View Music Library By "Album Artist"
@black_eagle 
@DaveBlake 

Thanks for all your help, guys.

The Android path doesn't appear to be correct. I'll keep looking.
If I can't find it, I'll try Dave's easier approach to see if that suits my needs.
I don't have the patience with Android like I do with Windows. No

I don't know why Kodi doesn't have both Album and Album Artist by default.
Every Windows music player I have ever used has both.
I think I have found the path, but there is already a music and video folder in there, and I can see the default nodes XML files.

The path is:
Browse to your internal shared storage or SD Card, then browse along the following path.
android/data/org.xmbc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/library

But I think you are talking about two different library locations. System and userdata. So, I guess I need to find another location.

Edit: I found this other path.
Root/mnt/sdcard/android/data/org.xmbc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/library
(2020-10-21, 01:11)Dypsis Wrote: I think I have found the path, but there is already a music and video folder in there, and I can see the default nodes XML files.

That will be the one you need to copy, I think.  Not using Android so it's difficult to be certain but if it contains all the default node XML files then I would guess it is the right one.  You need to copy it to the non-system userdata/library location.

The way that the node loading works is that if Kodi finds any nodes in your personal userdata/library directory it ignores all of the ones in the system directory and loads the ones in your userdata dir instead.  You can easily determine if you have the right place by just creating the one node and re-starting Kodi.  If all the other nodes have gone then you are in the right place.  Then you can either copy all the original ones across or just the ones you want.

Android is awkward because the paths can change between different versions and hardware so it's difficult to give a definitive location.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-10-21, 00:51)Dypsis Wrote: I don't know why Kodi doesn't have both Album and Album Artist by default.
Every Windows music player I have ever used has both.
There is an historic  reason why the "Show both song and album artists" setting is enabled by default, and the artists node shows both song and album artists. When Kodi first became "Musicbrainz enabled" and started using their ids (when available) to identify artists there were all kinds of problems, related to partially user edited/inconsistent tags and weak generally handling of songs/albums with multiple artists. This was fixed over time, including using additional tags, and Kodi made more robust, however users needed an easy way to see that their tagging was inconsistent and Kodi was struggling to identify artists from it. When things had "gone wrong" it was often with artist guest appearences on songs, and either Musicbrainz id would be saved as the artist name or a several artists would be saved as one. Both are most obvious when looking at the list of song + album artists, hence showing it as artists node.

I have had in mind to change the default menu to have separate "Album artists" and "Album + Song artists" nodes, but it is hard to know what the novice user really wants to see.

Ideally the Library node editor addon will get updated too, making the creation of custom nodes, and changes in layout easier for users to make.
@black_eagle 
@DaveBlake 

Hi guys. Thanks for all your help.
I tried out Dave's suggestion of disabling the setting, "Show song and album artists" and decided that it should do me for now, so I haven't yet revisited the library files option.

All the best... Music
If you've tried library node editor addon. I believe that copies the system library nodes to your userdata library so you don't have to do it yourself.  It's just a case of adding your new node xml file as a new music library node.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
View Music Library By "Album Artist"0