nVidia Shield TV "tube" version (2019)
I looked not at the factory price tag.
The real prices (today) are 180€ and 160€.

dornie asked for the "tube" (not pro version from the shield tv).
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
(2020-04-16, 11:57)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 11:06)shrugg1e Wrote: Is money a big factor?

In germany you have to pay 20€ more to get the Apple TV 4K instead of shield tv.

Install MrMC (KODI Fork) or use the Plex App on Apple TV 4K and you will be happy:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219
You sure ? Ahh sorry we are in a Shield - Tube - thread....

32Gb Apple TV 4K = 199,00 €:

64Gb Apple TV 4K = 219,00 €:
https://www.apple.com/de/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv-4k

16GB 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro = 219,00 €:
https://www.nvidia.com/de-de/shield/

Why is Nvidia charging so much for eMMC Storage ?

Infuse (ATV 4K only) or MrMC App hooked into a Plex networked database = damn easy to do for newbies too. Smile   

The nVidia Shield TV being discussed in this thread is €169.99 Amazon DE Shield TV on Amazon.de in Germany.

You could equally ask why Apple don't include USB interfaces or support HD Audio bit streaming...  Each manufacturer has chosen a price point and functionality.  For some the ATV 4K is a better fit, for others the Shield TV and Shield TV Pro.
The nVidia Shield is out of stock everywhere, no way of finding one.

I can't wait so: the tube one with Kodi can run streaming of videos (not 4K) over a gigabit LAN from a simple NAS?

I was asking me if the NAS performance has a role in the chain or not. Because today I tried to stream from my NAS through an old WD TV Live media player and the video freeze and stucks after 10 minute, and the same video from an USB drive attached to the media player had run like a charm. So what's the problem here? I'm tired so tired to fighting for just watching a video without lag/frezees/problems.

Waiting for your precious advices! Thanks
(2020-04-19, 19:53)dornie Wrote: the tube one with Kodi can run streaming of videos (not 4K) over a gigabit LAN from a simple NAS?

I believe yes, but i havent one to check the performance.
(2020-04-19, 19:53)dornie Wrote: I was asking me if the NAS performance has a role in the chain or not. Because today I tried to stream from my NAS through an old WD TV Live media player and the video freeze and stucks after 10 minute, and the same video from an USB drive attached to the media player had run like a charm. So what's the problem here? I'm tired so tired to fighting for just watching a video without lag/frezees/problems.

If you streaming from a NAS the network performance is necessary, the lag problems are 90% in low network performance.
So if your NAS is on gigabit ethernet (no wifi!) and the streaming device too, everything will work fine.

So again: NAS on Gigabit + Apple TV 4K on Gigabit and everything work fine: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2941214
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
You said you got the NAS connected to the Wi-Fi router, but how is it done? Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?

For good performance, it must be wired.

Another thing to be considered is the Plex app. Are you running a Plex server on your NAS or a DLNA one?

If you're using it as a Plex server, it is known to transcode the media files before sending it to the client in order to lower network bandwidth usage. But in contrast, the server needs CPU capacity to do it.

The ideal scenario is the one you connect your NAS through Ethernet and run a SMB or NFS server on it.

This way you can get satisfactory 1080p playback result even with your Chromecast.

The next step would be to connect the client device (Chromecast or other) also through Ethernet.
(2020-04-20, 14:07)shrugg1e Wrote: If you streaming from a NAS the network performance is necessary, the lag problems are 90% in low network performance.
So if your NAS is on gigabit ethernet (no wifi!) and the streaming device too, everything will work fine.

So again: NAS on Gigabit + Apple TV 4K on Gigabit and everything work fine: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2941214 

My nas is a QNAP-TS253BE (gigabit) and the old media player is this one (frankly don't know if it's gigabit, bought 9 years ago). Nas is attached to the gigabit router. Media player is attached to a gigabit switch, and this last one to the router with a cable of some meters. Unless the media player isn't gigabit the network seems ok to me.
(2020-04-20, 21:03)The Brain Wrote: You said you got the NAS connected to the Wi-Fi router, but how is it done? Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?

For good performance, it must be wired.

Another thing to be considered is the Plex app. Are you running a Plex server on your NAS or a DLNA one?

If you're using it as a Plex server, it is known to transcode the media files before sending it to the client in order to lower network bandwidth usage. But in contrast, the server needs CPU capacity to do it.

The ideal scenario is the one you connect your NAS through Ethernet and run a SMB or NFS server on it.

This way you can get satisfactory 1080p playback result even with your Chromecast.

The next step would be to connect the client device (Chromecast or other) also through Ethernet.

Hi, it's all wired (for the details please check my last one post).

I'm running a plex server on the nas that it's not enough powerful, indeed I'm watching for a Tv box just for this.

How to run a smb/nfs and how controlling the videos to stream them to the tv? Actually I'm doing this by the plex application on my smartphone to the chromecast
Da du einen Computerbild Artikel verlinkt hast, gehe ich mal davon aus, dass du deutsch sprichst :-)

Dieser alte Mediaplayer sollte mal abgelöst werden, wenn du einfach nur "it just works" haben willst kauf dir nen Apple TV 4K.

Ist Plex gesetzt?
Ansonsten würde ich eine NFS Freigabe auf dem NAS einrichten ( https://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#QNAP ) und die App MrMC zum abspielen auf dem Apple TV installieren.
Das lagert die Rechenarbeit vom NAS auf den Player aus und der Apple TV hat mehr als genügend Power.
(2020-04-21, 07:05)shrugg1e Wrote: Da du einen Computerbild Artikel verlinkt hast, gehe ich mal davon aus, dass du deutsch sprichst :-)

Dieser alte Mediaplayer sollte mal abgelöst werden, wenn du einfach nur "it just works" haben willst kauf dir nen Apple TV 4K.

Ist Plex gesetzt?
Ansonsten würde ich eine NFS Freigabe auf dem NAS einrichten ( https://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#QNAP ) und die App MrMC zum abspielen auf dem Apple TV installieren.
Das lagert die Rechenarbeit vom NAS auf den Player aus und der Apple TV hat mehr als genügend Power.

Ops! I don't speak your language, sorry. Could you write in english? thanks Smile
I currently have the "tube" version and I'm running Plex on it and also Kodi. I have 4k remux on my server and when I play the movies they just seem all dull looking. I have tried messing with the color space things and it still seems dull. I play the same file on my Apple TV 4K and it's way brighter and the HDR pops a lot more. I'm not sure what the issue is.
(2020-04-23, 01:14)littlepooch21 Wrote: I currently have the "tube" version and I'm running Plex on it. I have 4k remux on my server and when I play the movies they just seem all dull looking. I have tried messing with the color space things and it still seems dull. I play the same file on my Apple TV 4K and it's way brighter and the HDR pops a lot more. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Isn't that a question for Plex?
(2020-04-22, 22:34)dornie Wrote:
(2020-04-21, 07:05)shrugg1e Wrote: Da du einen Computerbild Artikel verlinkt hast, gehe ich mal davon aus, dass du deutsch sprichst :-)

Ist Plex gesetzt?

Ops! I don't speak your language, sorry. Could you write in english? thanks Smile 

Sorry, my false. I thought you speak german because you have linked a german Website.

Your old Mediaplayer should be replaced. If you want the "it just works" feeling than buy an Apple TV 4K and you will be happy.

Just set an NFS Share on your NAS (see Link in my old Post), this will bring the computing power to your new and powerful Mediaplayer and away from the NAS.
I have the tube version and whenever I start up Kodi there is a weird audio glitch. It's makes a double sound kind of like a crackle, hard to describe really. I don't have that issue when opening any other apps. Any suggestions? Thanks.
(2020-04-23, 09:12)Hitcher Wrote:
(2020-04-23, 01:14)littlepooch21 Wrote: I currently have the "tube" version and I'm running Plex on it. I have 4k remux on my server and when I play the movies they just seem all dull looking. I have tried messing with the color space things and it still seems dull. I play the same file on my Apple TV 4K and it's way brighter and the HDR pops a lot more. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Isn't that a question for Plex? 
I'm sorry. It's also not looking right on Kodi either.
Does your TV switch to HDR mode?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV "tube" version (2019)0