Solved Is no screen a possible culprit in Kodi shutting down?
Hi,
before I get into uploading debug logs and such, I would just like to know if turning a screen (in my case a Philips TV) off is a possible culprit in Kodi closing itself?

I never (or extremely rarely) have any crashes when running Kodi with my receiver giving it access to my screen. Trouble is, soon as I e.g. switch the source of the TV to something else on my receiver or just turn the receiver off, Kodi silently closes. I have some logs to post, but would like to know if there is a Kodi setting to prevent Kodi from trying to communicate with the TV?

Thanks!
I'd start by checking and looking at the CEC (wiki) settings in the input section of the settings menu - click here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-04-01, 18:21)DarrenHill Wrote: I'd start by checking and looking at the CEC (wiki) settings in the input section of the settings menu - click here.

Thanks, but I don't seem to have any CEC settings or CEC enabled configuration available. My input section shows nothing of the kind.

Any other settings I should check?
I also thought that the screen saver could be a problem, so I turned it off. It didn't change anything though.
Ok, here we go - full problem with log.

Hardware:
Intel NUC
CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz
x86_64

Display:
  *-display               
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
       manufacturer: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 09
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       abilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:45 memory:f7800000-f7bfffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(storlek=64) memory:c0000-dffff

Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Release:    16.04
Codename:    xenial
unity 7.4.5

Kodi:
Version 18.6 Git:20200301-8e967df921

Problem:
Kodi is very stable and smooth with TV screen on (Philips TV via Onkyo receiver connected through HDMI). However, everytime I switch input on the receiver (to e.g. chromecast) or put receiver in standby mode, Kodi shuts down silently in the background. No visible error message, just seemingly a clean exit back to the OS gui, from which I can restart Kodi without issues. The PC with Ubuntu 16.04 is constantly on.

This may seem as a minor problem, and maybe it is, but it is frustrating to walk over to the PC, grab the mouse and click the Kodi icon everytime I turn the receiver back on to Kodi input.

I attaching my log file through Pastebin for you to look. I can see lines saying things like "terminating" and "application stopped!", but I am not skilled enough to draw the right conclusion from this log.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Debug log:
https://pastebin.com/SEf7VApL
Quote:2020-04-01 17:57:09.386 T:140231937271552   DEBUG: LIRC: - NEW 000000037ff07bf3 00 KEY_POWER mceusb (KEY_POWER)
2020-04-01 17:57:09.416 T:140232478144896   DEBUG: HandleKey: rewind (0xc4) pressed, action is ShutDown()

In this log you press the power off button on your remote and kodi is shutting down. Funny, that your "rewind key" seems to be mapped to Shutdown. Double mapped by chance?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-04-03, 21:02)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:2020-04-01 17:57:09.386 T:140231937271552   DEBUG: LIRC: - NEW 000000037ff07bf3 00 KEY_POWER mceusb (KEY_POWER)
2020-04-01 17:57:09.416 T:140232478144896   DEBUG: HandleKey: rewind (0xc4) pressed, action is ShutDown()

In this log you press the power off button on your remote and kodi is shutting down. Funny, that your "rewind key" seems to be mapped to Shutdown. Double mapped by chance? 
That's interesting. I am using a Logitech Harmony remote and didn't think of the possibility that I might actually have programmed it to power Kodi off when I press "Turn off all" or when I switch activity. I have to go back to my Harmony setup to see if that's the case. Regarding rewind as shutdown, I certainly haven't done that on purpose.

Thanks!
Pressing "rewind" by the way does not close Kodi. It does nothing, actually.
Thumbs Up 
Thanks all of you replying to this. I have forgot to update this thread with the info that I managed to reprogram my Harmony Remote so Kodi doesn't close anymore. It turned out that switching activity or pressing "All off" actually closed Kodi for me.

Problem solved!
Thread marked solved.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is no screen a possible culprit in Kodi shutting down?0