Intel NUC vs AMD
I am looking at replacing an aging 10yr old Intel PC which is currently running dual boot libreElec for Kodi and Windows 10 for very light Steam gaming.
Kodi is mostly used for playing recorded 1080p TV from mythtv as well as some DVD/bluray rips.

I need something small and have been looking at two options so far:
- Intel NUC10i3FNH (i3-10110U)
- ASUS PN50 (AMD Ryzen 3 4300U)

Both are overkill in terms of performance but hopefully they will last me another 10 years.

Which would be best for playback and support, Intel or AMD? The AMD is more powerful but I wasn't sure if the support is as good.
Are there any other recommended mini PCs that would handle light gaming?
The PN50 is a great choice. I dont think you would have any regrets if you choose it.

https://youtu.be/AYkfxmQw07w
(2020-10-21, 16:20)smee204 Wrote: I am looking at replacing an aging 10yr old Intel PC which is currently running dual boot libreElec for Kodi and Windows 10 for very light Steam gaming.
Kodi is mostly used for playing recorded 1080p TV from mythtv as well as some DVD/bluray rips.

Both are overkill in terms of performance but hopefully they will last me another 10 years.

Which would be best for playback and support, Intel or AMD? The AMD is more powerful but I wasn't sure if the support is as good.

I'm in the same situation, tired of Intel nuc not supporting native hdmi 2.x and really interested in this pn50 nucs.

I want to know if hdmi cec is working on windows and how is working.

Is the nuc going to power on when i power on the tv? Or only when i switch to the assigned hdmi input?

When i switch back from this input back to another hdmi or tv, what's going to happen? Power of? Stand by?

Thank you.
(2020-10-21, 16:20)smee204 Wrote: I need something small and have been looking at two options so far:
Wait for Intel Tiger Lake NUC/board/SBC.

e.g. https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBarebone...-rev-10#kf
(2020-10-25, 10:47)cucol Wrote:
(2020-10-21, 16:20)smee204 Wrote: I am looking at replacing an aging 10yr old Intel PC which is currently running dual boot libreElec for Kodi and Windows 10 for very light Steam gaming.

I'm in the same situation, tired of Intel nuc not supporting native hdmi 2.x and really interested in this pn50 nucs.

I want to know if hdmi cec is working on windows and how is working.

Is the nuc going to power on when i power on the tv? Or only when i switch to the assigned hdmi input?

When i switch back from this input back to another hdmi or tv, what's going to happen? Power of? Stand by?

Thank you.
I just got one to test hdmi cec on the asus pn50, 

fresh windows 10 late 2020
amd chipset drivers and gpu adrenaline drivers
kodi
HDMi 2.1 cable to a LG C7V 65

Latest bios as of today, there are a few cec bios settins, you can control what u want to do when TV shuts down (stanby os button, power off button, nothing) for wakeup when tv turns on (disabled, froms s3, s4, s5)

Hibernate/stanby button is working fine when you power off/on the TV 

When you power on the TV if the pn50 is shutdown (s5) will not come back, but works fine on wake up from hibernate

So hdmi cec is working "fine" btween my lg and pn50 on wu/shutdown.

But not working at all controlling the kodi/windows 10
i checked the settings / input / on kodi but there is nohing there, just empty and no hdmicec 

im not sure if there is something missing, but may be just my old LG not doing good cec. Just the power command is working at windows, shutting down windows fine. maybe asus just implemented the power on/of part of cec, idk. Just dont work on my pn50/lg c7v

Anyway the when i press the lg direction pad on the remote, the tv just go for the "tv" settings, not even tries to "send" cec commands. Idk, maybe someone can help me to test something to know if this is a TV or PN50 limitation. 

LG got a magic controller funtion and you can set the hdmi1 to a Microsoft Box, and this works on windows 10 and kodi, but is iR emulation, and you lose the power on/off part of hdmi cec (ir emulation seems to disable cec completely)

So i cant throw my armony remote and just use the LG remote for everything, ir emulation cant handle power on/off the asus, but fine on kodi/windows directions and enter, and cant use CEC because just works on hibertante/wu, but wont on controlling windwos/kodi.
Just found intel nuc has the exact same settings on bios, and cleary they said that this is only for power on/off cec functionality. So this is 99% sure the same thing from asus.

https://www.intel.es/content/www/es/es/s...-kits.html
@cucol

Please use this forum's feature to reply via a selected text portion. Use your mouse to select that text of the post in question, and click on the newly appearing Reply option at the left bottom of that post. It works pretty simple.
Quoting an entire larger post with adding only 1 or 2 reply lines can look rather obnoxious (and I hate useless scrolling). Thanks in advance. Smile
(2020-11-03, 18:58)cucol Wrote: Just found intel nuc has the exact same settings on bios, and cleary they said that this is only for power on/off cec functionality. So this is 99% sure the same thing from asus.

I've tested the Intel nuc cec and it's working fine, just go to bios activate all cec settings and just works.

Lg tv will power on the nuc if you select the hdmi source, and will only power off windows if you power off the tv, won't do it if you switch from nuc to tv, so imho works perfect.

And lg will do the ir remote emulation with the magic remote of your are on the hdmi of the nuc, just setup this hdmi as a Microsoft blue ray player.

I'm so happy, let's hope Intel include full cec on the tiger lake nucs
(2020-12-03, 18:40)cucol Wrote:
(2020-11-03, 18:58)cucol Wrote: Just found intel nuc has the exact same settings on bios, and cleary they said that this is only for power on/off cec functionality. So this is 99% sure the same thing from asus.

I've tested the Intel nuc cec and it's working fine, just go to bios activate all cec settings and just works.

Lg tv will power on the nuc if you select the hdmi source, and will only power off windows if you power off the tv, won't do it if you switch from nuc to tv, so imho works perfect.

And lg will do the ir remote emulation with the magic remote of your are on the hdmi of the nuc, just setup this hdmi as a Microsoft blue ray player.

I'm so happy, let's hope Intel include full cec on the tiger lake nucs
so according to what you tested, these Kodi commands do not work in the Asus PN50, but do work in the Intel NUC??
CECActivateSource    Wake up playing device via a CEC peripheral
CECStandby    Put playing device on standby via a CEC peripheral
CECToggleState    Toggle state of playing device via a CEC peripheral
https://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_built-in_...ilt-in.27s
Not to change the thread topic but I'm curious how you run your games? Are they Steam based, or do you have a more powerful machine in the house that you game on as well? If so then I'd suggest you look into Steam Link remote play instead of replacing a working machine.

I run Xubuntu on my Dell Optiplex 3010 i5 (ivy bridge) in the living room and I have it autostart Kodi. I can press \ and get windowed mode and run Steam. From there I can stream the games from my main desktop. It seems to work perfectly. It also runs non Steam games. You need only add them to your Steam library. I've been playing World Of Warcraft like this for awhile now. The only downside, if there is one is that your Windows or other source computer is "in use" while streaming. Not a huge issue if you only have 1 or 2 people in the house that use that machine. Will work with wireless although ethernet is preferred.

Is something to consider anyway before tossing a machine that works fine thus far.
(2020-12-29, 11:17)shmizan Wrote:
(2020-11-03, 18:58)cucol Wrote:  
so according to what you tested, these Kodi commands do not work in the Asus PN50, but do work in the Intel NUC??
Ive tested it for just 1 hour, so as i said, everithing works but power on the devide from full shutdown on the asus, wakeup device via cec works, put playing device on standby works too and togle state works fine too.

everithing works but power on from full shutdown on the asus + c7v

On intel on the other hand, power on works just fine too.

This is my experience, with the current lastest bios and c7v firmware as of post date. May be fixed now. I cant test it.
(2021-01-11, 12:47)cucol Wrote:
Ive tested it for just 1 hour, so as i said, everithing works but power on the devide from full shutdown on the asus, wakeup device via cec works, put playing device on standby works too and togle state works fine too.

everithing works but power on from full shutdown on the asus + c7v

On intel on the other hand, power on works just fine too.

This is my experience, with the current lastest bios and c7v firmware as of post date. May be fixed now. I cant test it.
hey, I just got the pn50, but am unable to control via CEC.
I am aware that you only kept it for a short time, but maybe you'll remember enough to help me Smile
my setup is a samsung tv, yamaha avr, and the pn50.
I also have a CoreELEC device running the same Kodi version, and the CEC setup is working 100%.

I tried mapping CECActivateSource to a remote button (<z>CECActivateSource</z>) but nothing happens.
it seems from your earlier posts that you too didn't get customized control from Kodi on CEC:

"But not working at all controlling the kodi/windows 10
i checked the settings / input / on kodi but there is nohing there, just empty and no hdmicec "

so I am unclear if you managed to turn on the TV thru Kodi's CEC commands?
I keep the pn50 on all the time, so at the end of the day I just want to have a 1 click power TV+AVR, which worked fine when I had a button mapped to CECActivateSource in CoreELEC, but doesn't work in this case.
(2021-02-17, 09:13)shmizan Wrote:
(2021-01-11, 12:47)cucol Wrote:
sorry for the late response, but u just need to go to the bios and enable CEC options. But as i said, this will only work for power on/power off your pn50, u cant move in kodi interface or play pause movies.

Enable CEC on your tv and bios and thats it, your tv remote should power on the asus when u power on the tv and shutdown when u power off tv. (power on from s5 never worked for me on my Lg + pn50, but did fine on nuc10 + lg)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC vs AMD0