RPi 4b Kodi 18.6 H.265 issues with 4K?
Hi everybody,
i recently bought a Raspberry Pi 4b.
It runs on latest Raspbian Os and i use Kodi 18.6.
I bought the Pi because i read it's able to run 4K videos with Kodi.

A H.265 video in 1920x800 with 23FPS runs fine in Kodi.
H.264 and Full-HD run fine.

But unfortunately i have bad video quality when running files in H.265 with 3840x1608 resolution and 23FPS.
I tested it with several files, which all run fine on another computer.

Then however i have another H.265 video in 3840x2160 and 30FPS which runs totally fine in Kodi.

Should Kodi on RPi4b be able to play all those files perfectly?
How can i proceed to get to the root cause?
I have no idea what to do.

Everything on my Pi is up to date.

Thanks!
(2020-04-02, 18:54)Fishmasta Wrote: Then however i have another H.265 video in 3840x2160 and 30FPS which runs totally fine in Kodi.

A type of video that is not yet fully supported is HDR video.
Please check if the non-working videos are of that type.

If necessary, provide a Kodi log file via a paste site.
(2020-04-02, 18:54)Fishmasta Wrote: But unfortunately i have bad video quality when running files in H.265 with 3840x1608 resolution and 23FPS.
I tested it with several files, which all run fine on another computer.
How is the quality bad? Is there corruption on screen? (e.g. green blocks) Or is the playback correct, but not smooth (e.g. dropping frames).
What have you set gpu_mem to? Some 4K hevc videos need gpu_mem=320.
yes the videos not running smoth are hdr videos.
is there still a timefram when hdr support will arrive?

gpu mem has already been set to 320.

there are no green blocks but blocks in general depenging on the video.
and the top rows of pixel are always grey.
Can you provide a sample file? I've not seen any videos with top line of pixels all grey.
Hi, same issue here with all my 2160p HDR HEVC files. Here's a (pretty bad, sorry) picture of my TV when the issue comes up, and here's a log extract with some extra info enabled for FFMEPG and video parts. I'd like to offer samples but I'm afraid the content may be copyrighted. Not sure if you'd be okay with the first few seconds of the files ?

You can somewhat see in the picture a grey band that spans the entire width of the top border of the image. Blocks that "come" from there stay grey. It will do that for the entire length of the movie.The file plays fine on a PC.

Hope I can help !
People just don't understand that HDR videos are not fully supported yet... even with lot's of threads about it in the forums.
The same about partial logs, only full debug logs are usefull.
Yeah, I understand that. popcornmix said they haven't seen any videos with the grey bar issue and I wanted to provide evidence that it's not an isolated case. I mean if we can help to speed up the process, it's all good. Sorry for the partial log only, if it is useless, so be it, it didn't take much time to provide.
(2020-04-05, 17:41)SupermanLeRetour Wrote: Hi, same issue here with all my 2160p HDR HEVC files. Here's a (pretty bad, sorry) picture of my TV when the issue comes up, and here's a log extract with some extra info enabled for FFMEPG and video parts. I'd like to offer samples but I'm afraid the content may be copyrighted. Not sure if you'd be okay with the first few seconds of the files ?

General policy here is that uploading a, say, one minute sample of a file for debugging purposes is fine under fair use.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi 4b Kodi 18.6 H.265 issues with 4K?0