Solved Copy config to thumbdrive
Howdy.  I did a couple of searches on this, so apologies if I missed it.

I have a solid Kodi installation on my Win7 HTPC.  I'd like to copy it to a thumb drive so I can run it on other Win10 laptops.  Is this possible, and if so - how?

Thanks!
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
This will have to be done with the same iteration Kodi installation. I suggest installing a portable installation of Kodi to each USB target with win 10, ensure it's functionality before we get to the hard part, which entails copying the entire 'Roaming/Kodi' folder into USB:\Leia\Kodi\portable_data and you should be good. Do not delete the win7 set-up until you are satisfied. I should note any path irregularities e.g. sources are not exactly in the same place with the same drive letters will invalidate the library. I should also note, that the Kodi installation will install into the windows system certain needed resources, so it's important to use the correct o/s for the installs. Just plugging in the USB into a new computer and trying to launch Kodi will likely result in failure without these needed o/s visual c++ resources.
(2020-07-09, 03:08)PatK Wrote: This will have to be done with the same iteration Kodi installation. I suggest installing a portable installation of Kodi to each USB target with win 10, ensure it's functionality before we get to the hard part, which entails copying the entire 'Roaming/Kodi' folder into USB:\Leia\Kodi\portable_data and you should be good. Do not delete the win7 set-up until you are satisfied. I should note any path irregularities e.g. sources are not exactly in the same place with the same drive letters will invalidate the library. I should also note, that the Kodi installation will install into the windows system certain needed resources, so it's important to use the correct o/s for the installs. Just plugging in the USB into a new computer and trying to launch Kodi will likely result in failure without these needed o/s visual c++ resources.

PatK - Thanks for your response.  To confirm, I'm wanting to make a 'mobile' installation on the USB drive that I can run on a Win10 laptop simply by plugging it in.
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
(2020-07-09, 05:28)dshorrosh Wrote: I'm wanting to make a 'mobile' installation on the USB drive
I think I got that part. Recommend: load up win 10, toss in the USB device and install Kodi to that device (the installation will install the visual c++ resources in that windows 10 set-up). Ensure it's functionality launching with only the -p parameter as noted in the wiki. If previously you have exported meta-data to separate files, set your sources folders/drives and use the 'local information' as your scraper.... it will all go smoothly and quickly.

If your USB is plugged into a strangers PC, that PC would need visual c++ resources, and your media sources should be local (on the USB stick with the correct drive letter) and you might have to punch a hole through your firewall for Kodi.
(2020-07-09, 17:23)PatK Wrote:
(2020-07-09, 05:28)dshorrosh Wrote: I'm wanting to make a 'mobile' installation on the USB drive
I think I got that part. Recommend: load up win 10, toss in the USB device and install Kodi to that device (the installation will install the visual c++ resources in that windows 10 set-up). Ensure it's functionality launching with only the -p parameter as noted in the wiki. If previously you have exported meta-data to separate files, set your sources folders/drives and use the 'local information' as your scraper.... it will all go smoothly and quickly.

If your USB is plugged into a strangers PC, that PC would need visual c++ resources, and your media sources should be local (on the USB stick with the correct drive letter) and you might have to punch a hole through your firewall for Kodi.
Thanks for confirming.  FWIW this is so I can have a kodi window / 2nd screen on my work or personal laptop while WFH.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
(2020-07-10, 05:14)dshorrosh Wrote:
(2020-07-09, 17:23)PatK Wrote:

Thanks for confirming.  FWIW this is so I can have a kodi window / 2nd screen on my work or personal laptop while WFH.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Works slicker than a whistle - thanks for your guidance!
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copy config to thumbdrive0