Linux [Odroid c2 / Kodi 18.6] Slow SD upscaling but 1080p is fine as is upscaling in ffmpeg
Hi. I've got an Odroid C2 running Armbian, with the Lima open-source video drivers working fine (as best I can tell). This is hooked up to a TV that does 4k, but it goes via a receiver that only does HDMI1.4 so Kodi only sees up to 1080p60 advertised. The interface is running at 1080p, and is smooth. I've tried playing some Blu-Rays that I ripped myself, at 1080p, and the debug onscreen info shows about 12-13fps, but it seems a lot smoother than that. However, if I try to run old SD content (the file in question is h264, but 704x436), then it stutters and jerks a lot, and the onscreen info also shows 12-13fps. If I toggle view modes (the 'z' key) then in the "Original" view mode, the SD video appears more smoothly, although the debug onscreen only shows about 20-22fps. I've also tested some 720p videos, they appear less jerky than SD content, but more jerky than the 1080p, when viewed fullscreen, but appear normal when viewed in "Original" view. From these, it would seem that my system is having trouble upscaling content, but I cannot work out why that should be.

For the record, if I just try to use ffmpeg directly (with ffplay) to play any content, then said content works fine when full-screened, using whatever upscaling that comes with ffmpeg.

I tried to disable the HQ upscaling within Kodi, but I appear to not have any options with regards to the upscalers, except for the "Enable HQ scalers for scaling above", which I've set to 30%. It only goes up to 100%, but my old SD content is 436p so I'd need a setting of around 150% to disable HQ upscaling completely.

I have a debug log file at https://paste.kodi.tv/ijivahexof.kodi - note that it first has me viewing 1080p content (The Force Awakens), and then SD (The West Wing).

Some other quick notes: glxinfo reports
    Max core profile version: 0.0
    Max compat profile version: 2.1
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0

and the kodi log file says "Failed to get an OpenGL context supporting core profile 3.2, using legacy mode with reduced feature set", which may be relevant. There's also a failure to create a VDPAU context, I don't know what to make of that.

Happy to test any suggestions to fix upscaling. I've tried to get my TV to do upscaling by whitelisting the various resolutions, but this appears to have had no impact, possibly because my video is not exactly 480p, so Kodi has to do some upscaling anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Odroid c2 / Kodi 18.6] Slow SD upscaling but 1080p is fine as is upscaling in ffmpeg0