Pi 4b - VC1 1920x1080 playback stuttering/juddering
Despite using a Pi3b+ for a few years to run OSMC Kodi from my NAS, I'll admit I'm a complete noob!  I've upgraded to a Pi4B as I've recently bought a 4k TV and some 4k blu-rays and just expected it to work out of the box like the 3B.

All of my Blu-rays have been ripped with MakeMKV.  The ones that are VC1 1920x1080 have awful frame rates (unwatchable) during playback and looking at the system info, one core of the processor is pegged at >98% constantly (which is what I assume is the problem).  To a lesser extent a few h264 files are the same.

I've done some searching and as a result have downloaded Handbrake and tried re-encoding the MKV file with Handbrake to h265.  After 12 hours of processing(!), which turned a 30GB rip in to a 3GB MKV, I watched the new file and it was pretty much the same - unwatchable with stuttering/juddering frame rates.

I've tried changing settings (fiddling with the MMAL settings, resolutions, etc.) but haven't had any success.  Is there anything obvious that someone can give me some pointers on?

Thanks for the help Smile
About VC1 problem, it is a known bug, check this: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=353050
About h264, if it is 1080p max, it should be fine as it is hardware decoded. 10 bit h264 is not supported by the hardware decoder so that may not work fine.
About h265, it should be fine also, if it is 4K max and not HDR. HDR will only work fine on Kodi 19.
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for the explanation.

I did see that other thread but I wasn't sure if it was the same problem as mine is definitely dropping frames rather than speeding up and slowing down.

I spent a couple of hours today going through the library and checking all of the 1080p MKVs. I must've been mistaken beforehand (probably down to me blindly changing settings in an attempt to resolve the problem) as the h264 1080p seem to play on and it's definitely only the VC1 MKVs that aren't right.

The lack of HDR would explain why the 4k MKVs look so washed out.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon in a future update.

Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi 4b - VC1 1920x1080 playback stuttering/juddering0