels but the icon doesn't appear in kodi for these channels. It definitely isn't a backend problem. In NextPVR Web App I also see all the icons in the guide and channel list.

I actually think it does have something to do with the amount of channels. If I reduce the number of channels to below 700 the icons work, but above 700 channels the icons stop appearing.

That's seems to be the only variable I have changed (the amount of channels).

See below the xml code for one of the channels.
<channel> <id>66610</id> <name>|NL| NPO 1 HD</name> <number>3</number> <minor>0</minor> <formatted-number>3</formatted-number> <type>0x1</type>
<details>http://line.hi-ott.net:80/Mehra/VXBYpvSct1fPs8c/740 </details>
<icon>true</icon> </channel>

Kind regards,

Rohin
(2020-04-01, 22:38)rohinmehra Wrote:
(2020-04-01, 20:03)emveepee Wrote: The logs are fine, so you deleted all your files and don't have icons.  That typically means you haven't mapped them on the backend.   Run this in your browser http://127.0.0.1:8866/service?method=channel.list  and if  you don't see <icon>true</icon>  on each channels you need to follow up on the NextPVR forum.

Martin
Hi Martin,

I see <icon>true</icon> for almost all of the channels but the icon doesn't appear in kodi for these channels. It definitely isn't a backend problem. In NextPVR Web App I also see all the icons in the guide and channel list.

I actually think it does have something to do with the amount of channels. If I reduce the number of channels to below 700 the icons work, but above 700 channels the icons stop appearing.

<channel> <id>66610</id> <name>|NL| NPO 1 HD</name> <number>3</number> <minor>0</minor> <formatted-number>3</formatted-number> <type>0x1</type>

Kind regards,

Rohin 
Just did a search. The value false doesn't appear at all. All channels have the value true.
It wouldn't typically say false.

So do you have a file that would go with that?

C:\Users\rohin\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.nextpvr\nextpvr-ch66610.png

Martin
(2020-04-01, 22:42)rohinmehra Wrote:
(2020-04-01, 22:38)rohinmehra Wrote:

Martin
Hi Martin,

Kind regards,

Rohin  
Just did a search. The value false doesn't appear at all. All channels have the value true. 
Sorry Martin, I have to correct myself. I hadn't increased the number of channels yet to above 700.

After doing that the output of the xml code change and the code with the icon tag disappeared, see below. So you were right. It does seem to be a backend problem. I will make a post in the NextPVR forums.

</channel>

Many thanks for you support.

Kind regards,

Rohin Mehra
(2020-04-01, 22:52)emveepee Wrote: It wouldn't typically say false.

So do you have a file that would go with that?

C:\Users\rohin\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.nextpvr\nextpvr-ch66610.png

Martin
Hi Martin, I do have a file to go with that. But as you can read in my other post, the problem does seem to lie on the backend side.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smart matching channel names (with illegal filename chars) & channel icon file names0