Pi 3 or Pi 4
Hi.
I have and use a Pi 3 B loaded with libre elec leia 18.2 and it works reasonably well even though my BB speed is about 4.2 meg, I have received a Pi 4 kit as a gift. will upgrading from the 3 to 4 make that much difference?
regards
Brian
The RPi4 has about 25% more CPU "oompf", but I have no idea what "BB speed" is.
The RPi4 can handle HEVC files much better, and it has better connectivity: USB3.0 + faster ethernet.
Overall there is a snappier response. Don't expect life-changing miracles.
(2020-10-08, 13:17)Klojum Wrote: The RPi4 has about 25% more CPU "oompf", but I have no idea what "BB speed" is.
The RPi4 can handle HEVC files much better, and it has better connectivity: USB3.0 + faster ethernet.
Overall there is a snappier response. Don't expect life-changing miracles.

BB speed= broadband speed.
Yuor internet speed won't make that much of a difference, because 4.2 MB/s (or 4.2 Mb/s?) can be easily handled by the RPi3 as well.
(2020-10-09, 11:10)Klojum Wrote: Yuor internet speed won't make that much of a difference, because 4.2 MB/s (or 4.2 Mb/s?) can be easily handled by the RPi3 as well.

Hi, yes but my original Q I'm using a Pi 3 at the moment, will swapping it for a Pi 4 make that much difference to performance ?
regards
(2020-10-09, 11:37)longshanks Wrote: Hi, yes but my original Q I'm using a Pi 3 at the moment, will swapping it for a Pi 4 make that much difference to performance ?

The RPI4 has gigabit internet, however, real world values show 300-400Mb/s throughput speeds, which is of course quite faster than a 100Mb/s port on the RPi3 (which also does not reach its full potential, btw).
(2020-10-09, 12:15)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-10-09, 11:37)longshanks Wrote: Hi, yes but my original Q I'm using a Pi 3 at the moment, will swapping it for a Pi 4 make that much difference to performance ?

The RPI4 has gigabit internet, however, real world values show 300-400Mb/s throughput speeds, which is of course quite faster than a 100Mb/s port on the RPi3 (which also does not reach its full potential, btw).
Thanks for your reply perhaps I should mention I only intend to use it with Kodi for streaming.
If you're saying your broadband speed is 4 Mbps, then using a RPi 3 or 4 won't make any difference to that. And anything you are managing to stream at those low speeds could be handled by both devices. The RPi 4 will be a bit snappier at navigating around but your broadband speed really is irrelevant to the question.
(2020-10-09, 17:17)FXB78 Wrote: If you're saying your broadband speed is 4 Mbps, then using a RPi 3 or 4 won't make any difference to that. And anything you are managing to stream at those low speeds could be handled by both devices. The RPi 4 will be a bit snappier at navigating around but your broadband speed really is irrelevant to the question.

Thank you,
(2020-10-09, 12:15)Klojum Wrote:

Where do you see those results? I regularly get 850Mbps+ for external speedtests and 920Mbps+ for my internal network with iperf3.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
Those were initial speed results when the RPi4 just came out. Perhaps the newer firmware version from June (?) has implemented network improvements.
They sound like Pi3+ numbers. Gig ethernet over USB2 tends to cap out at 300-400Mbps.
I believe Pi4 even on launch was getting significantly higher numbers.
I never did any further speed testing with the RPi4. It "works".
(2020-10-13, 18:19)popcornmix Wrote: They sound like Pi3+ numbers. Gig ethernet over USB2 tends to cap out at 300-400Mbps.
I believe Pi4 even on launch was getting significantly higher numbers.

Yep - I was going to say the same thing.  Those figures are very similar to those of the Pi 3B+ with its onboard GigE over USB 2.0 solution.  The Pi 4B was a lot better than that at launch ISTR.  I get much faster speeds from attached storage via GigE from a Pi 4B+ I use as a small media server/TV Headend recorder.
See, the Latest version is always better. But if you switch from RPI 3 to 4, You will have to change Power Supply, New  MINI HDMI cable. also, More heat generated in RPI 4 so an additional Heat sink is required. For normal streaming, you won't notice much difference. I am Still using RPI 2, around 8-10 hours a day. If the file format is HEVC then you will need RPI 4.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi 3 or Pi 40