Solved Help with debugging why subtitles in an mkv with font file attached doesn't display
Hi,

I've got a strange issue that may not be related to Kodi directly but I'm hoping somebody here will have a clue as to where to look.

Basically I'm playing a video in an mkv container with a subtitles stream and a ttf file attached for its fonts - I can see the video properly but there are no subtitles displayed. I tried tweaking all the font options in Settings without problems.
I checked that libass and fontconfig are OK, that there are no related errors in Kodi or X logs.

While trying to debug the issue, I discovered that if I ssh -Y to the box (thus redirecting the X display to the laptop I ssh from), I could run Kodi and the video would display *with the subtitles properly*.
I switched on DEBUG on the Video component and can't see anything strange, except that I get this when the subtitles don't work:
CDVDSubtitlesLibass: [ass] fontselect: (Baar Sophia, 400, 0) -> BaarSophia, 0, BaarSophia
CDVDSubtitlesLibass: [ass] fontselect: (Baar Sophia, 400, 100) -> BaarSophia, 0, BaarSophia
while getting only one of those when the subtitles do work:
CDVDSubtitlesLibass: [ass] fontselect: (Baar Sophia, 400, 0) -> BaarSophia, 0, BaarSophia

Full DEBUG logs:
Video without subtitles: <removed>
Video with subtitles: <removed>

Any ideas anybody? I tried DEBUG on other components (e.g., ffmpeg) but they wouldn't shed more light on the issue. All the calls to libass also look OK to me, but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks!

Gabriel
So, for whoever lands here, I basically "fixed" this by either upgrading to 18.7.1 or using Kodi on Xwayland or both.  I don't have time to investigate what was wrong and "it just works" now, so good luck if you bumped into the same issue!
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with debugging why subtitles in an mkv with font file attached doesn't display0