Solved Newbie question here about setup
I have been using a cloud media popcorn hour c200 for years and the time has come where its at the end of its life expectancy.  I decided to test out a Rasp PI4 8gb using libreelec.  My popcorn has about 16 external usb drives hooked up to it directly using JBOD and I have a HP EX495 nas.  I have used this setup for years and have it fairly dialed in, but its time to change before it completely goes obsolete.  All movies are in their own folders, mkv mainly, with a linked poster, fanart and nfo files.  Again, this works fine for me with no issues.

I have set up the Rasp PI4 and it seems to be functioning ok.  I can hook an external test drive to it and it does scrape the movies.  I will have to do a bunch of file renames though.  but before I do this, I want to get it to connect to my nas and it will just not find it.  I can remote into my nas from a pc no problem and even access the files on it over the home network.  I just can not get rasp and kodi to find it.  I assume I am missing a setting somewhere.  I did use the noobs setup for kodi.  I can wipe everything if needed as I am testing to see how I like it.  I have noticed is seems pretty slow to scrape and to move through the menus but first things first, I need the nas online.

My nas does home computer backups and thats where I place an new movies and tv shows and when I have enough, I put them to the external drives all at once  to free up nas space and start again.
I have been playing with it a little more.  I am not the most tech savvy guy either.

I use a windows 10 PC and can easily remote into the HP EX495.  I know the system is old, but it has worked just fine for me.

Under the file folder in windows, I can see in the networks area my popcorn hour, my nas and the new rasp pi4 with a USB drive I attached to test movies and tv.

I can see the contents of all devices and play from each along with copy to and from.

I believe the HP Nas is a SMB protocol.   I looked in the windows media software and share id checked for my videos, music, photos.

I just can not figure out how to get the PI4 to see the NAS.  If all this works out, my plan is to put all usb HDD's on the PI4 entertainment room setup, keep the nas and then put additional PI4s in other rooms as players only,  Will that work?
Im still playing with it.  I just installed kodi on my windows 10pc.  Nothing has changed in my setup as in no equipment has been turned off or rebooted.  With the windows pc I was able to see the smb network which included my nas and popcorn hour along with the rasp Pi4.  I did the exact same thing I have been doing with the Pi and its quick and simple on the pc.  I still cant see the smb network on the rasp Pi4.  I was even able to scan the usb drive on the rasp pi4 and play them on the pc.  So this is obviously a setting somewhere on the Rasp PI4 that I just cant find.

any help or ideas?

Also speed is night and day on the scanning.  Guess that will be my next step.  I currently have my library file for my popcorn on the NAS and all my other popcorns point to it and can play movies from it.  Is this kodi possible?
From what you describe (and from it's age), I would expect your NAS is sharing files via SMB1. By default LibreElec has SMB2 set as its minimum protocol to use.

You can downgrade that - if you go to the LibreElec configuration addon and the service tab in it, you should see settings for both the max and min SMB levels. Change the minimum from SMB2 to SMB1 and try again.

Note that SMB1 has largely been retired from usage by the community, as it has several major security flaws in it. If you want details, search "Wannacry" on your web browser of choice.

SMB1 is the only SMB version which has browsing capabilities. If you want to use SMB2 or SMB3 (presuming your NAS actually supports those) then you cannot use the browse options to find your devices on your network. Instead you will have to go via the "add network location..." option (at the bottom of the add sources list) and manually enter the NAS's IP address and other credentials, rather than browsing. You will also need to use suitable user credentials (username and password) for logging into the NAS, as SMB2/3 do not support anonymous connections.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I actually had changed it prior to smb1 minimum with smb3 max with no luck.  I just changed max to smb1 and nothing.  I also connected directly to the router instead of the hub I use as a test and no luck.  

Using my PC everything seems to connect just fine.  its the PI4 that is obviously the issue for connectivity.

I also did reboot the pi4 after I made the changed just in case.
If you use the add network location option and manually add the IP address of the NAS, does that work (with suitable user/password credentials and share name)?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Using the address that works on the PC, I copied it over exactly when I go so "Add video source".  When I click ok, I get a popup "operation not permitted" with only ok to select.  I then get unable to connect with the couldn't retrieve directory information.  This could be due to the network not being connected.  WOuld you like to add it anyway.  yes or no and I choose yes.  and nothing.

Using the IP i just get the unable t connect error and would you like to add it anyway.  I choose yes and then asks if I want to rescan and I choose yes and nothing.

I really appreciate the help you are giving.  no where has it asked for a user or password.  With the PC finding it, I never had to input anything.  My PC is only a couple years old and a high end desktop thats up to date if that means anything.

On a side not,  I am using an old 16gb micro sd. (not sure the transfer speeds)  Tomorrow I should have my 128gb extreme ultra fast one (up to 170mb/s it claims).  Do you think that could account for the PI4 slowness?
Under add video source, which option are you using? If you try SMB then it will not work. As said above, you need to use "add network location" at the bottom of the list, and there select SMB from the top line (choosing which protocol to use) and below that the other details, including the log-in credentials.

Do not use the SMB option directly under add video source, as that will by default try to use SMB1 and will fail.

The fact that the PC is not asking for a password though would indicate that it is probably using SMB1, and that you have that enabled on the PC still. That may not be a good idea from a network security viewpoint, but if you're careful then it may be ok for a home network.

And yes, the SD card speed can have a major influence on how fast the Pi works.

Kodi Blog Posts
OMG....problem solved!!

I knew it had to be something simple.  I found a legacy security slider that was off in settings.  Changed that to on and I can see everything.

Thank you for all the help.
Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie question here about setup0